Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: who would you want as new pitching coach

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    As I posted a week ago, conclusion was Hernandez has to be the 1st to go.

My choice for new PC would be bring McDo-well back

"In reading many threads on this board, the over all problem appears to be pitching. Of those suggested to be traded are mostly pitchers except for the obvious Kemp, Markakis, and Matt Adams.

Has anyone really looked at the Braves pitching problems? J.Johnson's regression, Julio's regression, the lack of progress to being an MLB elite pitcher by Folty, and the poor development of Sims, Newcomb, Wisler, and many others to MLB competent pitchers. They have been developed as throwers, not pitchers,

Who is responsible for poor development?? Chuck Hernandez

Who is Hernandez? He was the Braves MiLB roving pitching coordinator in '16. Prior to that he was pitching coach in Miami('13-'15). With the like of Jose Fernandez, Alvarez, Koehler and Haren on the staffs, how could it not be possible to have success? Moving on, he was an assistant coach at U of S.Fla.

Stops in the GCL and Cleveland(BP coach), and from '06 to '08 was coach at Detroit(Verlander rookie year) and 9 years with Rays as MiLB coach and 2 years as MLB pitching coach.

Not a sterling resume. Only 3 year MLB PC stint was in Miami, all other MLB PC stints were 2 years or less.

J. Johnson made a statement that the only reason he signed 2 year deal was to pitch under McDowell(great sinker guy).Hernandez has been unable to take a very young staff and make pitchers out of them. Even Folty and Julio are now throwers. Extremely high pitch counts are causing many problems. Has been a topic of concern by our broadcast crew more and more. Sims "Ford Keys to success" today(game 3 vs Cubs) was to keep pitch count at 15 PPI. 15 is 3 higher than Leo promoted. Sims actual PC was 73(39 strikes) in 3 IP(24 PPI avg).

If you're going to fire people, JS has drawn a great amount of ire on this board,, Hernandez needs to be the 1st to go IMO."

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to salmagundy For This Useful Post:

Garmel (09-16-2017), JohnAdcox (09-16-2017), rico43 (09-16-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    As a reliever, JJ likely signed the longest deal he could get. I doubt RM was more than a tertiary reason for it.
    Ivermectin Man

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    He gave a lot of extra life to washed up pitchers.

Burkett, Jose Cabrera, Seanez always did well with us, Chris Hammond, Rem, Holmes, Alfonseca.

He had some failures he couldn't magically fix like Blowberto, Retisma, Belinda, etc.
    The plus list is quite a bit longer ... two decent seasons from Mike Hampton, El Presidente, and I still don't know how we got a 21-win season out of Russ Ortiz.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (09-18-2017)

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    I'm afraid Smoltz has gone national, but Glav is still firmly rooted in Atlanta with the Braves as an advisor. He would be, I'd guess, a tremendous teacher and he would likely draw heavily from the Book of Leo.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Ortiz really benefited from the offense of that team. He was never a good pitcher. That same season he lead the league in walks with 102 and had an ERA near 4. While the win total is nice, he was winning some of those games 10-9, not exactly a wonderful stat for a starting pitcher.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Ortiz was valuable for providing 200+ innings even up to the point of being acquiring. So anything that he did above and beyond should be considered gravy. That should be looked at as asset management with Damian Moss coming off a 15 win season (if not mistaken?) and then nothing after. Heaven forbid JS should be given credit for anything though...
    Last edited by Knucksie; 09-16-2017 at 07:56 PM.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter31 View Post
    Ortiz really benefited from the offense of that team. He was never a good pitcher. That same season he lead the league in walks with 102 and had an ERA near 4. While the win total is nice, he was winning some of those games 10-9, not exactly a wonderful stat for a starting pitcher.
    It goes against the grain here, but Maddux said (and paraphrasing slightly) that the most important consideration was "Did your team win when you pitched?"

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    It goes against the grain here, but Maddux said (and paraphrasing slightly) that the most important consideration was "Did your team win when you pitched?"
    Indeed. Pitching, defense, and offense all contribute. Why pitchers get the 'win' I will never understand. It's a team game with a team result.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Ortiz was valuable for providing 200+ innings even up to the point of being acquiring. So anything that he did above and beyond should be considered gravy. That should be looked at as asset management with Damian Moss coming off a 15 win season (if not mistaken?) and then nothing after. Heaven forbid JS should be given credit for anything though...
    Ortiz was a good acquisition. He had a 3 WAR season that first year in Atlanta with the 21 wins. But that nice record was largely due to the Braves having one of the best offenses in their run of division titles.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...rticleid=32858

Good read. But as I read it, I couldn't help to think that our pitching coach should be fixing the two glaring problems. First how do you let a guy keep going out when he is tipping his pitches. Did chuckie even know. Second. I think the get ahead and then nibble with off speed approach is a staff wide problem and most likely being taught by Chuckie. I am still a believer in these young guys. I just hate we have awful coaches to help them learn.
    Coppy

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

buck75 (09-28-2017), Garmel (09-28-2017)