Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What should our lineup look like next year?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JxnMissFan View Post
    I'm good with trading from Stanton if they take back neck and Kemp. That would compensate for two bad years at the end of Stantons contract. Because of his contract i think he will be traded for a big group of lottery ticket type guys. I wouldn't give up one of the braves top 8 prospects for him if I have to take all the money risk.

I think the odds of his opt out are at best 50/50. To make it worth opting out he would have to get a 190 million dollar contract. A 190 million contact eliminates over have the teams at the start. Then you have to eliminate teams that wouldn't need him. So his pool of possible opportunities to opt out gets really small.
    I have a bet proposal for you too, though it will take 3 years to see who wins. I win if he opts out. You win if he doesn't.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I have a bet proposal for you too, though it will take 3 years to see who wins. I win if he opts out. You win if he doesn't.
    Oh good lord, I may regret signing up for the board now. I forgot how bet happy it is. And how bet happy I am lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Oh good lord, I may regret signing up for the board now. I forgot how bet happy it is. And how bet happy I am lol
    Don't worry. I don't bet with rookies.

"I am your retribution."

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    bet? I win if one of the following happens:

1) Stanton is not traded this off-season

2) he is traded but nets a positive return...ie what the Marlins get back is worth more than what they send over in addition to Stanton including cash (I am willing to allow you to be sole arbiter of whether this condition is met).
    This ain't the playground. I have no need to prove my manhood to you.

I think he will be traded and stand behind that. But, I don't control what all teams do. If someone is willing to step up and give big value for Stanton then good for them.

However, I think a smart FO would be ready with offers that address the Marlins real need which is to shed payroll.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    What's your proposal? This might me fun. Off the top of my head I can't think of a position player that has ever opted out of a 150 million plus contract. So this is uncharted territory. Kershaw will opt out of his big contract but I'm not sure how much he is owed.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    This ain't the playground. I have no need to prove my manhood to you.

I think he will be traded and stand behind that. But, I don't control what all teams do. If someone is willing to step up and give big value for Stanton then good for them.

However, I think a smart FO would be ready with offers that address the Marlins real need which is to shed payroll.
    The Marlins also have on of the worst farms in baseball and a pitching staff that they will never win with. They have many other needs aside from payroll and I'm certain the Marlins won't trade him unless they can address multiple needs. You just don't trade the reigning MVP to make payroll room, albeit Stanton's contract is uncharted territory.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    The Marlins also have on of the worst farms in baseball and a pitching staff that they will never win with. They have many other needs aside from payroll and I'm certain the Marlins won't trade him unless they can address multiple needs. You just don't trade the reigning MVP to make payroll room, albeit Stanton's contract is uncharted territory.
    I'm going by what they've indicated that they will do. Who knows, maybe they will go into 2018 with a $140M payroll. If they don't do that then they have no choice but to trade Stanton.

Let's say they are ok with a $100M payroll, then maybe they trade Stanton and ALL his salary (something far from certain) just for best package available something along the lines of Frazier, Florial and Chance Adams. OK, understandable.

But, if they need to get to $75M like they have said, then they have to find a taker for Prado, Tazawa and Ziegler at a minimum to trading Stanton. There's no way they find a taker for Chen or Volquez. And trading Yelich and Ozuna doesn't really move the needle enough.

They are in a classic position to tear the team down and build it back up again. It's not like they have a huge fanbase that they will lose. There is no real fanbase.

If it were me, I would use STanton to shed as much payroll as I could. Hold Chen and Volquez until they cycle out as part of my obligated payroll. Then use everybody else to best advantage to build the farm long term.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Despite the other banter, still trying to figure out why several people think that Carmago is even some kind of short term solution.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Despite the other banter, still trying to figure out why several people think that Carmago is even some kind of short term solution.
    Because he's been pretty good at a young age with great defense and a tangible increase in power?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Because he's been pretty good at a young age with great defense and a tangible increase in power?
    Responding back in the form of a question suggests that you're maybe not entirely sure yourself. Message board groupthink doesn't make it any more impressive. Doubt that Carmago is somebody who'll do much to help make the team better. Rio Ruiz is little more than a place holder. 3B is definitely a position that needs to be improved, and it shouldn't come as any surprise if it's addressed externally before the jury is out on Riley and Demeritte.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Flowers
    Freeman
    Albies
    Swanson
    Camargo
    FA
    Inciarte
    Acuna

From C to RF.

I'd love to add Lorenzo Cain.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Flowers
    Freeman
    Albies
    Swanson
    Camargo
    FA
    Inciarte
    Acuna

From C to RF.

I'd love to add Lorenzo Cain.
    I think that would be a classic instance of paying a guy for what he was not what he will be. Cain is past his prime and highly unlikely to be a good bet at the end of whatever contract he will get.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Responding back in the form of a question suggests that you're maybe not entirely sure yourself. Message board groupthink doesn't make it any more impressive. Doubt that Carmago is somebody who'll do much to help make the team better. Rio Ruiz is little more than a place holder. 3B is definitely a position that needs to be improved, and it shouldn't come as any surprise if it's addressed externally before the jury is out on Riley and Demeritte.
    Probably true.

The Braves appear to want to accelerate the rebuild. If that is the case, then they really can't go into 2018 with a Camargo/Ruiz platoon and can't wait for whatever Riley might be. The issue then is what do you do? Do you break the bank for a Moustakas? There doesn't seem to be payroll space for that (not considering if it's a good idea or not). Do you add a placeholder like Frazier or Walker? Again, money and viability. Do you try to trade for a 3B?

If they go with Camargo and Ruiz then the FO is signaling that 2018 is a growing year, not a competing year. That should have been the plan all along but hasn't been.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    Probably true.

The Braves appear to want to accelerate the rebuild. If that is the case, then they really can't go into 2018 with a Camargo/Ruiz platoon and can't wait for whatever Riley might be. The issue then is what do you do? Do you break the bank for a Moustakas? There doesn't seem to be payroll space for that (not considering if it's a good idea or not). Do you add a placeholder like Frazier or Walker? Again, money and viability. Do you try to trade for a 3B?

If they go with Camargo and Ruiz then the FO is signaling that 2018 is a growing year, not a competing year. That should have been the plan all along but hasn't been.
    The approach I would favor is to give Camargo/Ruiz 2 or 3 months. Go into the season with some budget saved. In a scenario where the team is above .500 in July but the trial at third doesn't work out, we can then make a mid-season move to upgrade at third.

"I am your retribution."

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    The approach I would favor is to give Camargo/Ruiz 2 or 3 months. Go into the season with some budget saved. In a scenario where the team is above .500 in July but the trial at third doesn't work out, we can then make a mid-season move to upgrade at third.
    That probably makes sense. But I wonder how much "attendance pressure" there will be to at least appear to make a splash.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    what would you like to see from Camargo before making him the regular at third

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Ideally I would like to see Camargo have a sustained period of success from both sides of the plate without his numbers being buoyed by a high BABIP. I would also like a longer look at him to see if this power surge is real, which I am skeptical of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JxnMissFan View Post
    What's your proposal? This might me fun. Off the top of my head I can't think of a position player that has ever opted out of a 150 million plus contract. So this is uncharted territory. Kershaw will opt out of his big contract but I'm not sure how much he is owed.
    which rival football team do you detest the most.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    It'll surprise me if he does become a regular. Certainly that's a potential option but just bet that they're going to be looking externally. Some of those developing starting pitchers will be with other organizations in the very near future. The ones who won't stay will be trade chips.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    I'd still love to get Josh Donaldson. I know he's a FA after next year but we should be able to sign him to an extension. Riley would probably be a good starting point in a trade since he should just need one more year of seasoning and that should fall in line we'll with Bichette and Vlad Jr. Riley, Anderson, and another piece should do it or come close.