Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where have the trick pitches gone?

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts

Where have the trick pitches gone?

I was thinking the other day that we aren't seeing the predominance of "trick pitches" that we used to see.

Where are the guys that throw the splitter? Or the screwball? Or the knuckle-curve (still a few around)? Or the palm ball?

Even the change-up at one time had about a billion variations. And the cutter doesn't seem to be as popular as it was...

Is it just the teachers like Roger Craig are dieing out or being shuffled out of baseball or is their something else like some kind of definitive medical study that says FB, CB, CH and an occasional slider is all a guy should throw?

In days past, a pitcher who's "stuff" doesn't quite play could possibly learn one of those pitches to change his entire career. I was thinking guys like Wisler, Blair, Sims, etc. might benefit from some of that....

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    I was thinking the other day that we aren't seeing the predominance of "trick pitches" that we used to see.

Where are the guys that throw the splitter? Or the screwball? Or the knuckle-curve (still a few around)? Or the palm ball?

Even the change-up at one time had about a billion variations. And the cutter doesn't seem to be as popular as it was...

Is it just the teachers like Roger Craig are dieing out or being shuffled out of baseball or is their something else like some kind of definitive medical study that says FB, CB, CH and an occasional slider is all a guy should throw?

In days past, a pitcher who's "stuff" doesn't quite play could possibly learn one of those pitches to change his entire career. I was thinking guys like Wisler, Blair, Sims, etc. might benefit from some of that....
    You are gonna love Brent Honeywell when he comes up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    I think there's something to be said for the somewhat hazy lines between pitches. When is a cutter a true cutter and when is it a four seam fastball that has some cutting movement to it? When is it just a hard slider?

Some pitches have fallen off due to injury concerns. IIRC, both the splitter and screwball have a reputation as being bad for the elbow and so pitchers are warned away from them.

The changeup still has a lot of variations. There are a ton of different grips guys use. Everything from a circle change to the vulcan grip used by Gant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I see someone already mentioned that John Gant throws the Vulcan. One of the reasons I liked him, in addition to his zany body language on the mound. I have a sentimental attachment to the Vulcan. Taught both of my sons how to throw it. Well I worked with them on the grip. I don't know that they ever mastered it.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I think there's something to be said for the somewhat hazy lines between pitches. When is a cutter a true cutter and when is it a four seam fastball that has some cutting movement to it? When is it just a hard slider?

Some pitches have fallen off due to injury concerns. IIRC, both the splitter and screwball have a reputation as being bad for the elbow and so pitchers are warned away from them.

The changeup still has a lot of variations. There are a ton of different grips guys use. Everything from a circle change to the vulcan grip used by Gant.
    The splitter is my favorite pitch partially due to Smoltz having a great one and owning people all day long with it. Sadly it caused him injury issues here and there. Clemens had a great splitter as well. Might be that I don't follow MLB as a whole as I used to but I can't really recall anyone since those two that have had that good of a split finger pitch.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post

I'm not sure about the splitter, but I've heard that the worry over the screwball is unfounded. I've seen several doctors say that a properly thrown screwball isn't any worse than any other breaking ball. Its just a natural instinct among baseball people to see that arm action and assume its bad for the arm. I could be totally off on this, but I am fairly certain that I have read some research regarding it a few years back.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    The splitter is my favorite pitch partially due to Smoltz having a great one and owning people all day long with it. Sadly it caused him injury issues here and there. Clemens had a great splitter as well. Might be that I don't follow MLB as a whole as I used to but I can't really recall anyone since those two that have had that good of a split finger pitch.
    Sam Freeman uses his splitter as a good change up.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I think with specialization and giant pitching staffs everyone is going for pure stuff. It's crazy velocity. It's FB and sliders.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    In the same vein, I feel like the number of side-armers and submariners has plummeted in this decade, as well.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Schilling. Although I'm not sure if that was closer to a Forkball than splitter. I remember in AZ he had cuts on the inside of his index and middle fingers due to the fork.
    Forever Fredi

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    I seriously doubt there is a large enough sample within a team to have a study on likelihood of injury, so I would guess the changes in pitching style would be based on assumptions of injury (screwball) or anecdotes (Smoltz was injured by the splitter).

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    Schilling. Although I'm not sure if that was closer to a Forkball than splitter. I remember in AZ he had cuts on the inside of his index and middle fingers due to the fork.
    Schilling's was good. However he retired the same year as Clemens and two years before Smoltz. So I wouldn't say Schilling came after those two.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ2dollas View Post
    I think with specialization and giant pitching staffs everyone is going for pure stuff. It's crazy velocity. It's FB and sliders.
    I'd agree with this. Hard, harder, hardest is the way pitching is going. For better or worse.

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Schilling's was good. However he retired the same year as Clemens and two years before Smoltz. So I wouldn't say Schilling came after those two.
    Well he emerged onto the scene after those two. That's what I thought you meant when you said after them. NVM he arrived same year as Smoltz. But didn't become a star until after those two.
    Forever Fredi

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Well he emerged onto the scene after those two. That's what I thought you meant when you said after them.
    You thought wrong mother****er.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Tanaka throws a splitter. He used it a lot more in his first season with the Yankees. After the partial tear in his UCL he scaled back usage of it.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

#MAGA!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Which reminds me Darvish does throw a splitter too.

Dickey is a knuckler but he isn't like Sparks-Wakefield knuckler.

Has anyone thrown the knuckle-curve since Mussina? How about Screwball since Franco?
    Forever Fredi

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    An occasional Ephus pitch carries tremendous entertainment value.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knucksie For This Useful Post:

striker42 (09-19-2017), Tapate50 (09-19-2017)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    766 Posts
    I'd agree with this. Hard, harder, hardest is the way pitching is going. For better or worse.
    I have wondered about palm balls with this....

If you can't throw a change b/c you don't have the feel, could you just up the friction at release and get enough decrease in velocity to have a blah third pitch? The Braves have a couple of guys who need something soft vs the opposite side hitters. Could you just choke up on the ball and throw your fastball and get positive results?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Which reminds me Darvish does throw a splitter too.

Dickey is a knuckler but he isn't like Sparks-Wakefield knuckler.

Has anyone thrown the knuckle-curve since Mussina? How about Screwball since Franco?
    Honeywell is coming up with a screwball. Phil Hughes currently throws a knuckle curve. I think lots of relievers us it as well