Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So the question is this....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Gohara should be given 10-15 more starts in AAA. Fried too.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Jaw (09-20-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    If the Major League staff is pitching well, I don't really care about creating spots for young pitchers. They are all young enough to find things to work on in AAA.

I will be very surprised if Gohara is not in the opening day rotation given that he's shown the most of the young starters. I would not be shocked to see them pick up one or two starters and trade some of the others.

I don't know what the right moves are, but it is really about producing a rotation now and going forward not validating prospects.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    If the Major League staff is pitching well, I don't really care about creating spots for young pitchers. They are all young enough to find things to work on in AAA.

I will be very surprised if Gohara is not in the opening day rotation given that he's shown the most of the young starters. I would not be shocked to see them pick up one or two starters and trade some of the others.

I don't know what the right moves are, but it is really about producing a rotation now and going forward not validating prospects.

Can't disagree with any of that in the least, but won't argue that a little more time to work on things early on would hurt him.

Maybe sign Cobb and pick up Dickey's option and dangle Folty for a Suarez/McMahon/Andujar and start the season with Julio/Cobb/Dickey/Newcomb/Fried or Sims until Gohara can have a little more time to smooth out the rough edges plus make managing his innings a little easier?
    Last edited by clvclv; 09-20-2017 at 10:38 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    I'm not sure Folty gets you any of those guys straight up. Or really even close to it...
    Last edited by Tapate50; 09-20-2017 at 10:40 AM.
    Ivermectin Man

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I'm not sure Folty gets you any of those guys straight up. Or really even close to it...
    I'm not either, just spitballing (as usual).
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    I've seen enough of Folty that I wouldn't be sad to see him go. With the offense that this team will produce, I think it would be a waste not to try to bolster the rotation with outside help, somehow. It is the weak link in the chain at the moment.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nerfherders For This Useful Post:

Chico (09-20-2017), clvclv (09-20-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherders View Post
    I've seen enough of Folty that I wouldn't be sad to see him go. With the offense that this team will produce, I think it would be a waste not to try to bolster the rotation with outside help, somehow. It is the weak link in the chain at the moment.
    Yes it is. And when that great day arrives when we have too many major league starting pitchers, I don't think it will be difficult finding trade partners.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Chico (09-20-2017), clvclv (09-20-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Fried is old enough that I an fine letting him figure it out at the MLB level.

Gohara is in a completely different league in terms of age, and ultimately, upside. If he is in the opening day rotation it is yet another indication the members of the FO are on the hot seat to win.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    As bad as things are in Cincinnati, they're likely our best target IMO - with an obvious replacement for Suarez ready, Votto and Bailey on the books, Hamilton's salary about to start going up, and an absolute dearth of arms in the system the likelihood of them going out and signing a couple arms for their rotation is pretty slim. Even if they were to get DeSclafani and Finnegan back healthy, their rotation is easily the worst in the game.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Yes it is. And when that great day arrives when we have too many major league starting pitchers, I don't think it will be difficult finding trade partners.
    Agreed. I look at is as buying prospects. If I can sign a guy that allows me to trade another guy I just bought prospects. Another way is trading prospects for prospects. If I trade prospects for a pitcher that allows me to trade another pitcher for prospects I just reshuffled my prospect pool. That part is a little more tricky though as you better guess right.

If Yu Darvish wasn't so expensive I'd entertain the idea of signing him and Cobb, then trade Julio and Folty when the time was right to restock my prospect pool.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    I realize guys like Folty and Newk might not make it, but hate to diminish their value by sending them to the pen. I'd rather just trade guys that aren't cutting it while they still have value. We waited too long on guys like Wisler and now he wouldn't bring back a bag of balls.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    I realize guys like Folty and Newk might not make it, but hate to diminish their value by sending them to the pen. I'd rather just trade guys that aren't cutting it while they still have value. We waited too long on guys like Wisler and now he wouldn't bring back a bag of balls.
    That's true, but Wisler didn't have the ceiling these 2 have. I think there's a good chance both of these guys could have a good season next year. I'm not sure we get fair value on either this offseason though. Ideally, I'd like to see us trade Julio this June/July after he rebuilds his value and flip Folty next June/July. If we had the pitchers to promote as well as the pitchers to sell we could be set if we play those cards right.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Agreed. I look at is as buying prospects. If I can sign a guy that allows me to trade another guy I just bought prospects. Another way is trading prospects for prospects. If I trade prospects for a pitcher that allows me to trade another pitcher for prospects I just reshuffled my prospect pool. That part is a little more tricky though as you better guess right.

If Yu Darvish wasn't so expensive I'd entertain the idea of signing him and Cobb, then trade Julio and Folty when the time was right to restock my prospect pool.
    I'm not sure Julio and Folty would really net enough at the moment to make it worth it. It would probably be better to hope that they can build their value back up and then work from there.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    I'm not sure Julio and Folty would really net enough at the moment to make it worth it. It would probably be better to hope that they can build their value back up and then work from there.
    Agreed. That's why I set when the time was right. Hopefully the time would be when they rebuild their value and we have someone who is telling us he's ready to be in a major league rotation. None of Gohara, Fried, Allard, Soroka, Wright are telling us that now, but hopefully they will be starting at the 2018 trade deadline.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    You have a veteran pitcher. His name is Julio Teheran.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    The Washington Nationals would certainly appreciate that.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    I just think when you sign a vet to big money or trading for one....you run a big risk of them underperforming (as many big contract guys do), or getting hurt. Keep all the young guys and let it be a competition. The guys that win the jobs...win the jobs. By trading pitcher x and keeping pitcher x ....you are "choosing" which one gets the job. It should be earned. You guys want high end pitchers that are also not scared of any situation. You find that out by testing them.

Many times these pitchers get their "big" deal, they relax and get tourched. Not all, but more than not. Give me a hungry young guy that has everything to prove, and is still needing cash. Motivation has many factors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    I just think when you sign a vet to big money or trading for one....you run a big risk of them underperforming (as many big contract guys do), or getting hurt.
    Yes. Acquiring veterans is not a risk free proposition. However, we go into the off-season with about 20M to play with. Some may say find a way to bank that for the future. There are ways to do that and we have done so in recent years. But I think the reality of the situation is the FO no longer sees the rebuild as being at that stage. So the 20M (and maybe more if we can get some team to take Markakis and/or Kemp and a chunk of their contracts off our hands) will be spent on major league talent.

The question then becomes what is the wisest use of those funds within the parameter that they are to be used to pay the salaries of major league talent.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 09-21-2017 at 09:17 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    The Washington Nationals would certainly appreciate that.
    Let them appreciate it; the Braves won't be competing with the Zombie Expos next season, anyways, so matchups really shouldn't figure into roster decisions.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    I just think when you sign a vet to big money or trading for one....you run a big risk of them underperforming (as many big contract guys do), or getting hurt. Keep all the young guys and let it be a competition. The guys that win the jobs...win the jobs. By trading pitcher x and keeping pitcher x ....you are "choosing" which one gets the job. It should be earned. You guys want high end pitchers that are also not scared of any situation. You find that out by testing them.

Many times these pitchers get their "big" deal, they relax and get tourched. Not all, but more than not. Give me a hungry young guy that has everything to prove, and is still needing cash. Motivation has many factors.
    This is the camp I’m in...when guys are deemed ready and there’s a particular pitcher in the rotation that’s struggling and doesn’t seem like he’s destined for the rotation plug a guy in...eventually in theory you’d end up with the five best guys and also should have a pretty nice pen...certain guys could be traded as well, I just hate the idea of trading an Allard, Touki, Anderson, Wentz, etc before seeing what they can do in the big leagues or upper minors