Page 30 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast

Thread: Megathread: Braves lose Maitan, Bae and 10+ plus International Sanctions.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drewdat View Post
    Finally correcting the oversight of not having the Gold Club in the Battery from day one. Goodbye revenue worries.
    Ahh, one of the highlights of my younger days - running into Andruw at The Gold Club...good times!!!
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-03-2017)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    DOB says in answewr to Dayton returning as Braves GM, "Everything I'm hearing is it's his if he wants it. Don't know that he'd do it without also being Prez of Baseball Ops (Hart current title) ".

Wow!! we kill 2 birds with one stone.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    DOB says in answewr to Dayton returning as Braves GM, "Everything I'm hearing is it's his if he wants it. Don't know that he'd do it without also being Prez of Baseball Ops (Hart current title) ".

Wow!! we kill 2 birds with one stone.
    They would just create another new position for Hart.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-03-2017), The Chosen One (10-03-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by salmagundy View Post
    " re-assign manager Brian Snitker " From Bob Nightengale

Where were they going to re-assign Snitckers???

Back to Gwinnett or a roving manager's mentor??? Hopefully it would be to his wife and home!!! He can/should take Hernandez with him.
    The Braves have made it clear all along that Snitker will have a position with the Braves as long as he wants it. If they were to reassign him it would probably be to the front office.

Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    They would just create another new position for Hart.
    Any experienced GM we get will diminish Hart's power. If we get Moore then Hart will likely be relieved of a lot of his day to day responsibilities.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    ding ding ding

12:32
    seth: Is the Braves fiasco a shot across the bow to all MLB teams? especially after the Red Sox ‘punishment’ didn’t seem to have any effect?

12:33
    Eric A Longenhagen: No, this is less about practices in Latin America and more about the individual involved.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Jaw (10-03-2017), jpx7 (10-03-2017), The Chosen One (10-03-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    The Braves have made it clear all along that Snitker will have a position with the Braves as long as he wants it. If they were to reassign him it would probably be to the front office.

Any experienced GM we get will diminish Hart's power. If we get Moore then Hart will likely be relieved of a lot of his day to day responsibilities.
    Snit to GM
    Swanson sucks

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    A part of me expects MLB to make an example out of the Braves. Atlanta is high enough profile to serve as an example but isn't a sacred cow like the Red Sox (the league's last opportunity to make an example). The more I read the more I get the feeling that they're going to throw the book at us.

It wouldn't shock me to see most of last year's international signings declared FA's, to see Maitan declared a FA, to be banned from signing international players for two years, and to lose the number 8 pick. That would serve as a deterrent for other teams looking to skirt the rules.
    That would be preposterously exorbitant. No penalty in MLB history has been nearly that harsh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pachoo View Post
    That would be preposterously exorbitant. No penalty in MLB history has been nearly that harsh.
    Shoeless Joe Jackson says hi.

It's not entirely preposterous. Losing players we signed this year would be logical. If we were bundling we'd have never gotten them but for the illegal acts. Also, there is a precedent for this with the Sox.

Preventing us from signing international players is another punishment with an established history.

With Maitan, it's a question of the evidence. If they find we gave him illegal benefits then the only thing keeping them from making him a free agent is determining whether or not that's a fair punishment. If they're looking to make an example then they'll make Maitan a free agent.

Finally, the draft pick is one of the more public ways of punishing us. Taking away the 8th pick on top of everything else would be very, very harsh but it would send a strong message. Perhaps losing a second rounder is more likely but I wouldn't put taking away the 8th pick past MLB.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

Hart never wanted to be GM. Should not be an issue. I would guess if he stays in org it would be back to his consultant to JS role.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pachoo View Post
    I agree. That sounds unlikely.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I agree. That sounds unlikely.
    Unlikely? Sure.

Outside of the realm of possibility? Not at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    I agree that the current international class could be blown up. Loss of a draft pick wouldn't surprise me, although loss of the first rounder certainly would.

I can't see any way Maitan goes anywhere. Too much time and too large a stack of cash has passed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Unlikely? Sure.

Outside of the realm of possibility? Not at all.
    This. Rationally I don't expect it to be that extreme especially with Coppy getting fired. But it's certainly possible. If it runs deep and MLB wants to make an example then they could do that.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Hart never wanted to be GM. Should not be an issue. I would guess if he stays in org it would be back to his consultant to JS role.
    I remember how awkward the press conference was after Wren fired. JS was practically serenading Hart in front of reporters wanting him to take the job. Hart blushing.
    Forever Fredi

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    What’s the best that could happen ? Us banned from International signings for two years? I am not a fan of making guys any team has signed free agents. It doesn’t seem fair to the players involved. They signed with the team they wanted to be with and then you uproot these guys again from the home they know. Future bans seem a better idea. It’s also rough to take a top 10 pick away from a team that is not a big market team and has had consecutive loosing seasons. It’s not good for fans either. Surely they can see the business side of this and won’t make an example out of a mid market team with a new ball park because of a couple of idiots that have already been fired.

We aren’t the Red Sox, and it would be tough to survive such harsh penalties. Would almost have to trade off Our big chips and start over...again.

I know it’s bad, but don’t kid yourself....they ALL break the rules. In fact, half (if not more) or the infractions mentioned have probably been done by EVERY team if scrutinized the way we are being done. What the heck...we aren’t even winning, why would they rat us out? The guy they hated is gone. These teams that complained and ratted are idiots, because don’t think the their “own” chickens won’t come home to roost soon.

Bottom line. They need a International draft. Until that happens...there will be uncontrollable grey areas and cheating. It’s just not preventable. If Coppy was the biggest cheater, it just meant he was the dumbest....not the only one.
    Last edited by TheBravos; 10-03-2017 at 02:23 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    I remember how awkward the press conference was after Wren fired. JS was practically serenading Hart in front of reporters wanting him to take the job. Hart blushing.
    I need to see this. Thanks.
    Ivermectin Man

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    It was the one where they announced he was dismissed and they formed the three-headed monster of Suspenders-Hart-Cox to move the organization forward and go back to The Braves Way. JS was asked if he had anyone in mind to be GM, he said he would make Hart GM right now if he wanted it. Hart said he was flattered but also too old to do the daily grind but didn't mind being interim until they found the right guy, etc.
    Forever Fredi

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Kiley McDaniel reassigned to Western Crosschecker.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    This. Rationally I don't expect it to be that extreme especially with Coppy getting fired. But it's certainly possible. If it runs deep and MLB wants to make an example then they could do that.
    Most of the things that I have been hearing lead me to believe that the Braves and baseball in general wanted Coppy out. I think the fact that he is gone is actually a good sign for us as far as any penalty is concerned. I wouldn't be surprised if there were little to no penalties handed down so that the Braves and the MLB can point to the situation being a couple of bad apples rather than a systemic issue in the organization. I'm kinda in the camp that believes Coppy is being scapegoated because no one liked him, but overall I think that is kind of a good thing for us as far as avoiding penalties goes.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post

24. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

buck75 (10-03-2017), CJ9 (10-03-2017), Jaw (10-04-2017), jpx7 (10-03-2017), Runnin (10-03-2017), Tapate50 (10-03-2017), The Chosen One (10-03-2017), thewupk (10-03-2017)