Page 106 of 109 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,120 of 2170

Thread: Megathread: Braves lose Maitan, Bae and 10+ plus International Sanctions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    512 Posts
    It was put out there that several of the players didn't think they were given enough time to prepare for the showcase. In other words, Maitan is 300 lbs. right now.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drewdat View Post
    It was put out there that several of the players didn't think they were given enough time to prepare for the showcase. In other words, Maitan is 300 lbs. right now.

Looks like he's signing with the Yankees!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

Super (11-28-2017)

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Ben Badler, who is the go-to guy for international news in Baseball America, specifically says that any of the players can re-sign with the Braves, but must wait until May 1st to do so and cannot receive any additional bonus. With the sheer number of free agents, there may well be a few of these guys who feel a little loyalty and want to resume their career tracks rather than starting over. Guessing that $$$ will tell that tale, and they must sign by Jan. 15 to get a second bonus. Would not be surprised if a player does not join a new team by that date, then he might yet be a Brave!

Rojas, Sucre and Mezquita (which sounds like a drink with an umbrella in it) were the only players not to show up. The others said there wasn't time to properly be in shape for the workout -- but weren't many of them in the Braves' instructional league until just a few days before this came down? That doesn't ring true.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-28-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Ben Badler, who is the go-to guy for international news in Baseball America, specifically says that any of the players can re-sign with the Braves, but must wait until May 1st to do so and cannot receive any additional bonus. With the sheer number of free agents, there may well be a few of these guys who feel a little loyalty and want to resume their career tracks rather than starting over. Guessing that $$$ will tell that tale, and they must sign by Jan. 15 to get a second bonus. Would not be surprised if a player does not join a new team by that date, then he might yet be a Brave!

Rojas, Sucre and Mezquita (which sounds like a drink with an umbrella in it) were the only players not to show up. The others said there wasn't time to properly be in shape for the workout -- but weren't many of them in the Braves' instructional league until just a few days before this came down? That doesn't ring true.
    They are still afraid after the Hartcoppy reign of terror. Maybe some of their family are still being held by Hartcoppy in the dungeon.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-28-2017)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    They are still afraid after the Hartcoppy reign of terror. Maybe some of their family are still being held by Hartcoppy in the dungeon.
    Dilly, dilly!

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post

This may slow down the prospects signing elsewhere. Maybe a couple of them stick around. I highly doubt it, but I wonder what the market for them will be with other teams. I can't remember if the bonuses will be counted against a team's 2017 or 2018 limits. If it's 2017, that means most teams will be limited in what they can offer. Of course, if I'm a player, an extra $10 in my pocket is more than I'm making now.
    Last edited by 50PoundHead; 11-28-2017 at 10:14 AM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-28-2017), nsacpi (11-28-2017)

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,279 Posts
    Apparently, Manfred just said that the Braves were completely cooperative, but Coppolella wasn’t. Well done, Coppy.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (11-28-2017), jpx7 (11-28-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,050 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    Apparently, Manfred just said that the Braves were completely cooperative, but Coppolella wasn’t. Well done, Coppy.
    Yes. Thanks for being cooperative. We really want to encourage teams in the future to be cooperative so here's the stiffest punishment every handed down to any professional sports team in history. Thanks again!

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (11-28-2017), brian22 (11-28-2017), drewdat (11-29-2017), Hawk (11-28-2017), jpx7 (11-28-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    Like I said in another thread (and in saying it, I don't mean to disparage those suffering from a mental illness seeing I suffer from depression), I wonder if Coppolella has some type of personality disorder. The upper echelons of the baseball world is filled with alphas and Coppolella was likely no exception. It just seems that he takes it a bit too far.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-28-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts

If a guy was slated for short-season ball, coming back on May 1 wouldn't be that big a deal except I don't know where they would work out in the meantime. Of all the guys who were declared free agents, who besides Maitan would have been slated for Rome. Del Rosario? Gutierrez?

I will be curious to see the market on all of these guys.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-28-2017)

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    If a guy was slated for short-season ball, coming back on May 1 wouldn't be that big a deal except I don't know where they would work out in the meantime. Of all the guys who were declared free agents, who besides Maitan would have been slated for Rome. Del Rosario? Gutierrez?

I will be curious to see the market on all of these guys.
    I think what these guys get will be very informative on the Braves international scouting efforts over the last few years. It would be horrible that the Braves cheated, spent, potentially broke laws and still signed players that no one else really wants that bad.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (11-28-2017), jpx7 (11-28-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    I think what these guys get will be very informative on the Braves international scouting efforts over the last few years. It would be horrible that the Braves cheated, spent, potentially broke laws and still signed players that no one else really wants that bad.
    I always view the international market with a fair sized helping of skepticism. Maitan should be good for all that was written about him, but I keep thinking back to Jackson Melian and how he was a can't miss guy. I think the Braves will lose out because the number of guys is so high. But I don't think any of them really shone in 2017. Maitan was rushed, so his struggles in Danville playing against college guys was to be expected. Of the others, I think del Rosario had the best stat line.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-28-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I always view the international market with a fair sized helping of skepticism. Maitan should be good for all that was written about him, but I keep thinking back to Jackson Melian and how he was a can't miss guy. I think the Braves will lose out because the number of guys is so high. But I don't think any of them really shone in 2017. Maitan was rushed, so his struggles in Danville playing against college guys was to be expected. Of the others, I think del Rosario had the best stat line.
    Michael Ynoa comes to mind for me. I think we're showing our ages. But Ynoa was the first big-time, can't miss international player I can remember.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Does the "Fat Toad" count or are we considering him differently since he came out of Japanese ML baseball?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Albies, Acuna and Pache all did quite a bit better in Danville at the same age.

"I am your retribution."

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    There has been something written (I wish I could remember where) that hinted strongly that the Braves whiffed on several of those big ticket international signees, so there may well be a limited amount of big spending to acquire them.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    Yes. Thanks for being cooperative. We really want to encourage teams in the future to be cooperative so here's the stiffest punishment every handed down to any professional sports team in history. Thanks again!
    Pretty much...might as well went down kicking and screaming.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,130 Posts
    There has been something written (I wish I could remember where) that hinted strongly that the Braves whiffed on several of those big ticket international signees, so there may well be a limited amount of big spending to acquire them.
    That would be icing on this **** cake.

Like getting fired..on your day off...for stealing boxes that were going to be thrown out anyways.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Horsehide Harry (11-28-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    It's sort of unbelievable how quickly that huge J2 class went to spoil. Almost as if the Braves were determined to spend $20m and just picked the first ten teenagers that spoke Spanish and gave it to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    It's sort of unbelievable how quickly that huge J2 class went to spoil. Almost as if the Braves were determined to spend $20m and just picked the first ten teenagers that spoke Spanish and gave it to them.
    With one or two exceptions they went for the guys who were physically advanced for their ages. Contrast that with Albies and Acuna, who while very good athletes and highly skilled, are not the biggest and strongest out there.

I think when it comes to exceptional talent it is time to recognize that it comes in all shapes and size. Look at Altuve and Judge. Look at recently HoF inductees like Maddux, Martinez and Randy Johnson.

I know I don't have the insights and knowledge of professional scouts, but it seems to me that when you need to throw out the book in terms of what to look for when it comes to exceptional talent. I'm talking creme de la creme. Otherwise, the "recipe" for what to look for physically seems to hold better.

"I am your retribution."