Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Stanton

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Castro is a salary dump, he wouldnt cost Maitan.
    We're talking about the Angels here.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    I told everybody here that the Marlins were in a bad spot and would have to give Stanton away to get to where they want to be on payroll. If you looked at the numbers and the fact that Stanton had a NT clause it was obvious.

Now, everybody's pissed because the Yankees were smart enough and aggressive enough and lucky enough (being a place Stanton would be willing to go) to get him for peanuts in talent and a minor gamble (for them) of money.

The Marlins got a guy not in the Yankees top 30 and their #9 prospect according to MLB. They also got a more powerful slower version of Dee Gordon, on a shorter deal by a year but at similar AAV. Plus they had to send a contingent $30M to get it done.

The Marlins aren't done either IMO if they are to be believed about where they want payroll to be but they will get more out of the others they move unless they move Prado.
    That prospect package for Stanton and $30M after the opt in is a perfectly reasonable and mostly fair transaction.

Getting the Marlins to take back Castro is something I thought the Marlins would never do, and that happened because the Yankees had all the leverage due to Stanton’s no-trade. This deal is a huge win for the Yankees due to shedding Castro’s contract.

Now the Marlins have to salary dump a 2B in a market where there are very few buyers at that position.

The Yankees played this to perfection. The rest of the league should be worried that the big market teams are now also smarter than the small teams.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 12-09-2017 at 03:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Would taking Prado and Castro off their hands lower the cost of Yellich that much?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Would taking Prado and Castro off their hands lower the cost of Yellich that much?
    Don't think so. Prado is slightly under water. And Castro has enough value to offset Prado.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Don't think so. Prado is slightly under water. And Castro has enough value to offset Prado.
    If the Braves were willing to take on Chen (one of the worst contracts in baseball) they might get Yelich for very little. To take Chen you would have to accept that you are going to have a very expensive #5 starter until 2020 and be prepared to make sure his option for 2021 doesn't happen. If they Braves will take Prado AND Chen then they could likely get Yelich for almost nothing. (2018 numbers) Prado $13.5M + Chen $8M with $2M deferred + Yelich $7M = $28.5M added in 2018. Or you could sub out Yelich for Ozuna but Yelcih has the better contract and might allow you to move Inciarte if a good deal was available.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsehide Harry For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-09-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    collusion
    I'm not a conspiracy buff, but this deal is really incredulous.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    I told everybody here that the Marlins were in a bad spot and would have to give Stanton away to get to where they want to be on payroll. If you looked at the numbers and the fact that Stanton had a NT clause it was obvious.

Now, everybody's pissed because the Yankees were smart enough and aggressive enough and lucky enough (being a place Stanton would be willing to go) to get him for peanuts in talent and a minor gamble (for them) of money.

The Marlins got a guy not in the Yankees top 30 and their #9 prospect according to MLB. They also got a more powerful slower version of Dee Gordon, on a shorter deal by a year but at similar AAV. Plus they had to send a contingent $30M to get it done.

The Marlins aren't done either IMO if they are to be believed about where they want payroll to be but they will get more out of the others they move unless they move Prado.
    I really don't know if the Yankees were particularly smart or aggressive. They just happened to be a team that Stanton would waive his no-trade clause for. Yanks have a lot of pieces left to move and I think we will see them move a ton of guys.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-09-2017)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Braves supposedly called about Clint Frazier, would make sense if AA could move Nick and Kemp.

Not sure how credible this guy is but.

whitesoxdave‏
    @barstoolWSD
    #Mets, Giants and #Braves all have already asked on the Yankees Clint Frazier, obvious odd man out in the Yankees OF, nothing imminent yet but he’s as good as gone #ScoopCity

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-09-2017)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    I really don't know if the Yankees were particularly smart or aggressive. They just happened to be a team that Stanton would waive his no-trade clause for. Yanks have a lot of pieces left to move and I think we will see them move a ton of guys.
    I think that's what ended up separating the Yankees from the Dodgers, who seemed to be Stanton's clear 1A preference: the Yankees were willing to make the acquisition now, and worry after about the cascade of subsequent moves this will somewhat force them to make. The Dodgers didn't seem to have that willingness.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    Did someone force him to sign an insane contract to stay in Miami?
    What is even your point with this post?

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts
    Attendance at Marlins games next season is going to resemble some of the games in the Dolphins stadium.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonCowboy For This Useful Post:

bravesfanforlife88 (12-09-2017)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Braves supposedly called about Clint Frazier, would make sense if AA could move Nick and Kemp.

whitesoxdave‏
    @barstoolWSD
    #Mets, Giants and #Braves all have already asked on the Yankees Clint Frazier, obvious odd man out in the Yankees OF, nothing imminent yet but he’s as good as gone #ScoopCity
    He's certainly not as "locked in" as the big names, but he's not someone I just ignore.

Problem is, I worry a lot about what the asking price for Frazier will be. He answers questions for teams all over the league. Ender, Acuna, Frazier would be a dream come true for us though. If you could get him for Wright and draft another arm (Mize, Rolison, Kowar, or Rocker) at #8 since this draft is pitching-heavy at the top, do you roll those dice? I probably would.
    Last edited by clvclv; 12-09-2017 at 06:14 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    He's certainly not as "locked in" as the big names, but he's not someone I just ignore.

Problem is, I worry a lot about what the asking price for Frazier will be. He answers questions for teams all over the league. Ender, Acuna, Frazier would be a dream come true for us though. If you could get him for Wright and draft another arm (Mize, Rolison, Kowar, or Rocker) at #8 since this draft is pitching-heavy at the top, do you roll those dice? I probably would.
    No way I trade wright for Clint Frazier.
    Coppy

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts

I'd do Julio or Allard, not Wright.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    No way I trade wright for Clint Frazier.
    Probably what the cost will be.

That's a big gamble on Gohara/Soroka/Allard/Anderson, but we're not filling LF that cheaply without it hurting pretty badly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    I'd do Julio or Allard, not Wright.
    Probably what the cost will be.

That's a big gamble on Gohara/Soroka/Allard/Anderson, but we're not filling LF that cheaply without it hurting pretty badly.
    He's solid across the board, but I'm not sure he hits quite enough in any one sense (average, on-base, power)—especially given he doesn't provide a lot of defensive value—to merit trading Wright, who seems like he'll have a combination of good ceiling, great floor, and fast-track potential.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    I am not sold on Frazier. I know injuries didn’t help but pitchers pretty much exposed him last year. He is not a great defender so is his bat good enough to play LF
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    I don’t see how the Marlins aren’t in sale-now mode. If I’m AA, I’m all over Yelich. Frazier is super interested and fits our timeline, but Yelich would be a dream come true.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts

whitesoxdave‏
    @barstoolWSD
    I'd be curious about Chase Headley too. Clint Frazier is a good prospect, but I'm not over-the-moon on him. Something like Teheran + for Frazier / Headley could be interesting. Need to find a way to move Markakis for 50 cents on the dollar though.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (12-09-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    If the Braves were willing to take on Chen (one of the worst contracts in baseball) they might get Yelich for very little. To take Chen you would have to accept that you are going to have a very expensive #5 starter until 2020 and be prepared to make sure his option for 2021 doesn't happen. If they Braves will take Prado AND Chen then they could likely get Yelich for almost nothing. (2018 numbers) Prado $13.5M + Chen $8M with $2M deferred + Yelich $7M = $28.5M added in 2018. Or you could sub out Yelich for Ozuna but Yelcih has the better contract and might allow you to move Inciarte if a good deal was available.

Let me save you the trouble I tried to save you on Stanton. The Braves aren't taking on a bad starting pitcher who is owed 20 and 22 million in 2019 and 2020.