Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trading Maybin this offseason

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts

Trading Maybin this offseason

I've been going back and forth on trading Maybin this offseason. Looking at possible trade partners, and CF's available in FA we may not have all that much leverage. Just looking at the teams who may be in need of a CF there are the Cubs, Giants, Mariners, Indians, Mets, Padres, and Rangers. The Indians and Mets should have a prospect ready. So you have about 5 teams if you don't count them. There are 4 decent CF options available in Austin Jackson, Denard Span, Dexter Fowler, and Colby Rasmus.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    Thought we should've moved him at the deadline.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

Knucksie (08-26-2015)

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    I've been going back and forth on trading Maybin this offseason. Looking at possible trade partners, and CF's available in FA we may not have all that much leverage. Just looking at the teams who may be in need of a CF there are the Cubs, Giants, Mariners, Indians, Mets, Padres, and Rangers. The Indians and Mets should have a prospect ready. So you have about 5 teams if you don't count them. There are 4 decent CF options available in Austin Jackson, Denard Span, Dexter Fowler, and Colby Rasmus.
    Personally I think that the Braves need to hold on to him. We don't know yet what we have in Mallex. Of course there is Bourne...but I'd rather march Maybin out there personally. Of course he could go out and be back to what he has done last few years and we lose all value...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Always sell high
    The Atlanta Braves signed Nick Markakis for 4/45 - Never forget 12/3/2014

"Klay Thompson > James Harden" - Heyward

"Chris Bosh is the MVP of the Miami Heat" - Heyward

"Hibbert is better than Dwight Howard"- Heyward

"Steven Adams will be a top 10 center in two years - thethe

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IowaBrave14 View Post
    Personally I think that the Braves need to hold on to him. We don't know yet what we have in Mallex. Of course there is Bourne...but I'd rather march Maybin out there personally. Of course he could go out and be back to what he has done last few years and we lose all value...
    I'm leaning more toward keeping him, and flipping him in July when/if Mallex proves he's ready for full time work at the highest level. But, I do think there is a deal with the Cubs that's possible.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    If he's not in the clubs plans past 2017, he needs to be flipped while his value is high.

I personally am buying the work he has put in with Seitzer, and he's someone I'd try to keep on the cheap. I'd offer him an extension this offseason.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-26-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    I don't think Maybin is worth much more than a fringe prospect that would barely squeak into the top 20 of the Braves organization. So in my opinion, it isn't worth it to trade him.

However, if he can be packaged with a young pitcher to bring back a significant player, I would be all for it. I won't pretend to know who might be available, but the return would have to be a position player that will be ready by 2017 and would be a top 5 guy in the Braves organization the day he was acquired. Surely several teams can use a cheap-ish OFer that can play CF and a young pitcher for their rotation.

Otherwise, why even bother trading him?
    Last edited by Enscheff; 08-26-2015 at 01:14 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-26-2015)

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Still not convinced we can find a left fielder via trade or free agency that’ll perform better than Maybin. Now, I would LOVE to be wrong, but I can certainly live with a 1-year outfield of Maybin/Mallex/Markakis.

For that matter, I can live with a 1-year infield of Uribe or K Johnson/Simba/Olivera/Freeman/CB. Use this off season to nail the rotation and fill the offensive holes for 2017.

On that note, a line of:
    Mallex
    Maybin
    Markakis
    Freeman
    Olivera
    Uribe/KJohnson
    CB
    Simba

would suck somewhat less than this year. I’d love to see better, of course. But this sucks less. Maybe even considerably less.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnAdcox For This Useful Post:

clvclv (08-26-2015)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    I don't think Maybin is worth much more than a fringe prospect that would barely squeak into the top 20 of the Braves organization. So in my opinion, it isn't worth it to trade him.

However, if he can be packaged with a young pitcher to bring back a significant player, I would be all for it. I won't pretend to know who might be available, but the return would have to be a position player that will be ready by 2017 and would be a top 5 guy in the Braves organization the day he was acquired. Surely several teams can use a cheap-ish OFer that can play CF and a young pitcher for their rotation.

Otherwise, why even bother trading him?
    Yeah, in my head it's always been with a pitcher or guy like CB he's packaged with. On his own he won't garner much.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (08-26-2015)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Maybin doesn't fit in with future plans. Since next season will be the same as this, they might as well attempt to maximize the return on him. So, that asset is more valuable over the long term than Maybin is over the short term. The "sell high" comment was spot on, but unfortunately the options might not be as decent this winter as they would've been at the deadline.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BRule View Post
    Always sell high
    Wait a second - isn't that exactly what Hart & Company did with Heyward, J-Up, Gattis, and Kimbrel?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    If he's not in the clubs plans past 2017, he needs to be flipped while his value is high.

I personally am buying the work he has put in with Seitzer, and he's someone I'd try to keep on the cheap. I'd offer him an extension this offseason.
    As Enscheff said, why move him if all you get is someone that couldn't potentially be a long-term piece? He's the perfect bridge to Mallex assuming he's not ready next season.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    He's the perfect bridge to Mallex assuming he's not ready next season.
    Kinda depends on what moves we make this offseason I think. If we don't make any major moves this offseason then Bourn might be the better move since we'll be tank city again.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    Kinda depends on what moves we make this offseason I think. If we don't make any major moves this offseason then Bourn might be the better move since we'll be tank city again.
    The reason I consider him "perfect" is that I'm one of those that buys into the improvements we've seen. As John mentioned - assuming Hart's not blowing smoke about going after one of the available corner guys - I personally think a 2016 OF of Markakis/Cam/Mallex would be much better than Markakis/Bourn/Mallex if the decision has been made to only try to incrementally upgrade next season.

If you can get a significant upgrade for the future, it's a no-brainer - I'm just not sure other teams don't look at those improvements and expect a regression if they don't have Seitzer in his ear all the time.
    Last edited by clvclv; 08-26-2015 at 10:07 PM.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    If someone will overpay then you listen. Otherwise I think he's a very good player on a reasonable deal.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to emk418 For This Useful Post:

mfree80 (08-27-2015)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Wait a second - isn't that exactly what Hart & Company did with Heyward, J-Up, Gattis, and Kimbrel?
    Certainly on Gattis and Kimbrel. I'd say 90% of the board approved of those moves.

Heyward and JUp were white flag moves.

I noticed you correctly didn't include Alex Wood.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Certainly on Gattis and Kimbrel. I'd say 90% of the board approved of those moves.

Heyward and JUp were white flag moves.

I noticed you correctly didn't include Alex Wood.
    It seems as though I'm in the minority, but I believe we did sell high on Wood and Peraza. That's why fans don't like it. They say "sell high", but don't really mean it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    It seems as though I'm in the minority, but I believe we did sell high on Wood and Peraza. That's why fans don't like it. They say "sell high", but don't really mean it.
    I think we did trade Wood and Peraza at a time when their valuations were high. But the complaints about the trade have more to do with the return.

The Kimbrel trade would be a good example where we sold high and there was a pretty strong consensus we got great value in return.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I think we did trade Wood and Peraza at a time when their valuations were high. But the complaints about the trade have more to do with the return.

The Kimbrel trade would be a good example where we sold high and there was a pretty strong consensus we got great value in return.
    That may be why I'm not upset about it, since we don't know what the return is yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    That may be why I'm not upset about it, since we don't know what the return is yet.
    It is one of those trades where even though the main piece we got back was an older player there is a lot of upside. To use a phrase popular with our front office they got "creative." I'm not against creativity. I just prefer that they be smart enough to avoid getting into situations where creativity becomes necessary. It seems to me they let their mantra about "never enough pitching" and getting back to the "Braves way" obscure the reality that we are in an era where hitting is relatively scarce and pitching relatively abundant.