Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: GDT 9/13/13: Padres (Kennedy) @ Braves (Hale) 7:30 PM

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsebe10 View Post
    I don't know what other convincing Fredi needs to not pitch Ayala
    Ayala can handle an inning. Fredi putting him back out there for two (and leaving him there until he loaded the bases) was just...

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    I don't know what other convincing Fredi needs to not pitch Ayala
    One inning is ok.

In the 7th with Avilan/Walden/Carpenter ready, it just makes no sense at all.

For 2 innings was retarded, and I never get at Fredi but that was beyond stupid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    112 Posts
    Way to snatch defeat pfrom the jaws of victory men.........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,408 Posts
    Dude seriously, get off BJs 9 incher...Schafer is the much better option. Plain and simple.

Pretty simple, really.

Schafer's career numbers: .230 .312 .315 .628

Upton's career numbers: .249 .330 .411 .740

Schafer's second half numbers: .183 .239 .232 .470

Upton's second half numbers: .235 .287 .306 .593

Schafer isn't better for his career OR hotter lately. No reason at all to start him over BJ.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dalyn For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (09-14-2013), gcbraves (09-14-2013), Heyward (09-13-2013), holden (09-13-2013), Julio3000 (09-14-2013), zitothebrave (09-13-2013)

Called Up to the Major Leagues Gary82's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    375 Posts
    Right now, I'm not interested in Schafer or BJ starting for us. I feel in the long run, that BJ is the superior player (to Schafer), but it is absolute torture watching these two play. Gimme Heyward in center, and gimme him now.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gary82 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (09-14-2013)

Playing the Waiting Game Bdawg2309's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    get cunningham in there in CF

terdoslavich has been garbage as well

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdawg2309 View Post
    get cunningham in there in CF

terdoslavich has been garbage as well
    Not sure why Cunningham was not recalled.

It's OVER 5,000! bravesnumberone's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,023 Posts
    Sigh, what about the Padres is it that we have to play with our thumbs up our ass against them?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    Pretty simple, really.

Schafer's career numbers: .230 .312 .315 .628

Upton's career numbers: .249 .330 .411 .740

Schafer's second half numbers: .183 .239 .232 .470

Upton's second half numbers: .235 .287 .306 .593

Schafer isn't better for his career OR hotter lately. No reason at all to start him over BJ.
    This times 1000... Schafer was a nice story for an extremely small sample size but he fell back to earth to where he always has been... Which is much worse player than BJ even when BJ is at his worst. People need to wake up and get off Schafers jock because he's terrible.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (09-14-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Just got off work and saw where we lost....AGAIN! This is getting ridiculous. We have an easy schedule yet we can't win these games and sew up the division.

I have a hard time believing the Nats will catch us but damn its only a 10 game lead when it was like 15 last week. After the past 2-3 years how can a Braves fan not be worried? This is really getting old year after year.

Washington keeps winning and we keep losing. You also have to wonder if the past couple of years are in these players psyche with the massive choking we've done recently. I really hate to say this but I don't see us getting past the first round any way. This team is not built for the play-offs. I'm usually pretty up beat about my favorite teams but unfortunately the truth hurts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,528 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teheran_49 View Post
    Just got off work and saw where we lost....AGAIN! This is getting ridiculous. We have an easy schedule yet we can't win these games and sew up the division.

I have a hard time believing the Nats will catch us but damn its only a 10 game lead when it was like 15 last week. After the past 2-3 years how can a Braves fan not be worried? This is really getting old year after year.

Washington keeps winning and we keep losing. You also have to wonder if the past couple of years are in these players psyche with the massive choking we've done recently. I really hate to say this but I don't see us getting past the first round any way. This team is not built for the play-offs. I'm usually pretty up beat about my favorite teams but unfortunately the truth hurts.
    Christ. Go home and go to bed.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

bravesnumberone (09-14-2013), Julio3000 (09-14-2013)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Last time I checked, the Braves still have the best record in the NL, and there's no way the Nats are going to catch. Washington is not even discussing catching the Braves. They are holding out hope for the wildcard. All of that being said, last night's loss ranks up there as one of the worst and most inexcusable of the season. To waste an outing like that from that kid was borderline criminal.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts

Let's say, if we make it past the first round, you get a one week ban?
    Forever Fredi

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tvsportscaster View Post
    Last time I checked, the Braves still have the best record in the NL, and there's no way the Nats are going to catch. Washington is not even discussing catching the Braves. They are holding out hope for the wildcard. All of that being said, last night's loss ranks up there as one of the worst and most inexcusable of the season. To waste an outing like that from that kid was borderline criminal.
    If the Braves only win 2 games the rest of the way the Nats have to go 10-5 to win. THey're not a threat. The Braves would pretty much have to lose out for the Nats to have a realistic prayer, cause the Nats will not win out and odds are that even if the Braves struggle, they'll win 5 games of their last 15.
    Last edited by zitothebrave; 09-14-2013 at 08:09 AM.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    I do see one scenario which would nuke the worth of this entire season:
    1. Braves win division
    2. Nats stay hot, even winning 2 (or God forbid, 3) from us in Washington; gets their little sphincters all pumped up
    3. Nats win Wild Card
    4. Because of Braves limping to the finish, Nats overcome logic and are able to beat them in a play-off series because "they believe".

That POS team Marlins did it in 1997. Hope the Braves beat these Padre pretenders and then rip the Nats' throats out next week! Put an end to this end of the year foolishness.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravebonebook For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (09-14-2013), bravesnumberone (09-14-2013)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    528 Posts
    I'm usually one to defend Fredi, but the bullpen management was a real head scratcher tonight. I'll just chalk it up to him having too many options and getting too excited.

As for games like this, we haven't had many all year where the bullpen let us down. I'm glad to get one out of the way before we head to the playoffs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithLockhart View Post
    Let's say, if we make it past the first round, you get a one week ban?
    I'm not going to bet against my team I can't do that but obviously you haven't watched the Braves for the past 12 years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tvsportscaster View Post
    As I stated I said I know it won't happen but with the past couple of years it's hard not to believe that it can't happen. I see everyone is blaming Freddi and Ayala but no one is blaming Walden? Why? Checking the stats it seems he was worse than Ayala and he's the reason we blew this game. So why not go after Walden???

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    As I stated I said I know it won't happen but with the past couple of years it's hard not to believe that it can't happen. I see everyone is blaming Freddi and Ayala but no one is blaming Walden? Why? Checking the stats it seems he was worse than Ayala and he's the reason we blew this game. So why not go after Walden???
    Good point about Walden, but he's also still recovering from an injury and three weeks worth of inactivity. Another culprit is the offense, once again, they do all their damage in one inning and do nothing the rest of the way. They need to start getting add on runs when they can and that will lessen the margin for error.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    I don't think any of what Fredi did last night was horrible. But there were three things we can nitpick at:

1) Leaving Ayala in for the second inning

2) Walden just pitched his first game in weeks in Thursday. Does it make sense to use him in back-to-back games right off the bat? To me there are risks of two kinds here. One is the risk of re-injury. You want to ease a guy back in especially when the regular season is not that big a deal anymore. Also there is the risk his arm needs a little time to round into the kind of shape it needs to be in for him to pitch effectively on consecutive days.

3) Twice Fredi made a move to get a platoon advantage relative to a hitter and twice Bud Black just burned that hitter by going to the bench. It seems to me that when the rosters expand in September, the kind of moves Fredi made to get the platoon advantage don't make much sense because the other manager has so many other options on his bench.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (09-14-2013), jpx7 (09-14-2013), NYCBrave (09-14-2013)