Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 June Draft Results Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    Yep, if the Braves believed strongly they were taking these two guys at market value and they were at risk of losing them, then the picks are defensible. I suppose we'll never know for sure. I guess I just prefer a more flexible, value-driven approach to drafting. In other words, don't fall in love with a 17 year old like Soroka at the risk of capitalizing on others that end up being available unexpectedly below perceived market value. It felt last night that we were willing to take on injury and development risks, but not "market" risks.
    The thing is that we don't know where Soroka and Riley stood on other team's draft boards. If they are best player on your board, you have to take them rather than speculate about what other teams might do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    The Teix deal was centered around Andrus and Salty. I don't even remember the others.. but you've gone back two decades to pull an example
    I was trying to show a historical pattern that this front office has shown the willingness to make those types of trades.

The Teix deal had very much to do about Feliz/Harrison as well. Those two piecesended up being the most valueable anyway.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    I don't think many like him as a baserunner though.
    Some liked him as a dancer. The Bolshoi scouted him I believe.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    You guys do realize that other teams have taken the Cubs' approach in the past of targeting position players and failed?

Theo has done an excellent job in Chicago, but he's been very, very, very fortunate that so many have worked out. Any team building strategy is a good one if your success rate is a 100%.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    3 of the 8 haven't pitched in the majors and another 2 have very little major league experience. You list those 8 like the Braves have the pitching staff of the ages.

The Red Sox haven't had consistently high draft picks, but they have figured out a way to load up on talented position players. (not just because of money)
    Who are the Red Sox loaded positional players.

Betts wasa great pick. Swihart hasn't done anything yet (using your same critcism as guys like Wisler). Who else?

They signed their hitters mostly.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    If young offensive talent is at a premium, it's a reasonable assumption that it simply wasn't available for rental players?

I'm fine with the trade returns. It is hard to be disappointed with a ton of pitchers when those pitchers are all pitching great. You cite the Cubs as a team that rebuilt with young offense, but the Rays and Cardinals built their cores with young pitching. There are multiple ways to win.
    The Rays top prospect (Willy Adames) was acquired for David Price. They also acquired Daniel Robertson (3rd ranked prospect) for Ben Zobrist. THe number 2 prospect (Souza) was acquired for a bat. 7 of their top 10 prospects are position players. I think you could argue they've made a clear shift to trying to load up on position players.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Prado was the key piece of that deal... and we also traded two other hitters - one of which is their starting SS
    Drury and Ahmed were the very definition of throw in pieces (at the time at least).

It's seems rather petty to criticize the team for picking the wrong players when the players they did get are almost universally performing well with the only exception being Rio Ruiz (the young offensive player we got fwiw).

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Hey guys, I don't post here that much but am a loyal lurker. Anyways, appreciate your guys' insight on the draft...couple of questions:

1) Where does a guy like Allard slot into our prospect rankings off the bat?
    2) How are teams' money pools determined? How do the Astros end up with $17M?
    3) Don't teams receive a compensatory pick if a player they draft doesn't sign? What would the risk have been had the Braves nabbed Daz at 28 but not signed him? (Aside from opportunity cost of drafting a signable player like Soroka)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    The Rays top prospect (Willy Adames) was acquired for David Price. They also acquired Daniel Robertson (3rd ranked prospect) for Ben Zobrist. THe number 2 prospect (Souza) was acquired for a bat. 7 of their top 10 prospects are position players. I think you could argue they've made a clear shift to trying to load up on position players.
    Sure. It's possible. But they are successful because of Chris Archer and Jake Odrizzi. Both are young pitchers acquired in trades.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Texiera
    Nixon
    McGriff
    Grissom

Also, lets not forget that they had a deal for Barry Bonds in place which included a bunch of pitchers but Jim Leyland nixed the deal.
    Otis Nixon? Come on dude, you are better than that.

2 of the largest parts (and maybe the 2 most highly coveted players) in the Tex trade were Salty and Andrus

Grissom was traded for Tarasco, Kelly, and Yan. To use that as support is really odd since Tarasco was the most highly thought of player in the deal.

I'm not going to argue the Braves have never used a pitcher to acquire a hitter, but your examples are terrible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomahawkchop View Post
    Hey guys, I don't post here that much but am a loyal lurker. Anyways, appreciate your guys' insight on the draft...couple of questions:

3) Don't teams receive a compensatory pick if a player they draft doesn't sign? What would the risk have been had the Braves nabbed Daz at 28 but not signed him? (Aside from opportunity cost of drafting a signable player like Soroka)
    1) I'd say somewhere in the top 10 but not easy to break the top 5 right now.
    2) Each pick is assigned a monetary value and the aggregate determines your pool. Astros have more becuase they failed to sign Aiken last year and get that pick back mean more money.
    3) Answered in (2). Yes, you get that pick back the following year. Not sure how the order is determined though.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    You guys do realize that other teams have taken the Cubs' approach in the past of targeting position players and failed?

Theo has done an excellent job in Chicago, but he's been very, very, very fortunate that so many have worked out. Any team building strategy is a good one if your success rate is a 100%.
    Certainly. Either way, it is a strategy that I wish the Braves would take (rightly or wrongly)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Otis Nixon? Come on dude, you are better than that.

2 of the largest parts (and maybe the 2 most highly coveted players) in the Tex trade were Salty and Andrus

Grissom was traded for Tarasco, Kelly, and Yan. To use that as support is really odd since Tarasco was the most highly thought of player in the deal.

I'm not going to argue the Braves have never used a pitcher to acquire a hitter, but your examples are terrible.
    Prospects are used as currency and pitching prospects have value. Braves have PROVEN to use pitching prospects to acquire hitters.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomahawkchop View Post

1) Kiley McDaniel pegged him as a 55-60 FV if healthy. That would put him as likely our second or third best prospect behind Ozzie Albies.
    2) The bonus pools are determined as a summation of the allocated slot for each draft pick. The more picks you have, then the more money you get.
    3) Draft picks are protected up to 2 years. So if a player doesn't sign then you get a pick the next year. If a player doesn't sign the next year with the compensation pick then you get one more pick the next year before it vanishes.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Who are the Red Sox loaded positional players.

Betts wasa great pick. Swihart hasn't done anything yet (using your same critcism as guys like Wisler). Who else?

They signed their hitters mostly.
    Castillo, Moncada, Swihart, Devers, Margot, cecchini, Marrero, Bogaerts, Betts,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Castillo, Moncada, Swihart, Devers, Margot, cecchini, Marrero, Bogaerts, Betts,
    Wow, so the Red Sox had a bunch of money.

Thanks for not proving your point.

Also, Cecchini has stalled the last 2 years.
    Natural Immunity Croc

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Drury and Ahmed were the very definition of throw in pieces (at the time at least).

It's seems rather petty to criticize the team for picking the wrong players when the players they did get are almost universally performing well with the only exception being Rio Ruiz (the young offensive player we got fwiw).
    I'm not criticizing the returns. I'm criticizing the philosophy

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Lots of Georgia high school kids still on the board: RHP Dakota Chalmers, LHH OF Chad Smith, IF/OF Alonzo Jones, Cs Joey Bart and Christopher Cullen, SS Jalen Miller. A ton of other pitchers.

IF Trey Cabbage is a highly-ranked HS hitter out of Grainger, Tennessee. He's played his summer ball for an East Cobb team (Team Elite Roadrunners), so the Braves have probably had a very good look at him.

Curious if the Braves mine the JCs in the SE today at all. A few guys out of Chipola (FL) JC: LHP Mac Marshall, OF/1B Isiah Gilliam, and OF Reese Cooley. Wallace-Hanceville RHP Chad Smith (not to be confused with Snellville, GA, HS OF Chad Smith) is another guy. Two guys out of Shelton State (AL) CC: Gargantuan LHP Chase Johnson-Mullins and RHP Grayson Jones. RHP Scooter Hightower out of Columbia (TN) JC.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-09-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Certainly. Either way, it is a strategy that I wish the Braves would take (rightly or wrongly)
    I don't want us to narrow our focus on anything in specific. If the strategy is always take BPA, then I think that applies to prospect accumulation as well.

For as much love as the Cubs have gotten in this thread, they just spent 150 million on a 32 year old starting pitcher.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

thethe (06-09-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    I'm not criticizing the returns. I'm criticizing the philosophy
    Is there a difference?