Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: 5/28/15: GDT - Atlanta Braves @ SF Giants *NOT Dodgers* (Cunningham gets a start!)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    But the improvement is going to come from players down on the farm and more than likely a future trade. Also, we are not sure what the budget is going to look like in the future as well.
    A team full of Jace Peterson's

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Julio3000 (05-29-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I'm a very patient fan too. I followed guys like Justice, Avery, Merker, Glavine and Smoltz through the farm system during the Dark Years. I was an enthusiastic supporter of rebuilding through the farm system during those years. I do feel very differently about this rebuild because I believe we had a competitive foundation for 2015 (and beyond for that matter). We have improved the longer term outlook by punting on 2015. But you can always do that. To me there has to be a calculus behind the decision to punt and it has to do with where you expect to be on the win curve without punting. The answer I come up with is very different now than it was for the Dark Years period.
    How is the calculus affected if a long term extension was not possible with these guys? If money wasn't an issue I would have signed Upton and Heyward obviously. I just don't think that was a realistic option.

Justin Upton is going to get paid an enormous amount of money to go to the AL. Not really sure what Heyward is going to get at thistime.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    A team full of Jace Peterson's
    If that is whats available then so be it until additional improvements can be made. You can't put a square peg into a round hole. If something is available in the future that significantly improves the major league club I am confident that Hart will explore that option.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    I'm a very patient fan too. I followed guys like Justice, Avery, Merker, Glavine and Smoltz through the farm system during the Dark Years. I was an enthusiastic supporter of rebuilding through the farm system during those years. I do feel very differently about this rebuild because I believe we had a competitive foundation for 2015 (and beyond for that matter). We have improved the longer term outlook by punting on 2015. But you can always do that. To me there has to be a calculus behind the decision to punt and it has to do with where you expect to be on the win curve without punting. The answer I come up with is very different now than it was for the Dark Years period.

Simply trading away veterans for prospects and slapping a rebuild name on it, doesn't mean the team in automatically going to be a contender in (insert random year that fits narrative). There are plenty of teams in MLB with stacked farm systems. There are a few teams in MLB that are contenders + have stacked farm systems. The Braves certainly upgraded the talent level on the farm at the expense of the talent level in the majors. But, unfortunately talent level on the farm doesn't guarantee success. Right now we have 2 everyday MLB proven major leaguers with a chance of another 2 in Maybin/Peterson that you would reasonably expect to be productive in 2-3 years. We have to essentially fill 4-5 spots on the major league roster and you cannot expect every prospect to reach their max level of talent.

You can certainly claim that you like the direction of the team (yeezus and thethe will say this no matter what). But, to say the rebuild was an unequivocal success is grasping at straws way too early.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gilesfan For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-29-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    How is the calculus affected if a long term extension was not possible with these guys? If money wasn't an issue I would have signed Upton and Heyward obviously. I just don't think that was a realistic option.

Justin Upton is going to get paid an enormous amount of money to go to the AL. Not really sure what Heyward is going to get at thistime.
    In my view our long-term competitiveness does not turn on keeping both Justin Upton and Heyward or even one of them. It has to do with the fact that even without those two we have a competitive core (Freeman, Simmons, Teheran, Wood). There are so many scenarios that would have expanded on that core and sustained our competiveness beyond 2015 without punting on 2015. We could have traded just one of them. We could have traded one of them plus Gattis. We could have traded one of them plus Gattis plus Kimbrel. And many scenarios beyond those that would have allowed us to field a competitive team in 2015 and still have a bright future.

The future can always be made brighter by punting. We can make it even brighter by punting in 2016. And 2017. And beyond. The Pirates did that for years and years and finally have a decent team. The Cubs did for years and years and will soon be getting rewarded for it. But punting has little appeal to me unless you really don't have a foundation to build upon. And that was not the case with this team. You punt if your best player is Dale Murphy in his declining years. You don't punt during the prime years of guys like Freeman and Simmons.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 05-29-2015 at 03:42 PM.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-29-2015), jpx7 (05-29-2015), Julio3000 (05-29-2015), sturg33 (05-29-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    Simply trading away veterans for prospects and slapping a rebuild name on it, doesn't mean the team in automatically going to be a contender in (insert random year that fits narrative). There are plenty of teams in MLB with stacked farm systems. There are a few teams in MLB that are contenders + have stacked farm systems. The Braves certainly upgraded the talent level on the farm at the expense of the talent level in the majors. But, unfortunately talent level on the farm doesn't guarantee success. Right now we have 2 everyday MLB proven major leaguers with a chance of another 2 in Maybin/Peterson that you would reasonably expect to be productive in 2-3 years. We have to essentially fill 4-5 spots on the major league roster and you cannot expect every prospect to reach their max level of talent.

You can certainly claim that you like the direction of the team (yeezus and thethe will say this no matter what). But, to say the rebuild was an unequivocal success is grasping at straws way too early.
    I think it's clear that, regardless of how successful the rebuild is or is not, the mere fact that we needed to rebuild despite having a roster littered with under 25 talent showcased the real issue of the team - the ownership. That problem wasn't traded away and it remains alive and well.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-29-2015), jpx7 (05-29-2015), Julio3000 (05-29-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    I think it's clear that, regardless of how successful the rebuild is or is not, the mere fact that we needed to rebuild despite having a roster littered with under 25 talent showcased the real issue of the team - the ownership. That problem wasn't traded away and it remains alive and well.
    This is a fair point and sadly one we will have to deal with for a long time.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Interestingly enough the four players (Maybin, Miller, Folty and Peterson) currently on our major league roster that we got in exchange for the big 4 of Heyward, Gattis, Upton and Kimbrel, actually have a combined higher WAR than the latter 4. So you could certainly argue that we actually are a better team this season because we traded away those guys. The only deal that hasn't made us better or about the same is the Upton deal.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Imagine our team had we kept Heyward and not signed Markakis. Kept Upton. Kept Gattis. Still made the Kimbrel and Uribe trades. I know, I know... it doesn't work like that - but I would love this team right now!

Maybin
    Heyward
    JUp
    Freeman
    Gattis
    Uribe
    KJ (at 2B) - or Peraza
    Simmons

Rotation

Teheran
    Wood
    Perez
    Banuelos
    Somebody we would have had to sign

Point is - we had a damn good foundation and we could have fixed the REAL problems of last year's team by fixing CF, 2B, and 3B... We would have had to spend some money to get another pitcher in here - but we would have had the money after the BJ/Kimbrel trade and not getting Cahill.

Yes - I know - things don't work like that. But the core of the team was so talented and so young it's ridiculous that we are punting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    The other factor was the extreme attrition of young pitchers who had established themselves in the majors: Jurrjens, Hanson, Medlen, Beachy, Minor, Venters and Shae Simmons. It put financial pressure on the team. We had to break the budget (and give up our #1 pick) to sign Santana. And it also made the pitching depth in the minor league system look less than satisfactory. Clearly we had to find a way to acquire a young cost-controlled starter. And we actually did with the Heyward trade. I still am puzzled why Hart continued to tear the team down after that initial trade. The best explanation I have is that he had a very negative assessment of what was coming through the pipeline. It is true that our minor league depth was depleted. But I think we would have had a strong competitive team in 2015 even if we had to lean on guys like Martin, Hale, Thomas and Williams Perez. Hart seems to have had a very different view on these guys (except for Williams Perez). He traded Hale and Thomas for very little. And he was willing to lose Martin in the Rule 5 draft.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 05-29-2015 at 03:50 PM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-29-2015), jpx7 (05-29-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I think the fact that no teams selected Martin in the rule 5 draft says something as well don't you think?
    Last edited by thethe; 05-29-2015 at 03:51 PM.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Imagine our team had we kept Heyward and not signed Markakis. Kept Upton. Kept Gattis. Still made the Kimbrel and Uribe trades. I know, I know... it doesn't work like that - but I would love this team right now!

Maybin
    Heyward
    JUp
    Freeman
    Gattis
    Uribe
    KJ (at 2B) - or Peraza
    Simmons

Rotation

Teheran
    Wood
    Perez
    Banuelos
    Somebody we would have had to sign

Point is - we had a damn good foundation and we could have fixed the REAL problems of last year's team by fixing CF, 2B, and 3B... We would have had to spend some money to get another pitcher in here - but we would have had the money after the BJ/Kimbrel trade and not getting Cahill.

Yes - I know - things don't work like that. But the core of the team was so talented and so young it's ridiculous that we are punting
    That rotation is horrible considering Banuelos needed more time in the minor leagues and has a strict innings limit. The team would have been a disaster in the starting rotation come July and then we would be staring armagedden in the face with impedning FA of Heyward/Upton.

Also, how do we know if the Kimbrel/BJ trade happens without the J-Upt deal? They may not seem connected but it could have led to a different mindset from the Padres.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    That rotation is horrible considering Banuelos needed more time in the minor leagues and has a strict innings limit. The team would have been a disaster in the starting rotation come July and then we would be staring armagedden in the face with impedning FA of Heyward/Upton.

Also, how do we know if the Kimbrel/BJ trade happens without the J-Upt deal? They may not seem connected but it could have led to a different mindset from the Padres.
    Obviously if we weren't punting we would have made moves for the rotation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    I think the fact that no teams selected Martin in the rule 5 draft says something as well don't you think?
    It says a number of things.

Since you seem fond of browsing through old threads here a couple (relevant to the Rule 5 decisions as they were being made) that you might enjoy.

http://www.chopcountry.com/forums/sh...hlight=Cunniff

http://www.chopcountry.com/forums/sh...ghlight=Delino

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    It says a number of things.

Since you seem fond of browsing through old threads here a couple (relevant to the Rule 5 decisions as they were being made) that you might enjoy.

http://www.chopcountry.com/forums/sh...hlight=Cunniff

http://www.chopcountry.com/forums/sh...ghlight=Delino
    You nailed it with Deshields for sure. But I think Texas picked before us right?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Obviously if we weren't punting we would have made moves for the rotation
    We could've also signed and not released Wandy either way too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    You nailed it with Deshields for sure. But I think Texas picked before us right?
    I supported him on DeShields, but thankfully we have other options now. However, it did cost us Justin Upton to get Mallex Smith, etc.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 05-29-2015 at 04:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Yes. I appreciate Delino making me look good.

Btw I liked the Winkler pick. I view him the same way as I view guys like Martin, Thomas, Hale and Williams Perez. If you have a half dozen pitchers like that, one of them will come through for you. The problem is you don't know ahead of time which one will come through. The solution is to hold on to them and keep them busy in AAA or the pen and give them a shot as the opportunity arises. I really don't know why we're messing around with some of the guys we have in our pen right now when we could have given those spots to Hale, Martin and Thomas.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 05-29-2015 at 04:28 PM.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-29-2015), jpx7 (05-29-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    As a supporter of the rebuild trades and disliker of the Markakis signing, I can respect some of the hybrid rebuild ideas mentioned in this thread. We would have had a nice 2015 team if we had kept either Heyward or JUp with the Markakis money, but still moved forward with most / all of the other trades. It's not a proposal I remember anyone championing over the winter, but it's a good one in hindsight. To be honest, that Kimbrel trade was such a big win for us that you can play out a number of different hindsight scenarios with that as a back-drop that veer more toward "win now" that I'd be comfortable with.

Back to reality, I'm just thankful the set of moves we did make has worked out as well as they have so far. Not perfect, but I'm happy.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dak For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-29-2015), nsacpi (05-29-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Yeah the early returns on the trades have exceeded my expectations. But we have to keep in mind that the climb to the majors is a very tough one. There are no guarantees even for the guys like Mallex Smith who have been doing very well lately.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-29-2015), Garmel (05-29-2015)