Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: July International Signees

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I'm very surprised the Braves did not sign either Oliviera or Tomas. I thought that was the plan all along. Hopefully this will make up for it with some high quality talent in the pipeline.
    Oliveria didn't make sense at the price the Dodgers paid him. Maybe if we had last year's core and we were making a final push, but with 2017 in mind it was probably best to pass on him.

I'm mostly just glad that they are trying now. It's been a long time since we have seen the Braves connected to any of these type of signings.

Tomas is interesting. He's been able to hit at a good clip, albeit with little power or discipline. He also weighs 260 pounds at 24 years old and is a disaster in the field. I think I would prefer other targets for big splashes.
    Last edited by chop2chip; 05-29-2015 at 08:07 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    Oliveria didn't make sense at the price the Dodgers paid him. Maybe if we had last year's core and we were making a final push, but with 2017 in mind it was probably best to pass on him.

I'm mostly just glad that they are trying now. It's been a long time since we have seen the Braves connected to any of these type of signings.

Tomas is interesting. He's been able to hit at a good clip, albeit with little power or discipline. He also weighs 260 pounds at 24 years old and is a disaster in the field. I think I would prefer other targets for big splashes.
    Tomas has hit better than I expected so far, but it's still a SSS and he's new to the league so too early to say much. But either way I don't like him at third base and he looks like either a 1B/DH type long-term so I was never interested in paying a lot for him. I was very interested in Olivera of course, but we just couldn't outbid the Dodgers.
    Last edited by Braves1976; 05-29-2015 at 08:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I think in the worst case scenario you could have moved Tomas to LF but who knows. I just thought it was a worthwhile gamble. If you hit on one of these Cuban players then you have a well below market value contract.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I think in the worst case scenario you could have moved Tomas to LF but who knows. I just thought it was a worthwhile gamble. If you hit on one of these Cuban players then you have a well below market value contract.
    That's certainly possible and it's at least a good thought process. I just take issue with fat baseball players. Very few of them can provide value in ways other than offense.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    That's certainly possible and it's at least a good thought process. I just take issue with fat baseball players. Very few of them can provide value in ways other than offense.
    Plus combining him in left field with Markakis in RF is not wise, IMO. Plus then if you move Markakis to LF later, Tomas must go to RF unless traded.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    I like the sound of that.
    I will as well if this isn't another edition of rope a dope a fanbase.

Although, it's tantalizing as hell. Lots of young talent infused this draft and this offseason and another draft and large pool of signings this coming offseason in the IF market.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I will as well if this isn't another edition of rope a dope a fanbase.

Although, it's tantalizing as hell. Lots of young talent infused this draft and this offseason and another draft and large pool of signings this coming offseason in the IF market.
    Like you said, all those things coupled with what could be a nice 2015 draft class, a couple of big targets in the 2015 international class, a high 2016 draft pick, and possible a huge 2016 international class could pay huge dividends.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-29-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,991 Posts
    Let's just get these 2016 guys signed early and get the visa issues over with so they can actually be somewhere near camp 2 or 3 months after signing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Let's just get these 2016 guys signed early and get the visa issues over with so they can actually be somewhere near camp 2 or 3 months after signing
    Don't worry man, I hear Toscano's issues will be cleared up by Spring Training next year. :)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (05-29-2015), zbhargrove (05-29-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    Don't worry man, I hear Toscano's issues will be cleared up by Spring Training next year. :)
    We didn't sign that guy 36 hrs before camp either
    Ivermectin Man

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (05-29-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Interesting note from Ben Badler of Baseball America in his chat today:

"Roger (Greenville, SC): Do you see the Braves going over their international bonus pool this July 2? I've seen them linked to 2 players that combined could be about as much as they can trade for.

Ben Badler: I do think they will be in the market to trade for additional pool space, based on the players I’ve heard them strongly connected to. The bigger things I’m hearing on Atlanta is they want to go big—I mean, BIG—on international spending in 2016. Like, what the Yankees did last year kind of big. Given how many teams are going to be facing signing restrictions in 2016 for going over their pools, I’m a big proponent of that strategy."
    I was initially hoping to see the Braves greatly exceed their pool limit in the 2015-2016 period that starts this July, but the strategy of waiting until 2016-2017 to do this does seem sound. Here are the teams that definitely can't sign players over $300k in the 2016-2017 period: BOS, NYY, TB, LAA, ARI. Everyone thinks LAD will make a mockery of their pool limit in the 2015-2016 period, so they will also be restricted in 2016-2017 (huge deal). CHC and TEX are also off "probation" starting with the 2015-2016 period and could employ a strategy to exceed their limits along with LAD.

As you can see, that is a long list of teams with a history of big international spending that will be out of our way in the 2016-2017 period. In addition, those teams may not value their 2015-2016 bonus slots as much and thus increase the # of teams we could trade with so that we could build up our own pool a bit for 2015-2016. If Badler's info is correct, this seems like a great strategy.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Kiley McDaniel has said there are two elite type talents in next years July 2 class:

The Top of the 2016 Class

Before jumping into the top five projected bonuses for the 2015 class (eligible to sign on July 2nd, 2015), I have a quick update on the 2016 class. I’ve already written about*Venezuelan SS Kevin Maitan*(link includes video), who has been compared by scouts to*Miguel Cabrera*and is being called the top July 2nd prospect in many years, probably the best since Twins 3B*Miguel Sano. I talked to many scouts about Maitan in the Dominican last month and it’s been amazing that no one has said anything negative about him. With players of this age getting hype, you almost always have scouts telling you to be cautious, but everyone I’ve talked to just keeps throwing out high end comparisons like*Juan Gonzalez, conceding that he’s really good and probably one of the best they’ve ever seen.*In short, Maitan is a switch-hitting shortstop that’s advanced for his age across the board, but most scouts think he’ll add bulk and move off the position, like Cabrera and Sano and other elite prospects in the past.

One more name has been brought up as a high end guy in the 2016 class:*Venezuelan C Abraham Gutierrez, who trains with former big leaguer*Carlos Guillen. Gutierrez is average to plus across the board with precocious all fields power and the tools to stick behind the plate. He’s obviously also very young, so it’s very early to throw lofty comparisons around like with Maitan, but scouts have said Gutierrez’s overall game*is along the lines of*Mike Piazza.

fangraphs.com/blogs/july-2nd-plans-are-coming-into-focus

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jay212033 For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (05-30-2015), JohnAdcox (05-31-2015), thethe (05-30-2015)

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    BA chat too said that rumor around baseball is that we're going to be major spenders in 2016 like the Yankees were this past international period...

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Bravesfannchar For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-31-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I cannot believe it! Could it be true this time, is Toscano really in Florida?:

@mlbbowman
    Dian Toscano is working out at the #Braves' ST complex. Will start playing Minor Lg. games after completion of some administrative issues

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (05-31-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    I cannot believe it! Could it be true this time?:

@mlbbowman
    Dian Toscano is working out at the #Braves' ST complex. Will start playing Minor Lg. games after completion of some administrative issues
    Oh so more administrative hurdles?

I'm sure Truman faced less red tape when he dropped those bombs on Japan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Oh so more administrative hurdles?

I'm sure Truman faced less red tape when he dropped those bombs on Japan.
    If you recall, they reported him being in Florida once before too. Hopefully he's here to stay and will actually play some games soon this time. I'll believe when I see it. :)

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Anything good in the new Baseball America article?!?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,731 Posts
    Derian Cruz, ss, Dominican Republic

Like Fox, Cruz is switch-hitter with quick-twitch athleticism and plus-plus wheels. He has a gliding stride and is one of the most explosive players on the market, with some scouts predicting he will develop into a true 80 runner as he adds strength to his wiry 6-foot, 170-pound frame. Cruz is a better hitter from the right side, and while some teams saw risk with the bat, others liked his strong forearms, line-drive stroke, ability to find the barrel and drive the ball into the gaps, with more doubles now and a chance to grow into 8-12 home runs. Cruz should get a chance to prove he can play shortstop, but a lot of scouts see him either moving over to second base because of his funky arm stroke or letting his speed take over in center field. He’s a smart kid who has already finished high school and earns praise for his aptitude. Cruz trained with Javier Rodriguez and Rudy Santin. They both had Cuban outfielder Dian Toscano, who signed a four-year, $6 million contract with the Braves in January. The Braves look like they are the strong favorites to sign Cruz as well.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravesfannchar View Post
    BA chat too said that rumor around baseball is that we're going to be major spenders in 2016 like the Yankees were this past international period...
    And here's an article reflecting that idea...

http://www.baseballamerica.com/inter...al-bonus-pool/
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

26. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-20-2015)

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    And here's an article reflecting that idea...

http://www.baseballamerica.com/inter...al-bonus-pool/
    Boom...

Excited for next two July's

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Bravesfannchar For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-20-2015)