Page 971 of 1146 FirstFirst ... 47187192196196997097197297398110211071 ... LastLast
Results 19,401 to 19,420 of 22913

Thread: REAL FOOTBALL Thread

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,775 Posts
    The fact that the no-call is still getting this much attention is bad for the NFL. Anyone watching pro football this year will probably tell you this was the worst officiated season maybe ever. This is a nightmare for the league. This is far worse than the no catch call on Dez Bryant in Lambeau. This had a direct effect on the result of not just a game, but one with a trip to the Super Bowl on the line. This falls not just on the officials, but on Roger Goodell. There is no accountability in the NFL anymore. This offseason, Goodell and the officials have to figure out how to fix this problem. It’s going to take more than saying “yeah it was a blown call”. Those are just words. Goodell is good at saying words. Actually taking action is something he has difficulty with at times.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Terrible call, but the thing I found interesting is that the ball was so poorly thrown that if the Rams' offending player would have turned around at all, he would have easily knocked it down or perhaps made a pick. Easy for me to say because the defender was beaten so badly all he could think about was getting to the wide receiver. Game has gotten so fast with so many different offensive and defensive sets that it is very difficult for the referees to keep up. With everyone using this short-passing game, there's bound to be a ton of contact (though not on this play).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    The MLB comparison is a batter checking their swing on a 3-1 count and the ump saying he swung. Batter still has a chance to get a hit. And failed.

The Saints got the ball first in overtime, and then threw a pick. They could have easily won the game or at least put a field goal on the board. But they failed at doing that.

How does that penalty end the game? What if the Saints fumble the ball and the Rams recover and then drive down the field and win in regulation? What if the Saints miss the chipshot field goal? Anything can happen.

Look at the facts.

Rams outgained the saints by 80 yards, averaging almost a yard more per play. Rams won the possession battle, and the Saints had way less penalties called than the Rams.

I'm guessing that the Rams fans have way more than their share of calls to be upset about.
    I would say the MLB comparison would be more a pitcher plunking a batter in the head and the umpire calling it a strike. Yeah we had chances to win the game after that but at that point its hard to overcome bad calls like that. That had to have an effect on the Saints afterwards.

You can what if to death but if the right call is made they could take a knee and kick a field goal and give the Rams less than 20 seconds with no timeouts. Lutz hit a longer field goal so its laughable to suggest he would have missed from closer. Meteors could have come down from the sky... whon knows. What I do know is if the right call was made the Saints odds of winning are 99.9999999999999%.

There are questionable calls that go against every team. I saw no less than 10 uncalled face mask penalties over the Eagles and Rams game. This wasnt a questionable call. The only person I have heard question is is McVay.

I hope the Rams win. Then they can face the real NFC champs in the season opener and get beat down yet again. Then just as I dont recognize the Yankees because of theirblong history od cheating I will cheer for the 2 time superb bowl champ Brees.

All I want from the league at this point is a an accurate accounting of the situation. We deserve to know which ref ****ed up. Robey said one of the refs said the ball was tipped. I want to know which ref said it was tipped. Then I want him to be given every video angle possible and have him point out where the ball wqs tipped. If it wasnt I want to know at what point he decided it was tipped and by what player. Michael Thomas said he saw the sideline ref reach for the flag then another ref ran up to him and the ref pocketed the flag. I want to know why he reached for his flag and what the other ref said to him. Was he going to throw the flag and the other ran up and told him it was tipped. I want all this under oath. If they plead the 5th it should be a lifetime ban from the NFL.

Normally I wouldnt be okay with these refs getting death threats and harasament but they deserve it. It should stop only when they are fires or reaign in disgrace. I am seeing a lot of petitions and lawsuits which will go nowhere. The best case is the one by peoppe whoblost money betting on the Saints. Not gonna hold my breath on that one but the NFL absolutely should be liable when their game ends fraudulently. Call it incentive to get it right next time. I think a lawsuit against the ref has a real chance though. As far as I know they have no unique protection from the law like government employees do. If you or me commit a crime while in the process of doing our job we are still accoubtable to the law. Beyond that I think they could be charged with disorderly conduct and inciting a riot.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    I have heard a few things like the 2 closest refs on that play live in LA. If that is true then I will start leaning towards the refs purposely blowing the call rather than just incompetence. Lawsuit likely still loses but I wonder if they couls come accross any damning circumstantial evidence during the lawsuit. For example, if one of those refs has a house full of NFL memorbilia that is only of the Rams. Maybe they frequent a Rams fans message board.

I have also heard that one of the refs was a former player for the Rams and Falcons. Thats ridiculous if true. I know Falcon fans would be upset if Deuce McAllister got to ref in your champipnship game. Maybe they should do Ref selection like jury selection for the playoffs. Give each team 3 chances to strike a ref from the game if they believe there to be conflicta of interest (or if they are just a ****ty ref). No ref should be working pro games in their home state, city they live in, or for teams they formerly played for.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...alflow-organic

CBS rejects ad advocating for legalizing Medical Marijuana. This is the **** I point to when people say "you gotta go through the proper channels to get laws changed". This is the uphill battle we face. 97% of Americans support medical marijuana and its not acceptable for a Super bowl commercial. I bet this went one of twp ways. Either the beer companies used their leverage to nix the commercial or possibly local law enforcement that is providing security used that leverage to nix the commercial. The federal government has spent billions of dollars telling you weed is bad and people who smoke it are dangerous people that nees to be caged like animals. How the **** are we supposed to compete with 100 billion dollars of propoganda over a span of 75 years? Its not democracy when the government takes your money and uses it spread lies. Marijuana prohibitio was not based on anything related to science but we have to prove its not bad to legalize it. They say oh it needa more study while at the same time the DEA will only allow research to people who are notoriously anti-marijuana.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses...41235281874945

Here is a perfect video angle of the play. The ref at fault here is Patrick Turner. He was in perfect position. Staring directly at the receiver. At first I couldnt make out if he was reaching for the flag but at the end when its slowed down you can see him grab the flag, then wait a second, then make the incomplete motion. When the side judge runs up to him he says "Bang Bang". I can understand a ref being out of position or not seeing something. That **** happens. There is no excuse in this situation. He is looking directly at the play. This guy should never ref any NFL game again. He doesnt know what Pass Interference is. How can he ever be trusted to call a game after this?
    Last edited by cajunrevenge; 01-22-2019 at 04:19 PM.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    https://www.law.du.edu/documents/spo.../05-Cadkin.pdf

Here is a good piece about refs liability and precedents. Courts have been granting refs qualified immunity but that would not apply in the case of gross negligence. So much like a police officer the ref can only be held accountable if it is shown that no reasonable person/ref would have made the call he did. I think there is a strong case to make there but I get the feeling other refs might try and cover for him. There is nothing in what I have seen that leads me to believe the call(or non call) was a mistake. I think it was deliberate. Why is anyones guess at this point.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Turns out the crooked ref is the one that replaced the ref that had played for the Rams and Falcons. Apparently Sean Payton has complained about that ref after a loss to the Falcons years ago. Still the right call to not have that ref in the game.

It’s over."

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    As long as Vegas got what it needed and the trickle down to the NFL happened everyone is happy. Looks like that is what happened here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    There is atleast one betting site that refunded bets made on the Saints due to fraud by the NFL.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    since its so short allow me to compile a list of people who thought that play was not a penalty.

The ref who blew the call while 10 feet in front of the play.

Referee Patrick Turner

Referee Gary Cavaletto

Jason Whitlock - somehow he claims the ball had passed the receiver by the time the DB hit the WR and said it was an uncatachable ball.

Anyone I miss out of the billions walking the Earth?

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts

I thought this was a particularly good take. Hope the Saints jump all over Antonio Brown though.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    https://www.nola.com/saints/2019/01/...mpionship.html

Crowd was so loud after the interception in the first quarter pieces of the dome were breaking off and falling.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    https://www.nola.com/saints/2019/01/...-nfl-says.html

The NFL said it would cost 100 million dollars to replay any or all of the game. At this point I am rooting for the Rams to win, then both teams can settle the score to open the season next year. The real Super Bowl.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    http://www.footballzebras.com/2019/0...-interference/

3 refs, Down Judge Patrick Turner, Side Judge Gary Cavalleto, and Back Judge Todd Prukop were in position to make a call on the play. Any of those 3 could have thrown a flag. Its unfathomable that all 3 miss the same call. I think in the case of Cavalleto its clear he runs up to Turner for an explanation to which he can be seen saying "Bang Bang". Those 3 refs should have huddled and if Cavalleto and Prukop say they think it was pass interference then that overrules Turner's non call. The crew chief Vinovich should be the one responsible for getting them together. He is the one that should have asked all 3, what did you see on the play, then go from there. Unfortunately these refs arent being made available for media to ask the relevant questions so we can get some answers. Goodell is in hiding and wont make any public statement. He has upcoming press events where he will no doubt be asked.

I have heard that Ref Patrick Turner lives 10 miles from Inglewood where there the new stadium is going up but I cant find anything to verify that so far. I wont be surprised if thats fake news. Completely unacceptable if true. I dont think any of you want a ref who lives 10 miles from the Super Dome reffing in a Championship game with your team facing the Saints either.

It’s over."

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    https://www.nola.com/saints/2019/01/...-nfl-says.html

The NFL said it would cost 100 million dollars to replay any or all of the game. At this point I am rooting for the Rams to win, then both teams can settle the score to open the season next year. The real Super Bowl.
    To be fair it doesn't take much crowd noise for a dump to start falling apart. Now if it would have happened inside Mercedes-Benz Stadium that would be something to brag about!
    Last edited by Acuña’s Bat Flip; 01-26-2019 at 08:37 AM.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    http://www.footballzebras.com/2019/0...-interference/

3 refs, Down Judge Patrick Turner, Side Judge Gary Cavalleto, and Back Judge Todd Prukop were in position to make a call on the play. Any of those 3 could have thrown a flag. Its unfathomable that all 3 miss the same call. I think in the case of Cavalleto its clear he runs up to Turner for an explanation to which he can be seen saying "Bang Bang". Those 3 refs should have huddled and if Cavalleto and Prukop say they think it was pass interference then that overrules Turner's non call. The crew chief Vinovich should be the one responsible for getting them together. He is the one that should have asked all 3, what did you see on the play, then go from there. Unfortunately these refs arent being made available for media to ask the relevant questions so we can get some answers. Goodell is in hiding and wont make any public statement. He has upcoming press events where he will no doubt be asked.

I have heard that Ref Patrick Turner lives 10 miles from Inglewood where there the new stadium is going up but I cant find anything to verify that so far. I wont be surprised if thats fake news. Completely unacceptable if true. I dont think any of you want a ref who lives 10 miles from the Super Dome reffing in a Championship game with your team facing the Saints either.
    When the zebras missed the literal tackling of Dallas' DE on the 4th down play where the Rams scored what would be the deciding TD in the game 2 weeks ago that was unacceptable. It was right there on the end, right in front of everybody. The missed pass interference call that screwed the Saints in the NFC Championship game was 100X worse IMO. I find it impossible to believe that this was simple incompetence. I don't agree with 9ers that the league is pro-Dallas, unless a specific game might earn them better ratings or shave a point or two from a Vegas spread. The Ezekiel Elliot travesty proved that, but when 3 different officials have a clear view of the missed PI call and NONE of them throw a flag it should be obvious to anyone who isn't a blind homer or worse, the NFL should just be shut down until they can either clean this WWE class crap up and make the game truly fair and unbiased again but there apparently isn't enough money in that sort of setup so get ready for the NFL to join the NBA in the world of "yet another area of where we claim to be a nation of honesty but really we're just a collection of rigged outcomes and intentions".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts

It’s over."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    When your position is “death threats are deserved” then I find it somewhat sort of hard to sympathize.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (01-29-2019)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Not to mention the infamous pine tar game in baseball.