Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jhonny Peralta Injured

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Jhonny Peralta Injured

Sounds like torn ligament in his thumb. Potential match for Aybar???
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Sounds like torn ligament in his thumb. Potential match for Aybar???
    That was my first thought as well. Aybar would be a nice fill in for Peralta but they'd have a problem once Peralta came back. Ayar wouldn't have spot and $6 million (amount not being covered by Angels) is a lot to pay for a backup SS. If this was mid-July you better believe they'd be calling about Aybar. I think it's more likely they try to limp by at the start of the season. Peralta should be back my the start of June at the latest.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    That was my first thought as well. Aybar would be a nice fill in for Peralta but they'd have a problem once Peralta came back. Ayar wouldn't have spot and $6 million (amount not being covered by Angels) is a lot to pay for a backup SS. If this was mid-July you better believe they'd be calling about Aybar. I think it's more likely they try to limp by at the start of the season. Peralta should be back my the start of June at the latest.
    Money might not be a problem.. just who they would have to give up IMO.. The Cubs and Pirates are improved and if they limp too much to start the season they will get buried. But I don't think they are going to give up a ton to get a three month rental.. If we could steal Bader from them, I would be happy..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Money might not be a problem.. just who they would have to give up IMO.. The Cubs and Pirates are improved and if they limp too much to start the season they will get buried. But I don't think they are going to give up a ton to get a three month rental.. If we could steal Bader from them, I would be happy..
    The question for the Cards would be how much better Aybar would be than Gyorko as a two month fill in? The difference probably isn't that great. If I'm the Cards I don't give up much for Aybar. If Peralta was gone for the year it might change things. But I don't give up much for a two month fill in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    I'm sure they'll be fine with making due with Gyorko until Peralta is back. This is the reason they have Gyorko. He's a pretty good backup.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    I'm sure they'll be fine with making due with Gyorko until Peralta is back. This is the reason they have Gyorko. He's a pretty good backup.
    Gyorko has played all of 26 games as a SS with a -2.6 UZR.

FWIW, David Cameron just tweeted...

"External options that I can see - 1. Erick Aybar, 2. See Option 1."
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

Knucksie (03-08-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Gyorko has played all of 26 games as a SS with a -2.6 UZR.

FWIW, David Cameron just tweeted...

"External options that I can see - 1. Erick Aybar, 2. See Option 1."

If the Braves trade Aybar, would that not send a message that they are not trying to compete this year? Coppy has said he wants to put the best team he can out there this year and that they are not 'tanking'.. Just saying.. But then I don't think you trade Heyward/Kimbrel/Simba and still worry about what the public thinks..

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    If the Braves trade Aybar, would that not send a message that they are not trying to compete this year? Coppy has said he wants to put the best team he can out there this year and that they are not 'tanking'.. Just saying.. But then I don't think you trade Heyward/Kimbrel/Simba and still worry about what the public thinks..
    Anyone who has interperated the message sent as "trying to compete" is delirious. We will likely be competing for the top draft pick once again

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (03-07-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Anyone who has interperated the message sent as "trying to compete" is delirious. We will likely be competing for the top draft pick once again
    Yes I know this.. just saying what Coppy has been saying..

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    He said the same thing last spring training, then he traded Kimbrel.

Coppy is smart. If there is a good offer, he would take it.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (03-07-2016), The Chosen One (03-07-2016)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Trading a player we have 1 year of control over for future help just follows "The Plan". Considering the team will likely look to lock up Swanson and Albies early, service time isn't likely going to be an issue. They could start the season with Castro (or even Beckham) and promote the kids as soon as they're ready (assuming one of them doesn't actually win the job during camp, of course).

I'd swap Aybar for Harrison Bader in a heartbeat.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Trading a player we have 1 year of control over for future help just follows "The Plan". Considering the team will likely look to lock up Swanson and Albies early, service time isn't likely going to be an issue. They could start the season with Castro (or even Beckham) and promote the kids as soon as they're ready (assuming one of them doesn't actually win the job during camp, of course).

I'd swap Aybar for Harrison Bader in a heartbeat.
    yeah.. not sure the Cards would though.. but you never know. according to MLB, they have 2 OF ranked ahead of Bader.. and with Piscotty and that CF I don't want to try and spell.. maybe they would..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,040 Posts
    I'd swap Aybar for a decent return in a heartbeat. We're not competing this year and could give the position to Castro to keep warm until Swanson or Albies is ready. Aybar is a luxury and we should be very open to dealing him. Still, I don't give up much if I'm the Cards.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Do they have another Shelby Miller we could get back?
    Get off my lawn!

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,477 Posts
    I'm going to be pretty mad if Aybar ends the season with us. No chance he gets a qualifying offer, so there's zero point in him ending the year on the roster with us. He's not very good, but if KJ/Uribe can at least get something of value, Aybar can, too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    I'm going to be pretty mad if Aybar ends the season with us. No chance he gets a qualifying offer, so there's zero point in him ending the year on the roster with us. He's not very good, but if KJ/Uribe can at least get something of value, Aybar can, too.
    I would give him a qualifying offer if he has a decent season. Worst case he accepts and either he's at short because Swanson isn't ready or you could trade him.
    thank you weso1!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    I would give him a qualifying offer if he has a decent season. Worst case he accepts and either he's at short because Swanson isn't ready or you could trade him.
    Depends on what the team's plan for off season spending is. If we plan on being extremely active on the FA market, then it may not make sense to risk being stuck with his contract.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Too risky imo. The ss market is very deep. There are a lot of good ones and several more just coming up or ready next year. I think e6 not being signed as a SS this year should tell us that the market for a FA SS with a QO attached is basically nill.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

clvclv (03-07-2016)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I thought that when we first got him, but think there's little chance Dansby or Albies isn't the starting SS when the new park opens. Way too big a gamble for my liking personally. Desmond will be back out there too. Who would need him???

A year from now, the few teams that could use a SS won't need one...

Gnats - Turner
    White Sox - Anderson
    Brewers - Arcia
    Phillies - Crawford
    Rockies - Story

None of those teams are giving up a 1st Rounder for Aybar.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts

He's as stupid as Hart is. Anyone in the organization who thinks the Braves are competing this season should be looking for a new job. If they wanted to compete they would have real major league players on the roster. Not the junk that makes up the team right now.