Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hector Olivera Arrested

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Good to see he is already convicted. We dont need any facts or reality coming out like that silly Duke case. We all know a woman would never lie about domestic abuse or rape. I think its ridiculous that he gets suspended before he has a chance to defend himself in court.
    Administrative leave is different than suspended. Organizations can and SHOULD remove people from the workplace so that things can get investigated.

Would you want a school to keep a teacher accused of sexual assault teaching?? Or should they put him on admin leave to gather facts and make a determination later?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    Good to see he is already convicted. We dont need any facts or reality coming out like that silly Duke case. We all know a woman would never lie about domestic abuse or rape. I think its ridiculous that he gets suspended before he has a chance to defend himself in court.
    He's on administrative leave right now and is still drawing a pay check. There's a good chance that a lot of us would find ourselves out of a job if we failed to show up for work one morning and it came out it was because we'd been arrested the night before on charges of domestic violence.

Also, I don't find it problematic in the least that baseball can punish a player before they're convicted. First, the players association was an active participant in crafting the domestic violence policy. This wasn't something shoved down their throats. They were part of creating the policy. More importantly, players are quick to remind you that this is an entertainment industry in justifying their massive contracts. As an entertainment industry, good will from the fans is the most valuable commodity there is for both owners and players. Having a policy like this allows baseball to quickly deal with domestic violence issues that might damage that good will benefiting players and owners alike. Baseball is so lucrative that players are more than willing subject themselves to policies like this in order to reap the rewards and to protect those rewards.

That being said, we do need to wait until the facts come out. It's okay to talk about what the Braves should do if he actually did what he's being accused of but it's too early to condemn him.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to striker42 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (04-13-2016), bravesnumberone (04-13-2016), chop2chip (04-13-2016), goldfly (04-13-2016), jpx7 (04-14-2016), UNCBlue012 (04-13-2016)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    ^^ Well said. ^^

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    He's on administrative leave right now and is still drawing a pay check. There's a good chance that a lot of us would find ourselves out of a job if we failed to show up for work one morning and it came out it was because we'd been arrested the night before on charges of domestic violence.

Also, I don't find it problematic in the least that baseball can punish a player before they're convicted. First, the players association was an active participant in crafting the domestic violence policy. This wasn't something shoved down their throats. They were part of creating the policy. More importantly, players are quick to remind you that this is an entertainment industry in justifying their massive contracts. As an entertainment industry, good will from the fans is the most valuable commodity there is for both owners and players. Having a policy like this allows baseball to quickly deal with domestic violence issues that might damage that good will benefiting players and owners alike. Baseball is so lucrative that players are more than willing subject themselves to policies like this in order to reap the rewards and to protect those rewards.

That being said, we do need to wait until the facts come out. It's okay to talk about what the Braves should do if he actually did what he's being accused of but it's too early to condemn him.
    the MLBPA is like, the strongest union in the world. if they agreed to something the league is allowed to do, it's likely not unfair to the player.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

JxnMissFan (04-13-2016)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,762 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Derek Lowe doesn't drink and drive. He just street races. Rafael Furcal, on the other hand . . .
    Now maybe the Diamondbacks can help us out yet again by having Tony LaRussa do it for us.
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    92 Posts
    Absolutely we should wait until he's been charged or convicted of any crime before passing judgment. I wasn't there so I can't say with certainty what happened and will wait longer before giving an opinion.

That being said from a strictly baseball standpoint, I hope the Braves use any loophole possible to get out from his contract and pay him nothing more. I didn't understand the logic in making the trade in the first place. With him struggling, getting out from all that money would be beneficial long-term for the club in my opinion.

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    the MLBPA is like, the strongest union in the world. if they agreed to something the league is allowed to do, it's likely not unfair to the player.
    Another good point. The MLBPA has billions of reasons not to be viewed as being objectively pro-domestic violence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts

That most of us would be out of a job just from allegations before having a chance to defend ourselves is why I was making a point of the issue. Like everyone here assumes, he is probably guilty but this is about protecting the percent that are innocent. We as a society have raised women to use false DV and rape claims as a weapon. Its all fun and games until your the victim of it. I dont care what the union was pressured into signing. We both know they would get hammered by the media if they didnt agree to something. What you dont hear is that rape and domestic violence commited by men is lower than it has ever been in American history. They call DV is an epidemic in the NFL yet the rated of DV by NFL players is lower than that of police officers. That players are being charged for it is a sign of progress while some ignorant people point to it as proof there is a problem. I really dont see a problem with a policy of "We will let the police investigate the charges and if a jury of his peers finds him guilty he will face sanctions from MLB, we believe in the due process and innocent until proven guilty". And I wont even go into the double standard for when female athletes get DV charges.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,739 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    They only care about the money. The issue I foresee down the line is a DV case right before the playoffs of a key player where he misses key playoff games over what turns out to be a false accusation. Much like what happened with the Duke Lacrosse team.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    We as a society have raised women to use false DV and rape claims as a weapon. Its all fun and games until your the victim of it.
    My guess is for every 1 false claim there are 99 real claims.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    This is a good point. He seems like a stand up guy and I've never seen him hit a baseball, much less a woman, in his time here.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Absolutely, women are capable of putting the frame on a guy and many have (with some even worse false accusations such as he molested our 4 year old etc) but when they have bruises, I am okay with presumption of guilt, if the cops make the arrest. I am not going to be on the jury. He will certainly have a chance to legally defend himself.

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    the trade that made no sense then and has seemed to not really be well thought out somehow got worse

awesome #barves
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalyn View Post
    Is there any way we can convince Derek Lowe to get drunk and run him over?
    We should get Jim Leyritz to do it instead (if he's out of jail). That bastard owes us a solid.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DirkPiggler For This Useful Post:

Dalyn (04-13-2016), mossy (04-13-2016), sc1767 (04-13-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    564 Posts
    What's his contract status with us and anyone thing there is some type of legal clause that would allow his contract to be voided?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsebe10 View Post
    What's his contract status with us and anyone thing there is some type of legal clause that would allow his contract to be voided?
    We owe him an average of $6.5 million a year from now through 2020. So we still owe him around $32.5 million. And I seriously doubt there's a morality provision in his contract. The players association frowns heavily on those.

The only way we're getting out of paying him is if he can't play. If he's suspended for life (not happening) or if he's deported (more likely than lifetime suspension but still very unlikely).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,706 Posts
    We owe him an average of $6.5 million a year from now through 2020. So we still owe him around $32.5 million. And I seriously doubt there's a morality provision in his contract. The players association frowns heavily on those.

The only way we're getting out of paying him is if he can't play. If he's suspended for life (not happening) or if he's deported (more likely than lifetime suspension but still very unlikely).
    I did not realize we owed him that much. Sort of bj part 2... Olivera just slower, worst defense, and less money

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,052 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    564 Posts

Gotcha. Goodness

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    I'm sure he's already posted that. lol