Page 23 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Thread: 116th Congress

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    But that money isn't created out of thin air.

The $3B available to be handed out here is after the city captures $30B in tax revenue.
    its not our of thin air...but i'm saying think of it as a thought experiment...one day de Blasio wakes up and some wealthy benefactor has given the city 3B to play with...what is the best use of that...i don't think giving it to Amazon is...i saw an estimate that the subsidy is over 40K per job that Amazon would have created...that seems pretty steep to me...not a good return on 3B
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    its not our of thin air...but i'm saying think of it as a thought experiment...one day de Blasio wakes up and some wealthy benefactor has given the city 3B to play with...what is the best use of that...i don't think giving it to Amazon is
    I mean, that has nothing to do with what we're talking about but I'd suggest they lower their tax rate in this scenario

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    There is no other company that is going to come in and generate what Amazon was going to generate for the city. It is what it is. They are one of the largest companies in the world. That 3B you are saying can still be reallocated elsewhere because of ALL THE ADDITIONAL TAX REVENUES AMAZON WOULD GENERATE!
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    its not our of thin air...but i'm saying think of it as a thought experiment...one day de Blasio wakes up and some wealthy benefactor has given the city 3B to play with...what is the best use of that...i don't think giving it to Amazon is...i saw an estimate that the subsidy is over 40K per job that Amazon would have created...that seems pretty steep to me...not a good return on 3B
    What does it matter how you splice the subsidy? What is the net gain to the city based on X amount of square footage? That is the most important factor in addition to the additional benefit to the local businesses that now have deeper pockets around to spend.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    Speaking of taxes... I found this interesting:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    Don't worry the right has it's own version of AOC

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

acesfull86 (02-16-2019)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Speaking of taxes... I found this interesting:

I'm shocked that 5 of the 10 highest populated states have some of the most people moving in and out of their state.

The reality is, because of how much more interconnected we are as a society and country, there's plenty of reasons to move and not have to stay in the state you were born in.

Denver is a hot spot to move to, even before marijuana was legalized. Austin is definitely a hot spot for millenials to wanna move to. Florida is always going to be a place people migrate to, that's been going on for decades. All the snowbirds from up north are coming south. Isn't Arizona just Chicago-lite while Florida has all the New York/New England retirees? Hilton Head is basically Little Cincinnati. The newspapers in Bluffton and Hilton Head regularly post Ohio news.

You're oversimplifying something, yet again. As this isn't to say taxes aren't a part of the discussion. They're part of the equation.

In 15 years, there will be more hot spots for millenials and post-generations after Millenials to wanna migrate to. Salt Lake City is already headed that way. So I guess that means Utah will be on that list too.
    Forever Fredi

9. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

goldfly (02-17-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Individual-1 View Post
    I'm shocked that 5 of the 10 highest populated states have some of the most people moving in and out of their state.

The reality is, because of how much more interconnected we are as a society and country, there's plenty of reasons to move and not have to stay in the state you were born in.

Denver is a hot spot to move to, even before marijuana was legalized. Austin is definitely a hot spot for millenials to wanna move to. Florida is always going to be a place people migrate to, that's been going on for decades. All the snowbirds from up north are coming south. Isn't Arizona just Chicago-lite while Florida has all the New York/New England retirees? Hilton Head is basically Little Cincinnati. The newspapers in Bluffton and Hilton Head regularly post Ohio news.

You're oversimplifying something, yet again. As this isn't to say taxes aren't a part of the discussion. They're part of the equation.

In 15 years, there will be more hot spots for millenials and post-generations after Millenials to wanna migrate to. Salt Lake City is already headed that way. So I guess that means Utah will be on that list too.
    I don't believe taxes are 100% of the equation... but I do believe they are big one.

My fiancee' and I are talking about places to move to now. We both make pretty good income (she whooping me due to her being a doctor). You better believe for every state we look at, taxes are a huge part of the calculus of the decision.

I find it interesting that of the top 5 losers, 4 of them are in the top 10 in tax burden. Of the top 5 winners, none are in the top 30. Taxes ain't everything, but I'd bet it's the biggest thing. If we aren't willing to look at this and make us ask ourselves what the numbers are saying, it's not going to change.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    I am curious which jobs qualify as dignified since obviously working for one of the greatest companies in the world wouldn't qualify

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    Wanted to post this Tyler Cowen take on Amazon and taxes. Was going to put it in the economics thread, but the discussion seems to be happening here:

https://marginalrevolution.com/margi...and-taxes.html

”The main reason Amazon as a corporate entity does not pay much in taxes is because the company so vigorously reinvests its profit. The resulting expensing provisions lower their tax liabilities, in some cases down to zero or near-zero. That is in fact the kind of incentive our tax system is supposed to create, and does so only imperfectly, noting that many economists have suggested moving to full expensing.

(NB: You can’t hate both share buybacks and profit reinvestment!)

Amazon pays plenty in terms of payroll taxes and also state and local taxes. Nor should you forget the taxes paid by Amazon’s employees on their wages. Not only is that direct revenue to various levels of government, but the incidence of those taxes falls somewhat on Amazon, which now must pay higher wages to offset the tax burden faced by their employees. Not everyone wants to live in NYC or Queens! (Do you agree with Paul Krugman’s charge that the Trump tax cuts are mainly a giveaway to capital? If so, you probably also should believe that the wage taxes paid by Amazon employees fall largely on capital.)

There is no $3 billion that NYC gets to keep if Amazon does not show up. That “money” was a pledged reduction in Amazon’s future tax burden at the state and local level.

When it comes to the discussion surrounding Amazon and taxes, I can only sigh…”
    Last edited by acesfull86; 02-19-2019 at 02:13 PM.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    Wanted to post this Tyler Cowen take on Amazon and taxes. Was going to put it in the economics thread, but the discussion seems to be happening here:

https://marginalrevolution.com/margi...and-taxes.html

The main reason Amazon as a corporate entity does not pay much in taxes is because the company so vigorously reinvests its profit. The resulting expensing provisions lower their tax liabilities, in some cases down to zero or near-zero. That is in fact the kind of incentive our tax system is supposed to create, and does so only imperfectly, noting that many economists have suggested moving to full expensing.

(NB: You can’t hate both share buybacks and profit reinvestment!)

Amazon pays plenty in terms of payroll taxes and also state and local taxes. Nor should you forget the taxes paid by Amazon’s employees on their wages. Not only is that direct revenue to various levels of government, but the incidence of those taxes falls somewhat on Amazon, which now must pay higher wages to offset the tax burden faced by their employees. Not everyone wants to live in NYC or Queens! (Do you agree with Paul Krugman’s charge that the Trump tax cuts are mainly a giveaway to capital? If so, you probably also should believe that the wage taxes paid by Amazon employees fall largely on capital.)

There is no $3 billion that NYC gets to keep if Amazon does not show up. That “money” was a pledged reduction in Amazon’s future tax burden at the state and local level.

When it comes to the discussion surrounding Amazon and taxes, I can only sigh…
    But the problem is there are likely no net jobs created. Jobs move from one employer to another. Maybe they are better jobs and maybe they aren't. You're correct that there is no pot of $3 billion just sitting there to be expended immediately, but there is a lifetime cost to the project where the $3 billion would be expended over time.

My problem with projects like Amazon's is that they simply pit one municipality/region against another where the governmental unit or units with the greatest resources put more distance between themselves and lesser competitors. It's a contributor to why we've seen so much of the rural Midwest empty out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    Some actual reporting... Feels weird

if my thought dreams could be seen goldfly's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,262 Posts
    how will NYC ever survive without Amazon. lol
    "For there is always light, if only we are brave enough to see it. If only we are brave enough to be it." Amanda Gorman

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    https://www.stltoday.com/news/conser...4e0d58f9d.html
    Forever Fredi

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Individual-1 View Post
    You should read my last post

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    You should read my last post
    WE ARE OBSESSED!

Dont pay attention to her stupidity or corruption. How dare you!
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    Also the dumbest