Results 9,441 to 9,460 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Sure. There is risk in every guaranteed contract. That said if you look at every big contract signed for players in their mid 20s it usually turns out good for the team. It's those post 30 deals that have stopped and for good reason.
    But...he literally has already turned down a ten year $300 million deal. I think that’s about right and he is still asking for more. That’s the point I was making. It gets to the point where the money is so crazy for so many years, it is so much risk.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Not sure how you embed tweets on here, but cool AA interview, lot of interesting things he said. Almost traded for Donaldson last year among other things.

Link here: https://twitter.com/680TheFan/status...56229650550785

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Not sure how you embed tweets on here, but cool AA interview, lot of interesting things he said. Almost traded for Donaldson last year among other things.

Link here: https://twitter.com/680TheFan/status...56229650550785
    Last edited by Acuña’s Bat Flip; 02-18-2019 at 06:03 PM.
    FKA Ozzie's Chainz

Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Got to take the L sometimes.

I've been used to it over the years.
    Braves / Panthers / Lakers / Hornets / Clemson / Duke Basketball

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie's Chainz View Post
    Smh if we're at 120 then were done play ball welcome to 3rd maybe 4th place!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay212033 View Post
    Smh if we're at 120 then were done play ball welcome to 3rd maybe 4th place!
    We are all very capable of adding up the contracts on the roster.

The Braves opening day payroll for 2019 is under $115M. No matter how AA wants to squirm. It is a trivial increase from 2018. Period.

That $120M figure is likely close to the 2019 full year projected payroll for the entire 40 man roster.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,487 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    We are all very capable of adding up the contracts on the roster.

The Braves opening day payroll for 2019 is under $115M. No matter how AA wants to squirm. It is a trivial increase from 2018. Period.

That $120M figure is likely close to the 2019 full year projected payroll for the entire 40 man roster.
    If we are at $120m already then there are no more moves to expect...

Honestly, at this point, it is more likely we shed payroll by being sellers at the deadline than actually adding to the team. And that is unfortunate
    Get off my lawn!

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    599 Posts
    We’re not gonna be sellers at the deadline... good Lord.
    This team is a serious contender as constructed. If we are there at the deadline- and we will be- AA is going to be a lot more comfortable in a trade situation. He/we will know a lot more about the kids.
    I like AA not trading any of them yet. We don’t want to accidentally trade Avery/Glavine/Smoltz etc.....

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hulavol For This Useful Post:

buck75 (02-18-2019), TheRunningAgent (02-19-2019)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Jesus can we get out of the 90’s. Maybe we trade away BLair, Wisler or sims before they become like Allard is. And I am fine not trading Soroka. Or touki. Or Anderson. Or even wright. But we could have had Paxton for less than those guys. We could have signed Brantley with all this money DD touts on. Jesus. We could have signed one experienced reliever for a few million to help anchor the pen. Instead the master plan will be to wait for the deadline to fill the needs we knew we had this off season. Brilliant.
    Coppy

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Jesus can we get out of the 90’s. Maybe we trade away BLair, Wisler or sims before they become like Allard is. And I am fine not trading Soroka. Or touki. Or Anderson. Or even wright. But we could have had Paxton for less than those guys. We could have signed Brantley with all this money DD touts on. Jesus. We could have signed one experienced reliever for a few million to help anchor the pen. Instead the master plan will be to wait for the deadline to fill the needs we knew we had this off season. Brilliant.
    Blair, Wisler and Sims are already gone.

So are you suggesting that Blair, Wisler and Sims would have gotten Paxton?

Which few million dollar reliever would have anchored the pen?

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    My take on the 680 interview is we can expect AA to be conservative signing FA’s and not trade prospects to win now. I think he had some regrets about the win now moves he made with the Jays. The Hallady, Dicky, Price, Tulo etc. moves to win now really hurt the Jays long term.
    I think he is sincere when he says he will not spend to for the sake of spending.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JxnMissFan View Post
    Blair, Wisler and Sims are already gone.

So are you suggesting that Blair, Wisler and Sims would have gotten Paxton?

Which few million dollar reliever would have anchored the pen?
    No. I am saying back when Blair. Wisler and Sims were in the top 100 hell the top 50. They could have. I am saying we have to stop thinking every pitching prospect is a hall of famer.

Look at what the relievers are going for. Would you rather have Romo for a few million or Freeman for a few million
    Coppy

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts
    No. I am saying back when Blair. Wisler and Sims were in the top 100 hell the top 50. They could have. I am saying we have to stop thinking every pitching prospect is a hall of famer.

Look at what the relievers are going for. Would you rather have Romo for a few million or Freeman for a few million
    Romo is getting old. Who has the better year between Romo and Freeman is a flip coin. Who knows? When you are shopping on the Romo Freeman price range shelf you are just buying lottery tickets hoping you get a win.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts

I get what you are saying...we have a buttload of pitching and need to move some.

In saying that...comparing Blair, Wisler and Sims to say Soroka, Touki and Gohora is laughable. That’s a whole other level of stuff.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    I get what you are saying...we have a buttload of pitching and need to move some.

In saying that...comparing Blair, Wisler and Sims to say Soroka, Touki and Gohora is laughable. That’s a whole other level of stuff.
    You sure about that?

Blair was #40 according to BA, and #43 according to BP.

Wisler was as high as #34 according to BA.

Sims peaked at #40.

They were all very highly regarded, much like many of the current prospects

What’s laughable is claiming these prospects are different for no other reason than you follow prospects more closely now than you did back then.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 02-19-2019 at 03:14 AM.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    You sure about that?

Blair was #40 according to BA, and #43 according to BP.

Wisler was as high as #34 according to BA.

Sims peaked at #40.

They were all very highly regarded, much like many of the current prospects

What’s laughable is claiming these prospects are different for no other reason than you follow prospects more closely now than you did back then.
    I undstand they were “rated” high. My point is that none of those guys had the pure stuff of our current guys. I never understood why Blair was rated so high. Was Sims really that high (I cant remember)?...if so...I never expected much of him either.

I will say I had hopes for Wisler for a minute. He was a head case.

Are you really saying the stuff Gohora, Soroka and Touki are the same as Blair and Sims, etc.?

I know pitchers fail. Heck, all these new guys could. Either way they would be failing with a good bit more talent. That’s my point. They have a better chance, because they are more gifted. I really don’t care what they are “ranked”. Folty and Newk are good examples. They had...by far...the most talent of that crop of pitchers...and look who is left standing. Even though the jury is still out on Newk. I feel these new guys are on a different level. They were definitely higher picks (outside of Sims...which I’ll never understand).

Spring Training Invitee TheRunningAgent's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    If we go by the “eye test,” we know that Soroka, Touki and Gohara is better than those guys. We don’t know how Soroka will be after the injury but we will know during ST.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    I agree that this batch should be on a different playing field in talent than the W-B-S of the worlds. But at one point they had value. At one point we didn’t want to trade Sims because he was our best pitching prospect. I have already said that I am glad we didn’t trade a bunch away to get JTR or trade more than we should have to get Paxton or whoever. But I hope DD isn’t trading guys because he is afraid he is trading Noah again. Holding a guy because he might hit his top 5% is silly.
    Coppy

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I think the biggest problem is the lack of parity in MLB. The large market teams outspend the small market teams to such an extent that it's ridiculous. This requires small market teams to frequently rebuild and shoot for windows when they have quality players that are cheap. It's the only way for them to compete with teams with payrolls two to three times larger.

So at any given time you have a third to half of major league teams rebuilding and who it would make no sense for them to sign a big time player. Of the teams that are competing, half of them still don't have the payroll space for a massive contract.

Then, of the teams that have the money, you have to have a team with a need. Why would a team with an all star closer sign Kimbrel?

It's hard to get a bidding war going to get top dollar when you have so few legitimate suitors.

Ultimately baseball has to find a way get more parity in the league. More teams competing will mean more teams willing to spend money for free agents. I only see this happening if baseball somehow figures out a way to limit the disparity in payrolls between teams.
    This is the real issue. These guys all want contracts like what the big market teams give out. The problem is that there are only so many of those types of teams and if they don't have a hole at your position, you're not getting that contract.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    But...he literally has already turned down a ten year $300 million deal. I think that’s about right and he is still asking for more. That’s the point I was making. It gets to the point where the money is so crazy for so many years, it is so much risk.
    Is 30 million a year enough for the likes of Harper or Machado? Normally I would say no. We'll see what the market ends up being for them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Is 30 million a year enough for the likes of Harper or Machado? Normally I would say no. We'll see what the market ends up being for them.
    I'm sure there's a bunch of teams willing to pay 30 million a year. Are machado or Harper worth that much for 10 years? I say no