Thread: Baseball America Braves Top 10

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atl717 View Post
    Allard's stock is dropping.
    These lists are becoming like those power rankings that fluctuate every time the wind blows. In it for the long haul.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millwood1Hitter View Post
    Doesn't matter, he will be the best starter for the Braves once he reaches the majors and gets some seasoning under his belt.
    We've missed the droll troll! Welcome back!

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/minor...F2HcWK33jxQ.97

1. RONALD ACUNA, OF
    2. LUIZ GOHARA, LHP
    3. MIKE SOROKA, RHP
    4. KYLE WRIGHT, RHP
    5. IAN ANDERSON, RHP
    6. AUSTIN RILEY, 3B
    7. KOLBY ALLARD, LHP
    8. MAX FRIED, LHP
    9. KEVIN MAITAN, SS
    10. CRISTIAN PACHE, OF
    You know it's a strong list when neither Wentz nor Wilson can crack it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-23-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    This

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    There it is!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,731 Posts
    Allard's stock down because fastball wasn't as dominant as it used to be. He did show plus command and changeup so if he ever gets that fastball back he could be something special.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    It's shocking because this is the outlier in Braves system rankings. No one else has him this high.

The strike outs are high, there are still bat speed questions and plenty of concerns about whether or not he can even stick at third. Maybe it all gets fixed, and he's certainly an interesting prospect, but saying that it shouldn't be shocking that he's #6 is just off base.
    Kinda helpful to be a subscriber - when you read the report instead of quoting what you read a year ago, you find that that's apparently not the case. Only because people continue making that statement...

"Riley has embraced the Braves' focus on improving his nutritional habits. He appears slimmer, stronger and quicker than he was when drafted. He also has shortened his swing and improved his bat speed, helping him to more consistently get to his plus power potential and alleviating concerns about his now average hit tool. Riley's biggest improvement has come defensively. He has alleviated fears he would need to move to first base and is now an above-average third baseman. His plus-plus arm is still his calling card, but he also improved his first-step quickness."
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clvclv For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (10-23-2017), Super (10-23-2017)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Kinda helpful to be a subscriber - when you read the report instead of quoting what you read a year ago, you find that that's apparently not the case. Only because people continue making that statement...

"Riley has embraced the Braves' focus on improving his nutritional habits. He appears slimmer, stronger and quicker than he was when drafted. He also has shortened his swing and improved his bat speed, helping him to more consistently get to his plus power potential and alleviating concerns about his now average hit tool. Riley's biggest improvement has come defensively. He has alleviated fears he would need to move to first base and is now an above-average third baseman. His plus-plus arm is still his calling card, but he also improved his first-step quickness."
    Good effort to assume I'm quoting stuff from a year ago, but Keith Law actually said it 10 days ago after watching Riley in the AFL: http://meadowparty.com/blog/2017/10/13/klawchat-101317/

Greg: What’s your view on Austin Riley?
    Keith Law: Same problem as before – doesn’t have the bat speed to get around on good velocity. Homered on a breaking ball yesterday, was behind two fastballs he put in play.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Good effort to assume I'm quoting stuff from a year ago, but Keith Law actually said it 10 days ago after watching Riley in the AFL: http://meadowparty.com/blog/2017/10/13/klawchat-101317/

Keith Law: Same problem as before – doesn’t have the bat speed to get around on good velocity. Homered on a breaking ball yesterday, was behind two fastballs he put in play.
    I wouldn't argue with a columnist/editor at an influential Braves blog. Clv is the foremost thinker when it comes to the Braves.

His Sale for Jenkins trade proposal is the stuff of legend. He also thinks the Braves can get Odorizzi for Matt Adams, which is either groundbreakingly genius, or complete ignorance about player value...I'm leaning towards genius.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 10-23-2017 at 02:30 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts

AFAIK Law is the only one who has said this about his bat speed. Other people obviously don't see it as a problem.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    AFAIK Law is the only one who has said this about his bat speed. Other people obviously don't see it as a problem.
    Longenhagen recently said he is 1b only, and likely doesn't have the bat to carry him there. This "above average 3b" talk is coming strictly from BA.

Riley is undoubtedly a hitter worth keeping an eye on, but he isn't the Braves 6th best prospect.

Although, this does play into my "sell high" opinion of him right now.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Law watched three ABs. He's the flavor of the day for some prospect-hounds, but I prefer sources who actually have eyes on the players more often and speak to more people who actually watch the players play.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Law watched three ABs. He's the flavor of the day for some prospect-hounds, but I prefer sources who actually have eyes on the players more often and speak to more people who actually watch the players play.
    You think Law's opinion comes exclusively from seeing three Riley at bats in the Arizona Fall League? I know people have differing opinions on Law, but of course he's talking to other scouts across the country, too. Come on.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    You think Law's opinion comes exclusively from seeing three Riley at bats in the Arizona Fall League? I know people have differing opinions on Law, but of course he's talking to other scouts across the country, too. Come on.
    I have my doubts on Riley.. K rate is too high for my liking. but you don't think that when he is talking to other scouts he leans to the ones that agree to his perception. That is just human nature.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Longenhagen recently said he is 1b only, and likely doesn't have the bat to carry him there. This "above average 3b" talk is coming strictly from BA.

Riley is undoubtedly a hitter worth keeping an eye on, but he isn't the Braves 6th best prospect.

Although, this does play into my "sell high" opinion of him right now.
    I think the only conclusion we can draw from these mixed reports is that there is likely a mixed perception of Riley amongst teams.

That means that there is an excellent opportunity to cash in on a team that values him more than we do (if one exists). To Coppy's credit, he was always very good with this sort of thing in minor league trades. Hopefully, this is more of a positive reflection of our scouting department rather than innate skill Coppy possessed.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (10-23-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Me too, which is why I put most stock into the guy who watches more prep and minor league talent in a single day than the BA guys watch in a whole month.

From 10/17:

Logan: Has Austin Riley done anything in Arizona to enhance your opinion of him?
    12:10
    Eric A Longenhagen: He looks more loose and fluid than he has in the past but hasn’t moved the needle all that much.

Where was the needle?

"He has plus raw power (at least) and has improved his body composition since high school (when he was a heavy 230). But at just 19, with some general stiffness to his actions, Riley is pretty likely to kick over to first base as he matures."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I have my doubts on Riley.. K rate is too high for my liking. but you don't think that when he is talking to other scouts he leans to the ones that agree to his perception. That is just human nature.
    Couldn't that be argued of every prospect writer then?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,364 Posts
    Couldn't that be argued of every prospect writer then?
    yes. good or bad.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I'm fine with anyone sleeping on Allard. He's our best pitching prospect after Gohara.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Alex Jackson should have been on this list as well. If he didn't get injured he would be easily a top 100 prospect.