Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pitching core, the youngsters

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    in that Giants game, you saw him become physically frustrated out on the mound to the point where he was just throwing the ball...our coaching staff should have gotten him out of the game as soon as that happened. in this last game, he had the opportunity to do that. once we got the lead and he had been sitting on the mound, he came out and immediately walked the first batter...not a hernandez fan by any stretch, but he had a great mound visit that inning. got the ground ball force out at 2b, pick off at 1b, then got out of the inning..

Folty did a great job of managing his emotions there....if he can harness those emotions and put that into his pitching, we will get more performances like we saw last night and he will quickly become one of the top pitchers in baseball
    You nailed it.

AT some point he just didn't care. He was getting squeezed and his out pitches were getting hammered, he like had a eff it mentality and just threw.

Last night he got frustrated a few times but you can see a grin come up after he meditated for a few seconds and then brought it. The walk was because he sat so long and he didn't had the feel and when his adrenaline came back on line, lights out. You don't throw near 100 miles an hour the last inning and I believe him when he said he could go another inning.

Maybe his figuring out, he put away two dangerous teams like it was nothing. He need to do this all the time and maybe be 75% of Smoltz who I think was similar.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AerchAngel For This Useful Post:

bravesfanforlife88 (06-02-2018), Freshmaker (06-02-2018), jpx7 (06-02-2018)

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Another thing, he was throwing low 90's and using his off speed pitches a lot the first part of the game, like establishing a pattern and I think by the 5th, constant 97 to 99 with the nastiest slider I've seen from a Braves pitcher in a long while, Scherzer/Strasburg type, I was like WTF, where did he learn to harnest that pitch? It was game over then. He is thinking. Yo Folty keep thinking and not throwing, you will be alright.

The two pitches he K'd Harper on, I can't get out of my mind, the first was really really really nasty the second had him offstride he could not do anything with it.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    You nailed it.

AT some point he just didn't care. He was getting squeezed and his out pitches were getting hammered, he like had a eff it mentality and just threw.

Last night he got frustrated a few times but you can see a grin come up after he meditated for a few seconds and then brought it. The walk was because he sat so long and he didn't had the feel and when his adrenaline came back on line, lights out. You don't throw near 100 miles an hour the last inning and I believe him when he said he could go another inning.

Maybe his figuring out, he put away two dangerous teams like it was nothing. He need to do this all the time and maybe be 75% of Smoltz who I think was similar.
    Definitely exciting to watch...personally im interested to see what we do as a team next week against the Padres...we have to take advantage of that team...our problem is that with the teams we should beat, we seem to not show up with the same intensity....like losing to the Reds, the Marlins, etc.
    Get off my lawn!

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanforlife88 View Post
    Definitely exciting to watch...personally im interested to see what we do as a team next week against the Padres...we have to take advantage of that team...our problem is that with the teams we should beat, we seem to not show up with the same intensity....like losing to the Reds, the Marlins, etc.
    We're 5-2 vs the Marlins.

Should have won 3/4 vs the Reds though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Folty's had a good slider for a while. I think his stuff last night obviously was better than usual. But the pitch sequencing was different. More breaking balls for strike one. That was obviously the game plan. Of course if he keeps doing this it will show up in the scouting reports. The idea is to keep changing things up and avoid falling into a repetitive pattern.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (06-02-2018), jpx7 (06-02-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,493 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Folty's had a good slider for a while. I think his stuff last night obviously was better than usual. But the pitch sequencing was different. More breaking balls for strike one. That was obviously the game plan. Of course if he keeps doing this it will show up in the scouting reports. The idea is to keep changing things up and avoid falling into a repetitive pattern.
    Getting strike one has been an issue for both him and Newk....with him able to control all of his pitches yesterday, hopefully this is a sign he is taking the next step forward. For Newk, that change up has been a game changer this season.
    Get off my lawn!

Brian Jordan's New BFF JohnAdcox's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    459 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    name someone Freddie doesn't give a hug to?
    John Adcox.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnAdcox For This Useful Post:

GovClintonTyree (06-02-2018), thewupk (06-02-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,513 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnAdcox View Post
    John Adcox.
    It’s aight. You got BJ.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-11-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyYoung31 View Post
    It’s aight. You got BJ.
    That can be taken a couple different ways.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-11-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,989 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    That can be taken a couple different ways.
    It's always been my understanding it can only be taken one way. Unless they're doing something different these days.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (06-11-2018)