Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: GDT Sun 7/29, Dodgers

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Can anyone find a video of Chipper’s full HOF speech?

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    the digging up of old tweets is getting ridiculous

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    It’s not a good thing of course, but this new social media reality that kids grow up in is crazy.

It’s crazy someone will dig back thru TEN years of tweets, to find two or three dumb statements.

Kids say stupid things and do stupid things.

Now it he tweeted that in his twenties...yeah.

Some of these people need to get a life digging up something a dumb 17-18 year old tweeted. Many times the context to what the tweet was even about is lost and makes them sound even worse. It could be a bad joke, it could be one of twenty different things.
    my view is learning is not restricted to age...an 80 year old can learn as much from his mistakes as an 8 year old

now there is a risk of harm from unmasking things that happened years ago...but with respect to what happened with Newcomb I think it is more likely that something good will come out of it
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Newcomb is latest casualty of the new PC culture

What’s the worst part of this story is that ultimately Newcomb is the only real victim and he’s the one that used idiotic, hurtful language.

Luckily the casts majority of society understands how moronic these stories are so at least in this case it’s a minor slap on the wrist that will be quickly forgotten

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    my view is learning is not restricted to age...an 80 year old can learn as much from his mistakes as an 8 year old

now there is a risk of harm from unmasking things that happened years ago...but with respect to what happened with Newcomb I think it is more likely that something good will come out of it
    I think it’s ultimately a good thing that kids learn that online decorum matters and that there are real societal consequences. I simply question the merit of the the tactics.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Trade Newcomb now! His value will never be higher!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    What’s the worst part of this story is that ultimately Newcomb is the only real victim and he’s the one that used idiotic, hurtful language.

Luckily the casts majority of society understands how moronic these stories are so at least in this case it’s a minor slap on the wrist that will be quickly forgotten
    I don't see Newcomb as a victim here...I think he and others are more likely to benefit from some reflection...we all do thing that are regretable... it is worse if we never reflect on those things

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    I think it’s ultimately a good thing that kids learn that online decorum matters and that there are real societal consequences. I simply question the merit of the the tactics.
    sure...but I wouldn't paint Newcomb as a casualty or victim...imo he handled it well by apologizing and learned something in the process...maybe when he has children this will help make him a better parent...a life lesson he can pass on to his kids
    Last edited by nsacpi; 07-29-2018 at 07:17 PM.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    I'm lucky social media wasn't a thing when I was a teenager. I hate to think that could be dragged up if half the crap I said was immortalized online. I don't think there's a person alive who could defend everything they said at that age.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,288 Posts
    I don't see Newcomb as a victim here...I think he and others are more likely to benefit from some reflection...we all do thing that are regretable... it is worse if we never reflect on those things
    Whether you and I view him as one is irrelevant. Many people will. How else would you explain the Hader standing ovation? Very few, if any at all, were cheering him for his racist tweets.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    I'm lucky social media wasn't a thing when I was a teenager. I hate to think that could be dragged up if half the crap I said was immortalized online. I don't think there's a person alive who could defend everything they said at that age.
    I think most of us can exercise some common sense when things like this happen...I never had an opinion about what kind of person Newcomb is and I still dont... if anything the way he handled it makes a good impression on me

"I am your retribution."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Super (07-30-2018)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts

Yeah sure, but the thing that gets on my nerves, is now anyone that does something noteworthy....there is a moron that will sit and dig thru years of tweets. This is just to take away from what that person did.

It really doesn’t have as much to do with what he said back then, but much more...what he did today. Those tweets have set there for ten years and no one paid attention.

There are literally people that look for anyone doing something great and only then....they begin digging thru their tweets. Just to find dirt and ruin their big day.

The fact that Newk hadn’t removed the tweets proved he had forgotten about the fact the ever existed....or was drunk as a skunk when he tweeted them.
    Last edited by TheBravos; 07-29-2018 at 07:24 PM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,288 Posts
    sure...but I wouldn't paint Newcomb as a casualty or victim...imo he handled it well by apologizing and learned something in the process...maybe when he has children this will help make him a better parent...a life lesson he can pass on to his kids
    If we had technology that allowed us to retroactively view how many times you went over the speed limit and we as a society issued you a citation for speeding, you would learn a lesson about the consequences of speeding. Would you support an initiative like that? IMO, this the exact same thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Yeah sure, but the thing that gets on my nerves, is now anyone that does something noteworthy....there is a moron that will sit and dig thru years of tweets. This is just to take away from what that person did.

It really doesn’t have as much to do with what he said back then, but much more...what he did today. Those tweets have set there for ten years and no one paid attention.

There are literally people that look for anyone doing something great and only then....they begin digging their tweets. Just to find dirt and ruin their big day.

The fact that Newk hadn’t removed the tweets proved he had forgotten about the fact the ever existed....or was drunk and a skunk when he tweeted them.
    I dunno...public shaming can have useful purposes and I'm ok with a spotlight being shined on the use of a small number of words

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    If we had technology that allowed us to retroactively view how many times you went over the speed limit and we as a society issued you a citation for speeding, you would learn a lesson about the consequences of speeding. Would you support an initiative like that? IMO, this the exact same thing.
    I'm against public shaming for driving too fast

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,288 Posts
    I'm against public shaming for driving too fast
    But why? People die in car accidents caused by speeding drivers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    I think most of us can exercise some common sense when things like this happen...I never had an opinion about what kind of person Newcomb is and I still dont... if anything the way he handled it makes a good impression on me
    I'm with you in that I have no idea what kind of person he is and still don't. I find the idea of making a determination of what kind of person someone is based on a few isolated online statements from when he was 18 is kind of ridiculous. It's something only an idiot would do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    But why? People die in car accidents caused by speeding drivers.
    I do see a difference...and I think most people do too

"I am your retribution."

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,781 Posts
    The reality is nobody knew about this nor was hurt or offended by the tweets until some loser decided to go search for something to get offended by.

Now it's a national story and he's probably gonna have to do some stupid **** like sensitivity training for something he said as a teenager.

And bc of that it will encourage the same behavior of retroactive outrage

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    This just infuriates me. The guy just pitched a 1 hitter and some loser digs up old tweets from high school and that’s the news story. We need to make sure he knows this city appreciates him and is behind him regardless of what the pot stirrers come up with.