Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 1885

Thread: Political Correctness

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    You don't have that same standard to white people who you've deemed racist, do you?
    Not sure how that parallels here. I’m willing to consider context and circumstances. But I, er, mostly don’t feel empathetic for reasons that should be fairly obvious. What I do feel empathy for is someone who can attempt to engage in reflection and self-criticism if they’re called out, instead of just playing I’m Rubber, You’re Glue. That’s not because I’m a particularly virtuous person, but because I’ve at least undergone enough personal growth to act on
    the lowest-common-denominator of decency on occasion.

I am just not capable of understanding a worldview that could look at our society, with its historical and contemporary inequities, and determine that the problem worth burning processing power on is their angst over white people getting the piss taken out of them occasionally.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Why do you assume my race and my gender?

Very regressive
    ever the victim
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    I am literally living this right now where a woman cannot objectively manage men bc of her pejudice.
    Just a shot in the dark, but did you inform your supervisor that women are in fact compensated at 79% of men.
    One more guess - she wasn't impressed with your "data"

?

oh Grasshopper
    Last edited by 57Brave; 08-08-2018 at 07:13 AM.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Not sure how that parallels here. I’m willing to consider context and circumstances. But I, er, mostly don’t feel empathetic for reasons that should be fairly obvious. What I do feel empathy for is someone who can attempt to engage in reflection and self-criticism if they’re called out, instead of just playing I’m Rubber, You’re Glue. That’s not because I’m a particularly virtuous person, but because I’ve at least undergone enough personal growth to act on
    the lowest-common-denominator of decency on occasion.

I am just not capable of understanding a worldview that could look at our society, with its historical and contemporary inequities, and determine that the problem worth burning processing power on is their angst over white people getting the piss taken out of them occasionally.
    So it all boils down to you being fine with racist speech as long as the target is white people.

I'm ready to move on from this discussion. I can't fathom why people are not only accepting, but defending blatant racist speech.

But there's a lot I don't understand about the left these days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    An article worth reading, in my opinion

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/...mpression=true

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    I really think he needs to look again at California’s (Democratic) congressional delegation before stating that white men still largely hold the levers of power in that state.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Lol can't make this stuff up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    My crazy mother in law believes the same conspiracy theories that Alex Jones peddles in, including the Sandy Hook stuff. I feel like the recent happenings have given me precedent to deplatform her from my house.
    thank you weso1!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Yet another young actor felt the need to apologize for the high crime of being a political conservative

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    https://www.powerlineblog.com/archiv...university.php

Two weeks ago Professor Lisa Littman of Brown University’s department of behaviorial and social sciences published an article on PLoS One, a well-regarded, peer-reviewed online scientific journal, with the title “Rapid-onset gender dysphoria in adolescents and young adults: A study of parental reports.” Before proceeding, know that Prof. Littman is not tenured at Brown.

I’ll post immediately below the abstract and conclusion (and the whole study is available—no paywall or subscription requirement if you want to look at the whole thing), but I’ll reduce the main finding of this study to one sentence: evidence suggests that the recent sharp rise in the number of young adolescents declaring themselves to be transgender appears to be correlated with peer group enthusiasm along with intense social media activity. To be blunt, it is a fad, like eating Tide pods.
    Brown University’s public relations department sent out a press release promoting the article for the sensible reason that a PLoS One is a serious journal. They obviously didn’t recognize that Prof. Littman had stepped on the academic equivalent of a third rail: touch this subject and you die, because it threatens to undermine the “authenticity” of gender identity politics, though there is considerable incoherence about this whole matter, since “gender” is said to be arbitrary and up to you to determine for yourself.
    Prof. Littman is merely saying that there appears to be a social component to the trend that may be unrelated to underlying, inherent biological or psychological realities. In other words, in some cases, transgender identity is indeed “socially constructed,” which makes you wonder why someone should object to her article, since “social construction” is all the rage for the postmodern left.

But object they did, of course. The predictable thing has happened: following an angry response from the “transgender community,” Brown University has withdrawn their press release and issued an abject apology for transgressing transgender orthodoxy. PLoS One is also going to conduct a post-publication review of the article (even though it went through their peer review process) because of the avalanche of protests it has received.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    https://www.powerlineblog.com/archiv...university.php

Two weeks ago Professor Lisa Littman of Brown University’s department of behaviorial and social sciences published an article on PLoS One, a well-regarded, peer-reviewed online scientific journal, with the title “Rapid-onset gender dysphoria in adolescents and young adults: A study of parental reports.” Before proceeding, know that Prof. Littman is not tenured at Brown.

I’ll post immediately below the abstract and conclusion (and the whole study is available—no paywall or subscription requirement if you want to look at the whole thing), but I’ll reduce the main finding of this study to one sentence: evidence suggests that the recent sharp rise in the number of young adolescents declaring themselves to be transgender appears to be correlated with peer group enthusiasm along with intense social media activity. To be blunt, it is a fad, like eating Tide pods.
    Brown University’s public relations department sent out a press release promoting the article for the sensible reason that a PLoS One is a serious journal. They obviously didn’t recognize that Prof. Littman had stepped on the academic equivalent of a third rail: touch this subject and you die, because it threatens to undermine the “authenticity” of gender identity politics, though there is considerable incoherence about this whole matter, since “gender” is said to be arbitrary and up to you to determine for yourself.
    Prof. Littman is merely saying that there appears to be a social component to the trend that may be unrelated to underlying, inherent biological or psychological realities. In other words, in some cases, transgender identity is indeed “socially constructed,” which makes you wonder why someone should object to her article, since “social construction” is all the rage for the postmodern left.

But object they did, of course. The predictable thing has happened: following an angry response from the “transgender community,” Brown University has withdrawn their press release and issued an abject apology for transgressing transgender orthodoxy. PLoS One is also going to conduct a post-publication review of the article (even though it went through their peer review process) because of the avalanche of protests it has received.
    It's been clear for a while that thoughts and ideas that aren't approved by the leftist mob will be silenced

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    New Yorker cancels Bannon interview after the mob demands he be silenced

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Bannon silenced?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Obviously

NL Rookie of the Year Acuña’s Bat Flip's Avatar
    Gaffney, South Carolina (Home of the Big Butt "Peach" on I-85)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    I won't be buying anything from Nike after the Kap add.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie's Chainz View Post
    Anxious to see what happens to it’s Stock tomorrow. I expect a big tumble.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Here's something politically incorrect:

I find Meghan McCain unbearably obnoxious on a good day. Fatherly love and uncontrollable despair aside, I thought her funeral performance was lacking. If she really wanted to stick a dagger in Trump, and I'm sure she did, her aim was off. Shrill, emotional people are less convincing. Her tone sounded as petty as Trump's tweeting voice. I expected more self-control and grace from the daughter of a war hero and longtime politician, not to mention a better speech from a now experienced TV person. Did America really need to hear that John McCain equaled American "greatness" from her? She would've been so much more effective with an understated, less direct approach and a more humble speech, leaving the political commentary for the ex-Presidents. Not saying that women shouldn't talk politics, but when they do they should do it without the cringe worthy sniveling. But that's politically incorrect and I'd never say it in public.

This has nothing to do with a daughter's right to say whatever she damn well pleases at her father's funeral, political theater or not. But it was theater, choreographed by her father for a specific effect and her tone was way off.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

Jaw (09-04-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Anxious to see what happens to it’s Stock tomorrow. I expect a big tumble.
    I'll bet they did plenty of research on public reaction before they made and aired the ad.
    FFF - BB, BB, 2B, HR, 2B, HR, 1B, BB, BB, 1B, BB, BB, HR

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

Jaw (09-04-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie's Chainz View Post

If only they sold white triangular hoods for you.
    Last edited by cajunrevenge; 09-04-2018 at 02:50 AM.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.