Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Waiver deals....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    We would have him for 2 years so an extension would still be possible. If he didn’t want to sign we could take the pick and Contreras should be ready by then.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    Realmuto has great value as a defensive catcher. He's still young. his hitting is a plus, but I know no one is really about giving up anything to upgrade Camargo or Swanson or Inciarte either, so might as well get your offense here.

Flowers is a diminishing proposition. The catching market is weak beyond Grandal and the all offense Ramos.
    In what world is Realmuto a good defensive catcher? He is consistently among the worst in the game at framing.

I say go Grandal and Flowers. Young pitching would benefit from elite framing.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 08-06-2018 at 09:13 PM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

Jaw (08-06-2018), jpx7 (08-07-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    If someone claimed Teheran they should definitely let him go.
    Nobody will claim Julio. That suggestion was made by the dumbest person on this board.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    And Markakis is a FA, and who knows if the Braves keep him or not.

The cost for Realmuto would be big, but if the Braves could extend him, he'd round out an excellent top 4 in the lineup with Albies, Acuna, and Freeman, that's legit.
    Why do people insist on making this “if they can extend him” comment as if extending a catcher into his 30s makes him any more valuable?

Realmuto is valuable because he is being less than he’s worth. Extending him for market rates makes him no more valuable, and quite possibly makes him less valuable.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-07-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    I would certainly be aboard the the sign Grandal train as well. I like him and Realmuto a ton.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I would certainly be aboard the the sign Grandal train as well. I like him and Realmuto a ton.
    Put you down for being in favor of 5 years/ 80 million for the 30 year old?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Nobody will claim Julio. That suggestion was made by the dumbest person on this board.
    Second time today: no one was talking to you.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    If I were y'all, I'd simply get ready catcher wise. Whatever it is, whether it's a trade or a contract, it's likely going to be a payment at least a few people get mad and throw a fit about. The only thing I will say is while I want Grandal, I'm not going higher than 3 guaranteed. 3 plus an option.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaGirl View Post
    If I were y'all, I'd simply get ready catcher wise. Whatever it is, whether it's a trade or a contract, it's likely going to be a payment at least a few people get mad and throw a fit about. The only thing I will say is while I want Grandal, I'm not going higher than 3 guaranteed. 3 plus an option.
    It's probably the one position we can really upgrade. If it's Realmuto, i just hope it isnt an absurd cost.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Put you down for being in favor of 5 years/ 80 million for the 30 year old?
    I don't think I ever specified years or amounts... I was mentioning the 2 catchers I would want the most that will likely be available in a perfect world. Grandal and Realmuto are easily the two best names available and 2 of the best in all of baseball. So if that is what it takes to upgrade a position that needs an upgrade bad as we become more and more a contending team? Maybe not quite at that price, but okay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    In what world is Realmuto a good defensive catcher? He is consistently among the worst in the game at framing.

I say go Grandal and Flowers. Young pitching would benefit from elite framing.
    Yes! You don't go out and get a bat first catcher when you're trying to fill your rotation with pitchers that are barely old enough to drink. A slight improvement in handling the staff is worth more than any catchers bat can produce.

McCann seems like the perfect fit here, we know he is good with young pitchers and won't cost much. Save the prospect capital to upgrade SS, 3B, CF, or RF. Hopefully at least 2 of those are improved by opening day.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-07-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Second time today: no one was talking to you.
    I apologize. Carry on with your enlightened conversation with clvderp.

You guys can also rub your 3 collective brain cells together and talk about how good you think Realmuto is defensively.

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Bowman said we inquired on Realmuto and will look to do so this winter.

Said the cost would be one of Soroka, Anderson, Wright, one of Riley, Pache, and a top 15-20 prospect as well, that's quite alot.
    Yea ... no.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (08-07-2018), Tapate50 (08-07-2018)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Yea ... no.
    Exactly.

Only two years of control and not exactly cheap years at that.

Not a good framer and would not help our young pitchers.

Contreras will probably be up in 2020, so you only need one year.

I’m just not that big on getting him..especially with the cost. I would rather sign a good stop gap.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Exactly.

Only two years of control and not exactly cheap years at that.

Not a good framer and would not help our young pitchers.

Contreras will probably be up in 2020, so you only need one year.

I’m just not that big on getting him..especially with the cost. I would rather sign a good stop gap.

Expecting Contreras to be a good option at 22 for a contending ball club based on one pretty good year in Low A ball is not particularly reasonable.

there is a difference between protecting a possible core piece from trade and being extremely hopeful and pencilling him into the starting lineup at the earliest conceivable time.

I think it could well be a good strategy to pick guys off the scrap heap at catcher. Maybe the Braves are good at finding them and have a competitive advantage there.

It could be a good strategy to sign Grandal to a massive deal.

It could be a strategy to trade for Realmuto.

I'm not really for or against any of those specifically, but I certainly am for deploying the Braves resources to acquire better players somewhere. And it's stupid not to trade some of the prospects. Even the good ones.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (08-07-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Expecting Contreras to be a good option at 22 for a contending ball club based on one pretty good year in Low A ball is not particularly reasonable.

there is a difference between protecting a possible core piece from trade and being extremely hopeful and pencilling him into the starting lineup at the earliest conceivable time.
    I love watching Contreras. It feels like you can see him figuring things out during an at bat or pitch sequence, and he talks to the pitchers and coaches a lot in the dugout. But no way should anyone be putting an ETA on him at this point.

And it's stupid not to trade some of the prospects. Even the good ones.

I would amend this to pitching prospects. There just isn't enough position player depth in the farm to trade any of those guys. It's reasonable to expect one of Pache or Waters fills a productive outfield role. Hopefully one of Contreras or Riley is an infield answer. Beyond that there isn't much.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I love watching Contreras. It feels like you can see him figuring things out during an at bat or pitch sequence, and he talks to the pitchers and coaches a lot in the dugout. But no way should anyone be putting an ETA on him at this point.

I would amend this to pitching prospects. There just isn't enough position player depth in the farm to trade any of those guys. It's reasonable to expect one of Pache or Waters fills a productive outfield role. Hopefully one of Contreras or Riley is an infield answer. Beyond that there isn't much.
    Exactly. If I could trade pitching to get him...OK. You will likely lose Pache or Waters....that I’m NOT ok with. Going forward (and we are already seeing it in the lower minors), we will have a LOT less talent. I think it would not be smart to trade any or the few position guys we have that could make it to MLB.

If it was pitchers plus Contreras for Realmuto...sure maybe. We HAVE to sign him long term though. Giving a big package of prospects for a guy that will only be here two years is not the answer.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Paying market value for Realmuto in prospects and then possibly in money isn't the best use of resources of Braves. Pass.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-07-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    I dont think we will trade for or sign an elite catcher...the better course imo is to bring back two veterans like Flowers and Suzuki...not necessarily those two though

our organizational philosophy should be to grow our own stars and surround them with solid veterans that dont tie our hands financially...we should prioritize extenting guys like Acuna and Albies, presuming this can be done on team friendly terms
    Last edited by nsacpi; 08-07-2018 at 09:54 AM.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Paying market value for Realmuto in prospects and then possibly in money isn't the best use of resources of Braves. Pass.
    The second part is not a particularly realistic scenario if you are especially worried about it.