Page 845 of 1422 FirstFirst ... 3457457958358438448458468478558959451345 ... LastLast
Results 16,881 to 16,900 of 28437

Thread: The Trump Presidency

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    link to graph of federal outlays as % of GDP

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/FYONGDA188S
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    I read that they know most of what was said by intercepting Russian intelligence. Even if the conversation was innocent it is bound to still be comical.
    so they will have known by now that Trump and Putin only talked about international adoptions

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    I bet Putin honeydicked him.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    link to graph of federal outlays as % of GDP

https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/FYONGDA188S
    Do you have tax receipts as % of gdp? IIRC, we have struggled to consistently beat 17.5%, despite all sorts of tax policies tried over the past several decades. Meanwhile, spending as a % of gdp has hovered around 20%, which IMO backs up sturg’s claim that we have a spending problem.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to acesfull86 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (08-06-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    Do you have tax receipts as % of gdp? IIRC, we have struggled to consistently beat 17.5%, despite all sorts of tax policies tried over the past several decades. Meanwhile, spending as a % of gdp has hovered around 20%, which IMO backs up sturg’s claim that we have a spending problem.
    https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/FYFRGDA188S

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    CBO projections

FY2018: Spending as % of GDP: 20.6%, Revenues: 16.6%

FY2019: Spending: 21.3%, Revenues: 16.5%

FY2020: Spending: 21.3%, Revenues: 16.7%

I would agree more work has to be done to bend the trajectory on spending side. Not that there is a magic percentage for spending and a magic percentage for revenues. But the historical norms suggest where the political will in the country might be.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    view from "the field"

Donald J. Trump
    ‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump

Lebron James was just interviewed by the dumbest man on television,

Don Lemon. He made Lebron look smart,

which isn’t easy to do. I like Mike!

Jason Isbell
    ‏Verified account @JasonIsbell
    26m26 minutes ago

Jason Isbell Retweeted Donald J. Trump

How could anyone possibly believe this man is doing

a good job as president of the United States? Seriously.

President. Of our entire nation.
    The best way to stop a bad guy with a gun is to make sure he doesn’t get a gun.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 57Brave For This Useful Post:

goldfly (08-06-2018)

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Trump coming at LeBron in typical barely-veiled racist fashion is so very much on-brand.

This almost makes me feel sorry for Trump, who, being a manifestly petty player-hater, has so many reasons to be jealous of LBJ.

Trump, who had everything handed to him, is going to be remembered as an avatar of unearned privilege. LeBron is going to be remembered as a singular success story, an elite athlete, a humanitarian and philanthropist. By the time he’s done he’ll have run a million laps around Trump.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

goldfly (08-06-2018), Runnin (08-05-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Judd Legum
    ‏Verified account @JuddLegum
    8h8 hours ago

TRUMP: Creates fake university to scam students, pays $25 million fine for fraud

LEBRON: Creates top-notch public high school for low-income students, pays college tuition for every graduate

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 57Brave For This Useful Post:

goldfly (08-06-2018), Runnin (08-05-2018)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 57Brave View Post
    Judd Legum
    ‏Verified account @JuddLegum
    8h8 hours ago

TRUMP: Creates fake university to scam students, pays $25 million fine for fraud

LEBRON: Creates top-notch public high school for low-income students, pays college tuition for every graduate
    Good for LeBron.

Actually, good for the private sector once again

Meanwhile,

Waiting for Free Agency acesfull86's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    Nitpicking, but didn’t LeBron start a school for 3/4th graders, not HS? I should probably know given that interview was shown on ESPN about thirty times.

And yes, good for LeBron either way.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    The left has lost its mind

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acesfull86 View Post
    Nitpicking, but didn’t LeBron start a school for 3/4th graders, not HS? I should probably know given that interview was shown on ESPN about thirty times.

And yes, good for LeBron either way.
    And The local taxes will pay for 75% of that school. So the other schools in that district will lose funds.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    If I am not mistaken schools get funding based on number of students attending. Its only natural if one school has 600 less stusents it will have less funding. From what I hear taxes will for the operating costs which they would still be doing if they were in a public school.

I have my doubts about the effectivness this school is going to have. Thug culture has a strong grip on poor black kids. High school is way to late so I am glad this isnt a HS. Its good he is trying something but this feels really weal compared with the billion dollars he will earn in his lifetime.

It’s over."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    If I am not mistaken schools get funding based on number of students attending. Its only natural if one school has 600 less stusents it will have less funding. From what I hear taxes will for the operating costs which they would still be doing if they were in a public school.

I have my doubts about the effectivness this school is going to have. Thug culture has a strong grip on poor black kids. High school is way to late so I am glad this isnt a HS. Its good he is trying something but this feels really weal compared with the billion dollars he will earn in his lifetime.
    This is why the whole "vouchers and school choice" will make education better argument won't work. It sounds like a good idea but schools have to plan on how many students they expect to have, then hire teachers for those numbers and if parents can just move their kids around here and there and back and forth it will totally mess up their numbers. So many parents will move their kids around until they find a school, public, private, charter, religious, etc., that will let their little darlings get away with whatever they want to do and give them whatever grades they want them to have and so it'll come back to schools becoming the whores they have largely become anyway because of the money they must have to survive. This really isn't about better education anyway, at least not most of it, it's about destroying the unions not because they are messed up, which sometimes they are, but because it's assumed that most teachers block vote Democrat and therefore are the enemy of Repubs, who are usually the ones criticizing them and calling for things like total school choice, etc. Yes there are some good reasons for school choice and parents should have some say in where their kids go to school, but those aren't the main driving forces behind this movement.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Oklahomahawk For This Useful Post:

57Brave (08-08-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Our school system needs to be torn down and rebuilt from scratch. They are more glorified daycares than schools. Teaching comes second to indoctrination.

I would like to see kids be able to move up in grades at their own pace. I could have passed highschool at 14. If I could do it over again I would have got a GED at 16 and gone to college early. Cut out the bull**** and kids get 1-2 hours of real education in a day.

I also strongly doubt public schools will ever be effective in America. It might work in countries the size of Florida but it doesnt here. I would much rather private schools and the government just functions as oversight to ensure integrity and basic compliance.

It’s over."

23. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

Jaw (08-08-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomahawk View Post
    This is why the whole "vouchers and school choice" will make education better argument won't work. It sounds like a good idea but schools have to plan on how many students they expect to have, then hire teachers for those numbers and if parents can just move their kids around here and there and back and forth it will totally mess up their numbers. So many parents will move their kids around until they find a school, public, private, charter, religious, etc., that will let their little darlings get away with whatever they want to do and give them whatever grades they want them to have and so it'll come back to schools becoming the whores they have largely become anyway because of the money they must have to survive. This really isn't about better education anyway, at least not most of it, it's about destroying the unions not because they are messed up, which sometimes they are, but because it's assumed that most teachers block vote Democrat and therefore are the enemy of Repubs, who are usually the ones criticizing them and calling for things like total school choice, etc. Yes there are some good reasons for school choice and parents should have some say in where their kids go to school, but those aren't the main driving forces behind this movement.
    Do you really believe that is the primary motivation for people who support a voucher system?

I ask that because I know a lot of families that have chosen private school for their children, and their motivation was the exact opposite of your hypothesis. These parents wanted schools that held the kids more accountable and that do more to discourage bad behavior. The public schools' lack of authority to enforce standards and remove chronically bad influences is often cited as the largest problem.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    I listened to an interesting podcast last week on this subject. The lady being interviewed argued that advocacy for school choice nothing more than a 21st century form of school segregation.
    Separate but equal. Emphasis on the separate. Not so much the equal.

I agree the model being used is outdated. But disagree that public schools are incapable of being effective.

Florida is the size of some countries

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    Do you really believe that is the primary motivation for people who support a voucher system?

I ask that because I know a lot of families that have chosen private school for their children, and their motivation was the exact opposite of your hypothesis. These parents wanted schools that held the kids more accountable and that do more to discourage bad behavior. The public schools' lack of authority to enforce standards and remove chronically bad influences is often cited as the largest problem.
    There are people at the national or state (ie political folks) who are usually the driving force behind it and it's for exactly what I said it's for from the Repub side. Of course Dems fight against it primarily for the same reason though an obviously opposite outcome. It's all about votes and money and power to them.

On the personal/individual level of course there are people who just want the best education for their kids, but it's been my experience those aren't the main (numbers) force involved. Some really do just want the best possible education for their children and I commend them and we all know people who we can use as examples. The most numbers IMO are those who just want the babysitting and social club and next generation of local and regional leaders, ie the social elite of a particular area
    and other similar types of perks that cajun mentioned, and as long as little Johnny and little Mary get good grades and their share of accolades the parents just assume they're getting a good education.

There are always examples of good people just wanting the best (I mean the actual best, not just the easiest) for their kids, but I have not seen nearly as many of those as I have the other kind. Bedell and I used to have this conversation a lot ((I miss Bedell by the way) if a person's experiences show examples of one type or another that's usually the ones we remember and the ones we apply to such questions and discussions.

It's like the lazy, incompetent "just doing it for the power trip and the paycheck" teachers you hear used as examples for what's wrong with our education system. We all know at least a couple of those, but that really isn't how most of them are. The useless ones should be gotten rid of ASAP but they usually have some kind of family or other "connections" in the community, which is often why they got their job in the first place. If we really looked at what most teachers do on most days we'd see one of the best and most dedicated and selfless group of professionals in this country. Now the parents, and the kids, and the administrators, that's a whole other can of worms.