Page 28 of 43 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018: The Year Of The Venezuelan Trout

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,730 Posts
    theres a bonus for being clutch in a pennant race.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

Acuña’s Bat Flip (08-14-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    There’s some serious underrating on this board what Soto is doing.

Acuna would probably need to get to 30 homeruns and finish with a 140wRC just to have a chance to catch Soto.
    We'll see how much the voters care about walks. Not that I disagree with you or anything.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    There’s some serious underrating on this board what Soto is doing.

Acuna would probably need to get to 30 homeruns and finish with a 140wRC just to have a chance to catch Soto.
    Acuña is "only" .6 fWAR away with 8 less games played. He could easily catch him there. he's already besting him in bWAR (2.5 to 2.0).
    the only reason why you're probably right is because voters will basically look at strictly offense.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post:

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,287 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Acuña is "only" .6 fWAR away with 8 less games played. He could easily catch him there. he's already besting him in bWAR (2.5 to 2.0).
    the only reason why you're probably right is because voters will basically look at strictly offense.
    There’s some disagreement between UZR and DRS regarding Acuna’s defense which is likely enough to make this mostly about offense, which Soto is clearly superior at this point.

I think Acuna is the better player moving forward, but for this season it’s impossible to overrate how amazing Soto has been as a19 year old.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    There’s some disagreement between UZR and DRS regarding Acuna’s defense which is likely enough to make this mostly about offense, which Soto is clearly superior at this point.

I think Acuna is the better player moving forward, but for this season it’s impossible to overrate how amazing Soto has been as a19 year old.
    either way, acuña is a far superior defender because soto is really bad.
    soto's fWAR is 2.6, bWAR 2.0.
    acuña is 2.0 and 2.5 respectively.
    overall, soto hasn't been that much better a player (if at all). if acuña catches him in fWAR and maintains his bWAR lead, he won't have to do what you say to be the better player this year.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    overall, soto hasn't been that much better a player (if at all). if acuña catches him in fWAR and maintains his bWAR lead, he won't have to do what you say to be the better player this year.
    Top 5 ISO in MLB history, with at least 250 PAs, age 20 or less:

1) Ott .306 2) Teddy W.281, 3) ARoid .273, 4) Horner .272, 5) Acuna .270. It's not a stretch if he makes it into the top 3 by season's end.

BTW, Soto is 8th at .246, which is #1 among 19 year olds.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

If we are just talking about the sample we have, Soto walks much more and strikes out much less and has a little bit less, but comparable power.

to that sample (which as we've seen can change remarkably over a week), Soto has been the better hitter all things considered.

Acuna hasn't really been good enough in the field to make that stand out for his case.

the best thing he can do to change the conversation is to stay relatively hot and be seen conspicuously helping the team in the playoff race.

I will say the past week was exactly the sort of thing that Acuna needed to shift the narrative away from how dominant Soto had been. He just put his name back in the hat. So I think from here he probably needs to be a little bit better than Soto and Braves need to win.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts

The offensive difference is not as large anymore. Also consider that the BWAA is still largely in the stone age and values the baseball card stats, of which Acuna leads Soto in several categories. The biggest difference so far offensively has been Soto's superior plate discipline.

Acuna has closed the gap significantly in regards to ROY. Getting hot down the stretch of a playoff run will only help his case and would likely secure his selection.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    If we are just talking about the sample we have, Soto walks much more and strikes out much less and has a little bit less, but comparable power.

to that sample (which as we've seen can change remarkably over a week), Soto has been the better hitter all things considered.

Acuna hasn't really been good enough in the field to make that stand out for his case.
    stats that measure all of this and more have the two players pretty close. the average WAR for each is 2.3 for soto and 2.25 for acuña. soto has not been that much better (if at all) than acuña overall.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,854 Posts
    Soto was voted Rookie of the Month for the past two months so he's clearly in the lead here. Acuna will need a great two months with Soto slumping

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    stats that measure all of this and more have the two players pretty close. the average WAR for each is 2.3 for soto and 2.25 for acuña. soto has not been that much better (if at all) than acuña overall.
    wRC+

Soto 157
    Acuna 138

Acuna has been all right in the field, but the metrics disagree on how he's done, his defense hasn't particularly impressed eyes, and that whole component of WAR is the most problematic (which is demonstrated in their complete inconsistency in evaluating the play of the same player).

Plus I don't think many people are going to be basing their votes on their averaged WAR.

this is just the sample we have. A week ago this wasn't a discussion. A week from now it might not be again...in the opposite direction. Who knows?

Acuna is in it and will come down to the stretch. He needs to outperform Soto in that time period to win it.
    Last edited by Southcack77; 08-14-2018 at 10:53 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    wRC+

Soto 157
    Acuna 138

Acuna has been all right in the field, but the metrics disagree on how he's done, his defense hasn't particularly impressed eyes, and that whole component of WAR is the most problematic (which is demonstrated in their complete inconsistency in evaluating the play of the same player).

Plus I don't think many people are going to be basing their votes on their averaged WAR.

this is just the sample we have. A week ago this wasn't a discussion. A week ago it might not be again...in the opposite direction. Who knows?

Acuna is in it and will come down to the stretch. He needs to outperform Soto in that time period to win it.
    yeah, i said that the reason why chop was likely right is because voters will be favoring mostly offensive numbers. to win the award acuña will have to continue to go nuts.
    but soto has simply not been a much better player than acuña this year. they've been about equal. and it's possible, if not likely, acuña will be the better player this year and still not win ROTY.

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    I mean just thinking about it in general, it's pretty amazing that Acuna could keep a slash around .282/.342/.553 and it's quite possible he doesn't win ROY, but that's how incredibly unprecedented what Soto has done. After a slow at times first half, he's lived up to the 20 year old prodigal hype and then some, could post one of the better age 20 rookie seasons in major league baseball and if Soto doesn't continue slumping and ends up steadying...because what he's done is just absolutely amazing for 19, he's still ROY.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Soto is something we've never really seen before offensively. He's bad defensively and only going to get worse, so he's likely going to play 1B for most of his career, if he doesn't move to the AL. Which is fine, and he'll be super valuable - probably something like Judge, that 6-8 WAR range...which is great. Acuna does have the higher ceiling because of all that he offers, and I would rather have Acuna moving forward, as his ceiling is more in that 8-10 WAR range. But Soto deserves ROY at this point.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    It's funny reading all this pimping during a hot streak after so much silence during a cold steak haha.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    440 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Soto is something we've never really seen before offensively. He's bad defensively and only going to get worse, so he's likely going to play 1B for most of his career, if he doesn't move to the AL. Which is fine, and he'll be super valuable - probably something like Judge, that 6-8 WAR range...which is great. Acuna does have the higher ceiling because of all that he offers, and I would rather have Acuna moving forward, as his ceiling is more in that 8-10 WAR range. But Soto deserves ROY at this point.

Watch out for Vlad Jr. That dude will be incredible. Younger than those guys. Hitting over .400 with only 32 k’s in over 300at bats.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    It's funny reading all this pimping during a hot streak after so much silence during a cold steak haha.
    i'm not really "pimping." i'm stating that as of right now, acuña and soto have been close in overall play.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    154 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Watch out for Vlad Jr. That dude will be incredible. Younger than those guys. Hitting over .400 with only 32 k’s in over 300at bats.
    Yeah he looks like he's going to be a monster.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts
    Can't deny Soto has had a better year. He's been great. Acuna had an adjustment period and the injury hurt him. He's got the higher upside and likely the better player in the long term. But that means nothing when it comes to the ROY vote.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atl717 View Post
    Can't deny Soto has had a better year. He's been great. Acuna had an adjustment period and the injury hurt him. He's got the higher upside and likely the better player in the long term. But that means nothing when it comes to the ROY vote.
    again, tho: acuña is .6 behind in fWAR and ahead in bWAR. offensively, sure, it's not close. but all around game-wise, it's much closer than people are implying.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Super For This Useful Post: