Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RIP to Stephen A Smith's career

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts

RIP to Stephen A Smith's career

If his "First Take" take wasn't bad enough.....he just lit himself on fire on twitter.

RIP.
    The Atlanta Braves signed Nick Markakis for 4/45 - Never forget 12/3/2014

"Klay Thompson > James Harden" - Heyward

"Chris Bosh is the MVP of the Miami Heat" - Heyward

"Hibbert is better than Dwight Howard"- Heyward

"Steven Adams will be a top 10 center in two years - thethe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,709 Posts
    Very informative OP.
    thank you weso1!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

goldfly (07-29-2014), jpx7 (07-28-2014), Krovahn (07-26-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    I know you have the internet since you're posting on here......I would check it. Or just use google....it's on the internet as well, google, that is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,709 Posts
    You could've just given a brief synopsis instead of typing the above.
    thank you weso1!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-28-2014), Krovahn (07-26-2014), NinersSBChamps (07-25-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,929 Posts
    Thank goodness. One of the WORST on air personalities on ESPN.
    Ivermectin Man

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tapate50 For This Useful Post:

BlackwaterPark (07-25-2014), goldfly (07-29-2014)

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    444 Posts
    Smith will get a pass by espn because he's black. Why do you think he's still around after so many failures?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Krgrecw For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (07-25-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    You could've just given a brief synopsis instead of typing the above.
    He basically said on First Take women need to think about what they do that provokes men to hit them.

He then took to twitter to "explain" and made it worse in about 27 tweets.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    444 Posts
    John Harbaugh should be fired for what he said about the Ray a Rice situation.
    Last edited by Krgrecw; 07-25-2014 at 05:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    People are acting like Rice walks in to his house after work, gets drunk, and abuses his now wife. We really don't know the whole story. We simply don't. Apparently his fiance/wife was charged with assault as well. I actually think people might be misconstruing what Smith said. To say he said women provoke men in to hitting them and leaving it at that is misleading at best.

Put it this way, in your eyes, can a woman do whatever she wants to a man without him doing anything back? I think it's a little more complicated than some are making it. Clearly there was alcohol involved in the Rice incident - which isn't to say it's an excuse for anything at all. I find it hard to believe there's video of Rice straight uppercutting his fiance and knocking her out and the NFL only giving him 2 games. I think there's too much we don't know to just brazenly label him a woman-beater. Perhaps there's a lot in the video that we don't know.

I'm not defending what Rice did, and saying anything but "under no imaginable circumstance should a man touch a woman" and leaving it at that is a little risky and gets taken the wrong way IMO. I don't think Smith articulated what he meant very well. The provocation part is curious to me, because if there are "signs" in which a girl knows she is "provoking" her partner in to hitting her, then maybe she should leave him. If there are clear signs to "oh he's going to hit me, I better stop nagging!" I don't think that's what he meant. It always sounds bad, and I'm sure this will too.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (07-25-2014), BoneThrower (07-25-2014)

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    People are acting like Rice walks in to his house after work, gets drunk, and abuses his now wife. We really don't know the whole story. We simply don't. Apparently his fiance/wife was charged with assault as well. I actually think people might be misconstruing what Smith said. To say he said women provoke men in to hitting them and leaving it at that is misleading at best.

Put it this way, in your eyes, can a woman do whatever she wants to a man without him doing anything back? I think it's a little more complicated than some are making it. Clearly there was alcohol involved in the Rice incident - which isn't to say it's an excuse for anything at all. I find it hard to believe there's video of Rice straight uppercutting his fiance and knocking her out and the NFL only giving him 2 games. I think there's too much we don't know to just brazenly label him a woman-beater. Perhaps there's a lot in the video that we don't know.

I'm not defending what Rice did, and saying anything but "under no imaginable circumstance should a man touch a woman" and leaving it at that is a little risky and gets taken the wrong way IMO. I don't think Smith articulated what he meant very well. The provocation part is curious to me, because if there are "signs" in which a girl knows she is "provoking" her partner in to hitting her, then maybe she should leave him. If there are clear signs to "oh he's going to hit me, I better stop nagging!" I don't think that's what he meant. It always sounds bad, and I'm sure this will too.
    I knew a few women that put men in the hospital. I don't know if they got charge though. Black women are different in the provoking part as they will do it and never stop, never stop. I wouldn't hit a woman but I know they will stalk you and stalk you, follow you until you get angry because if you say nothing to them, it makes them madder. They want to get a rise out of you and if you don't, they call you names like "wheres your manhood, did I marry a sissy/pussy or worse" stuff like that. I dated one and she provoked me until I could not stay with her anymore, then another, then another, I just got fed up with the provoking bullsch!t. They wanted to be treated like queens but treat you like sch!t in return and then brag to their girlfriends that my man is my bitch and will do anything I say. So, I imagine that Ray probably was getting dissed by his woman in front of everyone, tried walking away and she followed probably talking schit while doing it and he snapped. he was wrong to strike her but you have to know how to disengage with females like that and he didn't so now it cost him and HER a lot of dough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krgrecw View Post
    Smith will get a pass by espn because he's black. Why do you think he's still around after so many failures?
    He didn't say anything wrong, if it was about abortion or gays, he might be in trouble. Who's gonna get mad, black women? White women don't provoke you like that, never seen one that did. I dated all races and I have to say ignore a black woman when she is mad, it gets ugly real fast and they will let everyone in your area code know about it with the loudness and the words that come out of your mouth and they will call you demeaning names while doing it and you cannot stop it. You can run, walk away, but she will follow your ass and scream and cuss and talk about your supposed manliness.

**NOT ACTUALLY RACIST
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    444 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    He didn't say anything wrong, if it was about abortion or gays, he might be in trouble. Who's gonna get mad, black women? White women don't provoke you like that, never seen one that did. I dated all races and I have to say ignore a black woman when she is mad, it gets ugly real fast and they will let everyone in your area code know about it with the loudness and the words that come out of your mouth and they will call you demeaning names while doing it and you cannot stop it. You can run, walk away, but she will follow your ass and scream and cuss and talk about your supposed manliness.

So you can see where Anthony Cumia came from in his tweets? Surprised he got fired.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    So you can see where Anthony Cumia came from in his tweets? Surprised he got fired.

Who?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,929 Posts
    He was angry, I get that. You can be angry, you just can't strike a woman.

Cumia will do just fine on his own in the podcast world. I'll miss him on xm though. He and Ron Bennington are the best thing going on radio.
    Ivermectin Man

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Makes ESPN First Take even less watchable now.

Stephen A was the only thing making that show good, now its lame.

Also, Rice should have got MINIMUM 6-8 games, 2 games is a freaking joke.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post

It ALL makes sense now...

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BRule For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-28-2014), yeezus (07-26-2014), zitothebrave (07-26-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    He was angry, I get that. You can be angry, you just can't strike a woman.

Cumia will do just fine on his own in the podcast world. I'll miss him on xm though. He and Ron Bennington are the best thing going on radio.
    You can't strike a woman, period. I am just saying a black woman would provoke like no other. You know the head shaking thing, try that with finger pointing and saying things about your manhood but 1000 times worse and then loud when everyone in the next state can hear. That is what they do, believe me, I've been in that situation. What I did but I don't think Rice could, was leave the area, let her scream bloody murder about my manhood and drove away. Of course when I got home and she arrived later from a Taxi, I told her point blank, pack your schit and leave, I am not going to let you continue to be a bitch toward me in front of my friends, now leave. When I see my friends and they asked about the incident, I just tell them, I told the bitch to leave and that is that, the gold digger can dig from someone else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post
    Makes ESPN First Take even less watchable now.

Also, Rice should have got MINIMUM 6-8 games, 2 games is a freaking joke.

I would gave him a year. Man up, she was a bitch, but you don't have to strike her. Leaving and not giving her the upper hand is the biggest smite.

He was thinking if I marry her, I won't get punished. LMAO, dude you hit her, there is no going back on that, none.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to AerchAngel For This Useful Post:

Heyward (07-26-2014)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,005 Posts
    Yeah, that angle worked for Harold Reynolds.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,005 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    You can't strike a woman, period. I am just saying a black woman would provoke like no other. You know the head shaking thing, try that with finger pointing and saying things about your manhood but 1000 times worse and then loud when everyone in the next state can hear. That is what they do, believe me, I've been in that situation. What I did but I don't think Rice could, was leave the area, let her scream bloody murder about my manhood and drove away. Of course when I got home and she arrived later from a Taxi, I told her point blank, pack your schit and leave, I am not going to let you continue to be a bitch toward me in front of my friends, now leave. When I see my friends and they asked about the incident, I just tell them, I told the bitch to leave and that is that, the gold digger can dig from someone else.
    Kudos--and I mean it truly--kudos to you. You did exactly what you should have done.