Page 87 of 107 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,740 of 2133

Thread: Farewell to Wood, Peraza, Jimmy Johns, and Avilans.

Prosecutor of the
    International Criminal Court

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChapelHillMatt View Post
    Terrible trade. So bad I wouldn't mind if Hart was fired. I mean we are rebuilding right? Why are we trading away prospects? I thought teams that were rebuilding traded for young players.....not players in their 30's. By the time we are good again he will be past his prime. I doubt we will ever be good again however. Gary doesn't seem, he is just randomly making trades. I mean what is the logic here? Do we even have a plan? Doesn't look like it!
    It really is crazy - if you look at the man parts to this deal you would think we were the 1st place team and the Dodgers were building for the future. It seems some people are trying to come up with any way to justify this when the labels are really quite simple. We traded a healthy and productive 24 year old left handed pitcher under control + a top prospect that could either produce for us or have been used in another trade ... and the return is an injury prone 30 year old that has never had a professional at bat? Unless the plan is to sign Price, Grienke, Upton and Heyward, I just don't see how anyone can justify trading a 24 year old and 21 year old asset for someone that is 30 when we are in full rebuild mode. Needing a bat doesn't justify God awful trades. Maybe when we traded every single major league ready asset on our team we should have stopped twice to think maybe we should bring back offense in even one of these moves. Hart got obsessed with having to load up on excessive amounts of pitching and when he finally realized we need some offense he just gets absolutely taken to school. By the time this guy is good for us (if ever) he will already be declining physically. Trading guys like Heyward Upton etc sucked but I understood it - But this one is just unacceptable.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AJonesATL For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (07-30-2015), NinersSBChamps (07-30-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    I find it hard to believe that the Braves are going to trade Olivera at this point. Clearly they are enamored with him.
    Just saying that would be a smart trade at that point. Let him showcase his ability, trade high on a guy with serious questions. Decent hitting is getting a good return on the market right now.

That's only if Ruiz comes along, though. Ruiz would be a much better option for us going forward than a guy Olivera's age, and we could continue adding young talent that way.

We should view Olivera as a piece that can help us, but as soon as there's any kind of logjam, he should be the one to go.
    Last edited by smootness; 07-30-2015 at 08:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChapelHillMatt View Post
    Terrible trade. So bad I wouldn't mind if Hart was fired. I mean we are rebuilding right? Why are we trading away prospects? I thought teams that were rebuilding traded for young players.....not players in their 30's. By the time we are good again he will be past his prime. I doubt we will ever be good again however. Hart doesn't seem to have a plan, he is just randomly making trades. I mean what is the logic here? Do we even have a plan? Doesn't look like it!
    Well said.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SidSlid92 View Post
    I'll take the 24 year old SP that's already got a track record of success over the medically questionable 30 year old that hasn't even shown he can own minor league pitching.
    See this is the type of rhetoric I'm talking about. His minor league numbers are really good. Why even say that last part? I mean you only mention the positives of Wood and the negatives of Olivera. I could just as easily say, I'd rather have the athletic 3B with the strong bat over the unorthodox delivery velocity declining starter.
    thank you weso1!

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    From Hart:
    “As we start to retool this offense, this is the first building block, I think,” Braves president of baseball operations John Hart said. “Look, we just don’t have the upper-level bats that are in the (minor league) system. We’re going to have to be creative in how we bring in some of these guys….

And whose fault is it we don't have those bats?? We dealt a multitude of players over the offseason and targeted pitching. So now we are going to get hosed in a deal to add bats? Where is the logic in that?

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SidSlid92 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (07-30-2015), bravesnumberone (07-30-2015), jpx7 (07-30-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AJonesATL View Post
    It really is crazy - if you look at the man parts to this deal you would think we were the 1st place team and the Dodgers were building for the future. It seems some people are trying to come up with any way to justify this when the labels are really quite simple. We traded a healthy and productive 24 year old left handed pitcher under control + a top prospect that could either produce for us or have been used in another trade ... and the return is an injury prone 30 year old that has never had a professional at bat? Unless the plan is to sign Price, Grienke, Upton and Heyward, I just don't see how anyone can justify trading a 24 year old and 21 year old asset for someone that is 30 when we are in full rebuild mode. Needing a bat doesn't justify God awful trades. Maybe when we traded every single major league ready asset on our team we should have stopped twice to think maybe we should bring back offense in even one of these moves. Hart got obsessed with having to load up on excessive amounts of pitching and when he finally realized we need some offense he just gets absolutely taken to school. By the time this guy is good for us (if ever) he will already be declining physically. Trading guys like Heyward Upton etc sucked but I understood it - But this one is just unacceptable.
    I do agree with a lot of this, though not the part about the Heyward/Upton trades.

But I don't like that we're acting like we just realized the FA market for hitting was weak.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    See this is the type of rhetoric I'm talking about. His minor league numbers are really good. Why even say that last part? I mean you only mention the positives of Wood and the negatives of Olivera. I could just as easily say, I'd rather have the athletic 3B with the strong bat over the unorthodox delivery velocity declining starter.
    Well, he doesn't really have minor league numbers. He's played 19 games at any level outside Cuba. That's the point.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to smootness For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-30-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    I thought they knew what they were doing until this debacle
    They had been winning me over too, esp. with the Upton deals among others. But wow this one was awful and the last one was closer to what striker said than how most spun it IMO.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Braves got two prospects back in this deal.

I suppose if you can call a relief pitcher a prospect. But this isn't exactly Kimbrell we're getting as a prospect. Bird has talent, but isn't a top level prospect. Certainly not any more valuable than someone like Ricardo Sanchez.

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory ChapelHillMatt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    I think people have been dying to have a reason to get on the front office. After basically all of the trades have worked out great in the offseason they had to check themselves and realize this front office knows what they are doing.
    They have done a good job but not every trade they make will be good. You don't have to blindly support them.you even said yourself earlier in the thread (when you found out who was in the deal) that there should be a significant return. Now after you find out what the trade is you go into spin mode and try to paint a positive picture no matter how bad it looks. You have a tendency to do this with every trade. I get that you are an optimist but just because someone is against a trade that doesn't mean they have an axe to grind with the front office. This trade just makes no sense for a team trying to rebuild. We gave away more young talent than we are getting back and we added payroll.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ChapelHillMatt For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (07-30-2015), bravesnumberone (07-30-2015), Hudson2 (07-30-2015), jpx7 (07-30-2015), sturg33 (07-30-2015)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    I suppose if you can call a relief pitcher a prospect. But this isn't exactly Kimbrell we're getting as a prospect. Bird has talent, but isn't a top level prospect. Certainly not any more valuable than someone like Ricardo Sanchez.
    He's talking about the draft pick, which definitely could turn out to be a good piece.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    From Hart:
    “As we start to retool this offense, this is the first building block, I think,” Braves president of baseball operations John Hart said. “Look, we just don’t have the upper-level bats that are in the (minor league) system. We’re going to have to be creative in how we bring in some of these guys….

And whose fault is it we don't have those bats?? We dealt a multitude of players over the offseason and targeted pitching. So now we are going to get hosed in a deal to add bats? Where is the logic in that?
    That is exactly the danger in what they did. The went overkill in one area and now are trying to fix that with a desperation move. Terrible plan.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Braves1976 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (07-30-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Some people just legitimately think this is a bad trade. That is an opinion you can have. I've been fully behind pretty much every move, but not this one.
    I'll give you credit, you've been borderline homer on everything recently (I say borderline because it's tough to be against most things we've done). I just disagree that this is an awful deal, and again: I haven't seen anyone outside this board think it is terrible for us. that can sometimes tell you something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AJonesATL View Post
    yes national writers who have no ties to the Braves are "trying to come up with reasons." a lot remains to be seen with this trade, but clearly people - outside this board, even - don't think the Braves were robbed. to declare anything right now like we know the outcome is just silly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Well, one good thing about this trade is that my interest in the latter stages of this season have been piqued with the eventual addition of Olivera to this lineup.
    thank you weso1!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yeezus View Post
    I'll give you credit, you've been borderline homer on everything recently (I say borderline because it's tough to be against most things we've done). I just disagree that this is an awful deal, and again: I haven't seen anyone outside this board think it is terrible for us. that can sometimes tell you something.
    I obviously hope this deal ends up being amazing. Any team can win any deal. If Olivera stays relatively healthy and produces, Bird becomes something, and the pick turns into good talent while Peraza never becomes much and Wood falters, then awesome.

I just really don't like it and don't like what it means for our overall long-term plan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    From Hart:

That quote gives me a lot of hope. To state that this is the first building block. I'm excited to see how the offense evolves from here. I think Hart gets that the offense needs a lot of help.
    thank you weso1!

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Well, one good thing about this trade is that my interest in the latter stages of this season have been piqued with the eventual addition of Olivera to this lineup.
    This is true. That will be an extremely anticipated debut, considering what we gave up.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    That quote gives me a lot of hope. To state that this is the first building block. I'm excited to see how the offense evolves from here. I think Hart gets that the offense needs a lot of help.
    I like that it looks like we'll be aggressive in adding offense; I just hope we don't continue to overpay or to give up young talent for guys already in or at the end of their prime.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Would rather have traded Miller for Puig than Wood for Olivera.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

FreemanFan (07-30-2015), jpx7 (07-30-2015)