Thread: What the hell is Fox doing?

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts

What the hell is Fox doing?

"Pierzynski joins a 2017 FOX MLB team that has signed several former players over the last several weeks, including Alex Rodriguez, Nick Swisher, Pete Rose and Frank Thomas."

Is there something in the new collective bargaining agreement that says only asshole ex-players are allowed to be hired by Fox Sports?

“With Opening Day right around the corner, this is always a great time of year,” Pierzynski said. “I’m really looking forward to what should be a very exciting MLB season and to being a part of the FOX Sports team again.”

A.J., could you be a little more forthcoming with your thoughts with us, one of your primary audiences?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Don't know if you're joking or not, but I think A.J. will do well in this role. He's opinionated and can be sarcastic. I think he'll be a hit with a lot of fans and his takes will be lauded by some and decried by others because there likely won't be any middle ground and that can make for good television.

Arizona Fall Leaguer Anthony J. Pierzynski's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Fox Sports has an institutional preference for hiring outspoken and controversial ex-players. Bickering and controversy sells, but they've clearly identified a need to have some sober and restrained analysis from a grounded figure who's not going to bring a lot of ego to the table.

I've gotten so many questions about this that I probably need to put false modesty aside and kick some truth to the youth.

Sometimes you have a team full of talented but lazy underachievers who need a kick in the ass from a certified alpha Silverback. That's what I did for the World Champion 2005 White Sox, that's what I did for the Braves, and that's what I'll do for Fox Sports. Let's look at what they're working with: I carried Frank Thomas in Chicago and turned Nick Swisher into my Mich Ultra caddy in Atlanta. Alex Rodriguez finished second to me every year for most hated player in MLB, and if they hate you, they fear you, right? Pete Rose? A slap-hitter who isn't even in the Hall of Fame. You want a winner at the track? Ask Pete. You want a winner on the diamond, ask AJP. Since the spreadsheet dweebs running MLB clubs now didn't want to offer me a job, I figure I'll wait my mandatory 5 years before HoF induction by building another legacy. Buckle up, buttercups.

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Anthony J. Pierzynski For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (03-29-2017), Coach_Chris (03-30-2017), Dalyn (03-30-2017), FreemanFan (03-30-2017), GovClintonTyree (03-29-2017), JohnAdcox (03-30-2017), Managuarantano's Volunteers (03-29-2017), Tapate50 (03-29-2017), The Chosen One (03-29-2017)

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony J. Pierzynski View Post
    Fox Sports has an institutional preference for hiring outspoken and controversial ex-players. Bickering and controversy sells, but they've clearly identified a need to have some sober and restrained analysis from a grounded figure who's not going to bring a lot of ego to the table.

I've gotten so many questions about this that I probably need to put false modesty aside and kick some truth to the youth.

Sometimes you have a team full of talented but lazy underachievers who need a kick in the ass from a certified alpha Silverback. That's what I did for the World Champion 2005 White Sox, that's what I did for the Braves, and that's what I'll do for Fox Sports. Let's look at what they're working with: I carried Frank Thomas in Chicago and turned Nick Swisher into my Mich Ultra caddy in Atlanta. Alex Rodriguez finished second to me every year for most hated player in MLB, and if they hate you, they fear you, right? Pete Rose? A slap-hitter who isn't even in the Hall of Fame. You want a winner at the track? Ask Pete. You want a winner on the diamond, ask AJP. Since the spreadsheet dweebs running MLB clubs now didn't want to offer me a job, I figure I'll wait my mandatory 5 years before HoF induction by building another legacy. Buckle up, buttercups.
    Just body slam Harold Reynolds for me, would you?

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (03-29-2017), Managuarantano's Volunteers (03-29-2017), Prikichi (03-29-2017)

Arbitration Eligible Freshmaker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    522 Posts
    Idk how AJ will do, but I will say I enjoyed ARod and Rose last year during the playoffs. They had pretty good chemistry IMO. Hopefully he works out for them

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Freshmaker For This Useful Post:

Coach_Chris (03-30-2017)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    If they hired Swisher, then they fulfilled their buffoon quota.

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,033 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony J. Pierzynski View Post

Never change, big guy.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to GovClintonTyree For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-28-2017)

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    What is wrong with Frank Thomas? I will always respect him for basically begging for steroid testing way back in the 90s. Pretty much unheard of by a player back then.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    AJ was on I believe the TBS or MLB Network broadcast team 2 years ago during the postseason and I thought he was very good. Made a lot of good points and a smooth delivery.

I just wish that we could get rid of Chip.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Arod was surprisingly excellent last post season. Very insightful and explained things very well.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post
    Idk how AJ will do, but I will say I enjoyed ARod and Rose last year during the playoffs. They had pretty good chemistry IMO. Hopefully he works out for them
    Yeah because they both cheated the game.

Arizona Fall Leaguer Anthony J. Pierzynski's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Thought you guys might like to see how I'm crushing my new gig.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony J. Pierzynski For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (04-28-2017)