Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BBA Honors Drew Waters

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts

BBA Honors Drew Waters

Drew Waters has been named as the midseason Braves Minor Leaguer of the Year.

The 20-year-old switch-hitter currently leads the Southern League with a .328 average, 20 doubles, eight triples and 40 runs scored.

The Woodstock, Ga., native was the second round pick in the 2017 draft.

Almost enough to let you forget that No. 1 pick Kyle Wright has yet to deliver on his promise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Drew Waters has been named as the midseason Braves Minor Leaguer of the Year.

The 20-year-old switch-hitter currently leads the Southern League with a .328 average, 20 doubles, eight triples and 40 runs scored.

The Woodstock, Ga., native was the second round pick in the 2017 draft.

Almost enough to let you forget that No. 1 pick Kyle Wright has yet to deliver on his promise.
    Waters hasn’t even made it to either level Wright has struggled at yet so that’s a statement I’d be careful about throwing around considering Wright has already seen major league action in 2 season.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-16-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    Wright is a bum. Been saying it since well before we drafted him. College pitching sucks ass. They are why bad teams stay bad. Tire of this **** like Wright, Gilmartin, and Hursh. Floor of a #4 starter? Not one of them developed into even a #5. Would be ecstatic if Wright could just be as good as Dan Winkler.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Wright is a bum. Been saying it since well before we drafted him. College pitching sucks ass. They are why bad teams stay bad. Tire of this **** like Wright, Gilmartin, and Hursh. Floor of a #4 starter? Not one of them developed into even a #5. Would be ecstatic if Wright could just be as good as Dan Winkler.
    Seems like a rational and well thought out comment.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

rico43 (06-16-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Yeah comparing Wright to either of those 2 is laughable. Most thought Wright was going number 1 overall. What a dumb take.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,709 Posts
    I acknowledge it was a good "value" pick but the Braves failed to trade him to get the most out of that value. It's certainly a lot better than drafting a defensive first college catcher with a top 10 pick. I am sure that's going to turn out well.

I love Waters though. 80 grade baseball name.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Wright has been a disappointment. There is no malice, or ambiguity, about that statement. So has Wentz. Doesn't mean they won't turn it around, but we always knew the law of averages meant that some of the young arms the Braves grabbed would fail to pan out.

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Wright has been a disappointment. There is no malice, or ambiguity, about that statement. So has Wentz. Doesn't mean they won't turn it around, but we always knew the law of averages meant that some of the young arms the Braves grabbed would fail to pan out.
    How has Wright been a disappointment this early in his career. Yet you’re saying Waters is great. Wright has been at the MLB level and will be back there, waters is still a long ways off.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    I love how everyone says we should have trade x player before they lost value as if they knew they would lose value.
    Coppy

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-16-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter31 View Post
    How has Wright been a disappointment this early in his career. Yet you’re saying Waters is great. Wright has been at the MLB level and will be back there, waters is still a long ways off.
    Thank you... exactly my point. Malice or not it wasn’t a well thought out statement

Mashin' to Mississippi
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter31 View Post
    Um... He’s not a long ways off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IslandBrave View Post
    Um... He’s not a long ways off.
    With that walk rate and a .450+ BABIP... yeah, he is

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Fangraphs disagrees

Pache 15 (60)
    Riley 25 (55)
    Anderson 35 (55)
    Waters 37 (55)
    Wright 44 (55)
    Contreras 47 (50)
    Gohara 63 (50)
    Wilson 72 (50)

Waters has over 1100 career PA with a .400 babip. He seems to sustain a high one

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    Not really, there are players who have done similarly and done just fine, obviously the numbers will drop a bit but some players just have high BABIP in the minors. For example, here are Starling Marte's minor league numbers, which I think Waters is doing a decent job of imitating so far in some ways:

In AA Marte had a .332/.370/.500 slash line with a .390 BABIP, in A+ Marte had a .424 BABIP and a .315/.386/.432 line, A ball a .400 BABIP and .312/.377/.439 line. The only that concerns me with Water is the k rate, hopefully he gets it down below 25% going forward.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to auyushu For This Useful Post:

Jaw (06-16-2019), jpx7 (06-16-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    Not really, there are players who have done similarly and done just fine, obviously the numbers will drop a bit but some players just have high BABIP in the minors. For example, here are Starling Marte's minor league numbers, which I think Waters is doing a decent job of imitating so far in some ways:

In AA Marte had a .332/.370/.500 slash line with a .390 BABIP, in A+ Marte had a .424 BABIP and a .315/.386/.432 line, A ball a .400 BABIP and .312/.377/.439 line. The only that concerns me with Water is the k rate, hopefully he gets it down below 25% going forward.
    It’s not just the BABIP... it’s that coupled with the k rate and bb rate. I don’t know how you can just gloss over the BB rate which has not improved at all. That’s much more concerning than a K rate

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

Jaw (06-16-2019), jpx7 (06-16-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Fangraphs disagrees

Pache 15 (60)
    Riley 25 (55)
    Anderson 35 (55)
    Waters 37 (55)
    Wright 44 (55)
    Contreras 47 (50)
    Gohara 63 (50)
    Wilson 72 (50)

Waters has over 1100 career PA with a .400 babip. He seems to sustain a high one
    .400 and .450+ is quite a bit different. And how does Fangraphs disagree? When have I ever said Waters wasn’t a great prospect. I simply said he wasn’t close yet and had some things to work on. How does being ranked 37 on the list mean he’s ready for the majors? It’s be awesome if posters actually read threads but reading comprehension is hard. I simply said he’s far off... nothing about his pedigree as a prospect so please actually try and read the actual words

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    .400 and .450+ is quite a bit different. And how does Fangraphs disagree? When have I ever said Waters wasn’t a great prospect. I simply said he wasn’t close yet and had some things to work on. How does being ranked 37 on the list mean he’s ready for the majors? It’s be awesome if posters actually read threads but reading comprehension is hard. I simply said he’s far off... nothing about his pedigree as a prospect so please actually try and read the actual words
    He's in AA mashing with 2 spots potentially opening up next season in the OF. I don't consider him that far off.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (06-16-2019)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    261 Posts
    It’s not just the BABIP... it’s that coupled with the k rate and bb rate. I don’t know how you can just gloss over the BB rate which has not improved at all. That’s much more concerning than a K rate
    Gee I dunno, maybe because there have been many players over the years that have succeeded with low walk rates? I mean yeah, I'd much rather see a player with a high walk rate than not obviously, but low walk rates are in no way a definite sign of huge concern. As long as the player has good defense and speed (Waters is plus in both areas by all accounts) then the player can easily be extremely valuable even with a walk rate in the 4-5% range. Starling Marte, Javier Baez, Adalberto Mondesi, Eddie Rosario, and Jonathon Schoop are all current guys that fit that profile.

K rate on the other hand tends to have huge correlation to bust rate, having that K rate near 30% is a big worry. Low walk rate, eh, it's not ideal but given his other skills not a gigantic concern, and as he develops more power it will likely go up as a side effect a little bit.

And he is on pace to be ready/called up around the middle of next season, if that's "far off" I'm not sure what your definition of close is.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to auyushu For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (06-16-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auyushu View Post
    Gee I dunno, maybe because there have been many players over the years that have succeeded with low walk rates? I mean yeah, I'd much rather see a player with a high walk rate than not obviously, but low walk rates are in no way a definite sign of huge concern. As long as the player has good defense and speed (Waters is plus in both areas by all accounts) then the player can easily be extremely valuable even with a walk rate in the 4-5% range. Starling Marte, Javier Baez, Adalberto Mondesi, Eddie Rosario, and Jonathon Schoop are all current guys that fit that profile.

K rate on the other hand tends to have huge correlation to bust rate, having that K rate near 30% is a big worry. Low walk rate, eh, it's not ideal but given his other skills not a gigantic concern, and as he develops more power it will likely go up as a side effect a little bit.

And he is on pace to be ready/called up around the middle of next season, if that's "far off" I'm not sure what your definition of close is.
    Oh my lord I never even suggested he won’t succeed. I just was saying he has quite a bit to still work on that’s hidden from his surface stats. He may be called up middle next year but If he doesn’t improve those rates he likely won’t succeed.

Danville Rookie
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    109 Posts
    Waters SO’s are way down in the last few weeks. He has adjusted to Double A....not too worried about it.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ball4life32 For This Useful Post:

Garmel (06-16-2019), Jaw (06-16-2019)