Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Prospect digest 10 prospect listing

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    You don't move from the worst farm to a top 3 in 2 years a grade the GM with a C. That is overly pessimistic.. Look at the talent traded.. We traded good players.. not perianal all stars. Kimbrell was the cream of the crop and we attached BJ to him. I think we can question certain FO moves and certainly not give them an A+.. but they still have amassed a large pool of high upside talent. And that is to be commended. I think if Newk and one of the top three from 2016 draft (Ian, Muller, wentz) goes south this year, then his grade drops to a C for me. I am sitting on a solid B and if Newk steps up he moves to the A- territory.

I am sorry, but Newk is tied to a generational talent (defensively) and Ian, Muller, Wentz will always be tied together for me. We passed on better talent to pool the money. I won't believe anything else personally. so those two deals are the fulcrum of my evaluation...

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    No Ryan Weber?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (02-07-2017), Tapate50 (02-07-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    You don't move from the worst farm to a top 3 in 2 years a grade the GM with a C. That is overly pessimistic.. Look at the talent traded.. We traded good players.. not perianal all stars. Kimbrell was the cream of the crop and we attached BJ to him. I think we can question certain FO moves and certainly not give them an A+.. but they still have amassed a large pool of high upside talent. And that is to be commended. I think if Newk and one of the top three from 2016 draft (Ian, Muller, wentz) goes south this year, then his grade drops to a C for me. I am sitting on a solid B and if Newk steps up he moves to the A- territory.

I am sorry, but Newk is tied to a generational talent (defensively) and Ian, Muller, Wentz will always be tied together for me. We passed on better talent to pool the money. I won't believe anything else personally. so those two deals are the fulcrum of my evaluation...
    It all depends on how much credit you give Coppy for Stewart making a terrible deal. Given all his other moves, I think Coppy was just lucky to be the beneficiary of Stewart making a bad deal. Right place, right time.

If you blow up a team, fleece the dumbest GM in the game for Swanson and Inciarte, and then pick at the top of the draft, you better have a Top 5 system in the game. I think any competent GM would have done similarly well.

A good GM would have acquired assets that have increased in value since their acquisition. A good GM would have realized rebuilding teams don't need to free up money for non-competitive years by attaching BJ to Kimbrel. A good GM would understand position players are more valuable than pitching prospects, and would build the sys

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    It all depends on how much credit you give Coppy for Stewart making a terrible deal. Given all his other moves, I think Coppy was just lucky to be the beneficiary of Stewart making a bad deal. Right place, right time.

If you blow up a team, fleece the dumbest GM in the game for Swanson and Inciarte, and then pick at the top of the draft, you better have a Top 5 system in the game. I think any competent GM would have done similarly well.

A good GM would have acquired assets that have increased in value since their acquisition. A good GM would have realized rebuilding teams don't need to free up money for non-competitive years by attaching BJ to Kimbrel. A good GM would understand position players are more valuable than pitching prospects, and would build the sys
    And just like that...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post

Why are hitters more valuable than pitchers?
    Natural Immunity Croc

The Artist Formally Known as

Ventura's Stolen Bases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    213 Posts
    Being at the right place at the right time and convincing a sucker to trade with you is a skill. If it were that easy to convince a fool to trade with you, other teams would have had more lopsided trades with the Diamondbacks. We had two as it happened, which is pretty impressive considering both were huge robberies.

A fool and his money may be easily parted, but it takes skill to be the one it's parted to twice.

I would also argue Touki's stock is on the rise and D Pete is slightly more highly thought of than at the time of the Upton trade. Similar with a lot of our acquired guys, actually.
    Last edited by Managuarantano's Volunteers; 02-07-2017 at 08:02 PM.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    And just like that...
    I mean he does have a valid point. Take away the Shelby heist (which we all agree was a unrealistic lucky return),and the rebuild is in a much different place. A good GM "should" be able to build a farm by trading most of his assets(See SD, And W Sox for examples). Coppy has done that and I like many of his moves. I give him a solid B, the with chance to be even an A+ depending on how our pitching prospects turn out.

They did change strategy mid way through this rebuild. These were the things I have not agreed with.
    1. We had no reason to clear BJ's contract that quick. Weren't going to be competitive and could have gotten a huge return for Kimbrel.
    2. HO trade was the biggest "what the??" Of the rebuild. Gave away assets and got nothing in return.
    3. Should have done way better on the Simmons trade.
    If these trades were handled better, we would have the best farm hands down. We "theoretically" could have another four to five high end prospects.

All in all he has done well though, and the Shelby trade basically cancels out the harm of the HO trade...which still to this day baffles my mind.
    Last edited by TheBravos; 02-07-2017 at 08:13 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (02-07-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    If we don't trade BJ do we have Touki?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Yes, by not signing Markakis, which was not a rebuild move.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBravos For This Useful Post:

cajunrevenge (02-07-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Yes, by not signing Markakis, which was not a rebuild move.
    Bottoming out to the extent youre talking about has other ramifications not included in your analysis.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    We did bottom out lol. At one point last year, we were on course to have the worst record and maybe the worst offense in baseball...ever.

When rebuilding (just like this year), if you sign vets...it's to short term reasonable deals. You just don't sign a vet coming off neck surgery never the less, to a 10+ mil a year deal over four years. The only way you do that, is if you plan to not do a full rebuild (which they didn't in the beginning). They could have signed a productive vet on a short term deal.

I've given Coppy props. I said I have liked many things he has done. Surely you don't like every move has made? Do you?
    Last edited by TheBravos; 02-07-2017 at 08:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    We did bottom out lol. At one point last year, we were on course to have the worst record and maybe the worst offense in baseball...ever.

When rebuilding (just like this year), if you sign vets...it's to short term reasonable deals. You just don't sign a vet coming off neck surgery never the less, to a 10+ mil a year deal over four years. The only way you do that, is if you plan to not do a full rebuild (which they didn't in the beginning). They could have signed a productive vet the a short term deal.

I've given Coppy props. I said I have liked many things he has done. Surely you don't like every move has made? Do you?
    I don't like to judge deals after the fact so the HO trade isn't as bad as people describe it. It ended up to be a disaster but I thought the needed to trade Wood ASAP. The scouting community seemed to love HO. He just ended up being terrible at everything including life.

The trade I like the least is the Mallex deal. I think we got great value but I just really wanted to see what Mallex could do at the top of the order.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Would you rather have Touki or Margot?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Would you rather have Touki or Margot?
    Was margot available when we traded Kimbrel?

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Was margot available when we traded Kimbrel?
    Did we have to trade Kimbrel then?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    I like this site. As has been pointed out he is just scouting the stat lines but I dont think he is unaware of the actual scouting part. I doubt he would have Gohara that high if he was throwing 89 mph fastballs. If he did include that part he would just be regurigitating what he read from someone else. I wish he had gone to 20. This site is going on...... the list.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Did we have to trade Kimbrel then?
    So you would have been comfortable holding onto a close in a meaningless year with risk of injury?

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    I don't like to judge deals after the fact so the HO trade isn't as bad as people describe it. It ended up to be a disaster but I thought the needed to trade Wood ASAP. The scouting community seemed to love HO. He just ended up being terrible at everything including life.

The trade I like the least is the Mallex deal. I think we got great value but I just really wanted to see what Mallex could do at the top of the order.
    Think about this. We have Inciarte, and Albies almost here. Do you really want three quick guys with no pop in the same line-up. Wasn't a given he would hit for average either. I think the original plan was to trade Inciarte, but he played so well...they just couldn't. That was the writing on the wall for him. I thought it was a weird trade at first, but not sure they could have gotten much more...only time will tell.

Not me on HO.

My jaw was on the ground when I found out we had given our #1 prospect (I didn't care for him but he was highly rated and could have brought a nice return), and Wood (young controllable pitcher who would have brought a nice return) and others for a 30 + year old HO (an absolutely unproven player at that). I had a pit in my stomach from the first time I heard it. What team fights to sign a guy to a big deal only to turn around a trade him that fast unless they don't like what they see?

His domestic violence charge actually helped us, because they would have kept his sorry butt for a long time because of what they gave up.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    So you would have been comfortable holding onto a close in a meaningless year with risk of injury?
    I LOVED Kimbrel, but it "did" make sense to trade him. I just hated the deal.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Better than using his value to clear Melvin off the books.