Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mfree80 View Post
    By all reports, he was destroying the clubhouse. Even in a rebuild, chemistry matters. It must have been really bad for them to want him gone that badly.
    I don't remember that. All I remember was BJ and Hart going golfing plenty during ST and the offseason.
    Forever Fredi

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    By all reports, he was destroying the clubhouse. Even in a rebuild, chemistry matters. It must have been really bad for them to want him gone that badly.
    You sign a guy like Gomes who will jack him up. And BTW what clubhouse was their to destroy. Who's feelings in the clubhouse were they concerned about? Freddie?

The whole bad clubhouse guy only makes a difference if the negativity is harming the teams ability to win. Those teams weren't going to win anyway.

Bad excuse.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsehide Harry View Post
    You sign a guy like Gomes who will jack him up. And BTW what clubhouse was their to destroy. Who's feelings in the clubhouse were they concerned about? Freddie?

The whole bad clubhouse guy only makes a difference if the negativity is harming the teams ability to win. Those teams weren't going to win anyway.

Bad excuse.
    Yeah, I mean considering they had already traded Justin, Heyward, Kimbrel, Gattis at that point, were they really thinking Freddie would feel better about the whole thing?
    Forever Fredi

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Exactly.

The whole argument that you have to put ML players out there during a rebuild (defense of the Markakis signing and to an extent the Kemp trade) goes out the window if you just keep and play the guy you're paying big money to. Would the Braves have lost a game or two more with BJ in the OF instead of Markakis? Surely. But what difference does it make? So the Braves draft first instead of fifth. So 10,000 less fans show up to the park in 2016.

And there's always the possibility BJ goes on a streak of good play that convinces people enough that he has turned it around where you could trade him on his own merits, if for virtually nothing.

The same thing for Bourn and Nick Swisher. If you're going to trade Johnson for them then cut them why not just cut Johnson. Sure the Braves got some cash coming back in the deal but why not just let Bourn and Swisher play out there contracts badly filling roles on an already bad team?

The FO never committed to a true rebuild. They wanted to hamstring themselves by shooting for ugly mediocrity, then failed to achieve that.

they didn't cut Johnson because that would have been a sunk salary and they were able to trade some money in the short term for quicker payroll flexibility later. That was a good trade. You created quicker payroll relief at short term cost. The Braves then could hold out some hope that the return would be more productive than expected and possibly even flippable if that happened.

I have no objection to that trade and think it was good.

They could have eaten the Upton contract and we know that he never recovered any value really. The Padres ate his deal to ship him off after he was minimally respectable as a fourth OF. He was then cut and possibly out of the majors permanently pretty quickly after that.

It seems apparent that Atlanta valued a shorter term flexibility of payroll at the very least. And if he was a cancer then that was another reason to move him. Real life intruding on numbers there.

Eating his salary or attaching him to Kimbrell is certainly a valid discussion. No one at the time as far as I can tell thought the Braves made a bad decision. Several observers thought it was a clear win.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    The clubhouse stories are typical ex-bravesitis

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    The clubhouse stories are typical ex-bravesitis
    BJ legitimately did suck in the clubhouse. Whether or not that should have been a reason to trade him is debatable. I don't think it really should have been. But as always, these discussions fail to consider what we were then able to use his money on elsewhere.

But BJ sucked in the clubhouse.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    they didn't cut Johnson because that would have been a sunk salary and they were able to trade some money in the short term for quicker payroll flexibility later. That was a good trade. You created quicker payroll relief at short term cost. The Braves then could hold out some hope that the return would be more productive than expected and possibly even flippable if that happened.

I have no objection to that trade and think it was good.

They could have eaten the Upton contract and we know that he never recovered any value really. The Padres ate his deal to ship him off after he was minimally respectable as a fourth OF. He was then cut and possibly out of the majors permanently pretty quickly after that.

It seems apparent that Atlanta valued a shorter term flexibility of payroll at the very least. And if he was a cancer then that was another reason to move him. Real life intruding on numbers there.

Eating his salary or attaching him to Kimbrell is certainly a valid discussion. No one at the time as far as I can tell thought the Braves made a bad decision. Several observers thought it was a clear win.
    Not saying that the Johnson deal was bad. It wasn't. Saying cutting Bourn and Swisher and eating their salaries then bringing in backfill of no better talent but additional cost made no sense for a rebuilding team.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Not saying that the Johnson deal was bad. It wasn't. Saying cutting Bourn and Swisher and eating their salaries then bringing in backfill of no better talent but additional cost made no sense for a rebuilding team.
    While you are not wrong, another way of looking at that might be... If you move an old expensive guy to bring in a young guy who may or may not be any better... but you might catch lightning in a bottle, is the kind of risk that might be worthwhile for a rebuilding team. I don't remember who took their places immediately, but if it was guys who were later traded, or were young and inexpensive then it is not so bad.

If it was Markakis (who came the following year) then at least you got a good clubhouse guy who didn't kill you.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    While you are not wrong, another way of looking at that might be... If you move an old expensive guy to bring in a young guy who may or may not be any better... but you might catch lightning in a bottle, is the kind of risk that might be worthwhile for a rebuilding team. I don't remember who took their places immediately, but if it was guys who were later traded, or were young and inexpensive then it is not so bad.

If it was Markakis (who came the following year) then at least you got a good clubhouse guy who didn't kill you.
    The idea should have been to bring in as many Adonis Garcia's as possible, and use the playing time to find a late bloomer.

Finding one single solitary late bloomer would have been infinitely more valuable than all the contributions from all these old "steady veterans" combined.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Chris Johnson was in good graces because of connection to Larry Wayne Jones Sr. and recommendation from Chippper. Opinions from message board loiterers did not receive careful consideration.

That said, isn't this supposed to be an Acuna thread?

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    BJ legitimately did suck in the clubhouse. Whether or not that should have been a reason to trade him is debatable. I don't think it really should have been. But as always, these discussions fail to consider what we were then able to use his money on elsewhere.

What is this based on? I am legitimately curious because I know him and the family. Actually about to play some golf with his Dad. Whether or not he is a good player, he is a good dude and I would be surprised if he caused issues in the clubhouse.
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts

I'm sure it was a hard decision, but it was going to come to a head somehow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    What is this based on? I am legitimately curious because I know him and the family. Actually about to play some golf with his Dad. Whether or not he is a good player, he is a good dude and I would be surprised if he caused issues in the clubhouse.
    Just did a search on this and couldnt find anything

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    It's all conjecture. I remember a couple of times when Fredi pulled him from games and he was visibly upset. That could apply to a lot of guys. I think one of the problems is the team didn't seem to respond to Gonzalez' leadership, but, again, that's all conjecture as well. Melvin just never seemed to be a fit for whatever reason.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    It is not conjecture.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    It's not black and white. Unless it's black, in which it's obvious.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    It is not conjecture.
    What is it based on? What did he do?
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    What is it based on? What did he do?
    He sucked and it pissed fans off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    It is not conjecture.
    You keep saying this as if it is fact yet have produced no evidence to it

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    He sucked and it pissed fans off.
    He also tweeted this Homeland spoiler one time.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

thewupk (08-22-2017)