Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Machado or MooseTacos deal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Of course I would love to have Machado. It’s not going to happen. I will be glad to come on here and announce that I was dead wrong. It ain’t gonna happen though.

I’m not really worried about 3rd starting next year. It will not be a hole. We will not have a super star there, but will have above average production from that spot.

I want to have the money to sign our young core guys two years down the road.

Would you rather have Machado, or Newk, Soroka and Folty to long term deals...that’s what it will come down to. You would definitely loose Freeman past his current contract also. I would rather have Freeman all day long to an extension.
    No, I don't want to sign starting pitchers to long term deals because their arms fall off too easily... I don't know you can just assume we will have above average production at 3rd... Riley doesn't guarantee that, no one on the roster guarantees that. Machado and a reliever makes us easily a legit contender this year.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    No, I don't want to sign starting pitchers to long term deals because their arms fall off too easily.
    Feels like the long term pitching contracts (Sabathia, Scherzer, Grienke) have held up better than the hitters (Pujols, Fielder, Cabrera, Teixera, etc.)

I think it's because elite pitchers can still be effective in their 30's... whereas elite hitters just can't keep up with the velocity as they age

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (06-17-2018), JohnAdcox (06-20-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Feels like the long term pitching contracts (Sabathia, Scherzer, Grienke) have held up better than the hitters (Pujols, Fielder, Cabrera, Teixera, etc.)

I think it's because elite pitchers can still be effective in their 30's... whereas elite hitters just can't keep up with the velocity as they age
    Certainly... but deciding which of ours will turn into and stick with elite/healthy status could be a roll of the dice. All the hitters you named are First Baseman... Cabrera and Fielder were very out of shape and didn't care to get in shape. Pujols really suffered from injuries but has still at least been a solid player (until last year really) into his late 30s... Teixera also was not very athletic and suffered from injuries and hit 30 homers at the age of 35.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    This would be Teheran’s last year of control without the extension.

The supposed value of his extension was controlling next season and getting an option for 2020.

If Teheran were a free agent, would anyone even want Atlanta to try and re-sign him at any price?
    Why wouldn't you?

The answer would be "no" if you're 100% convinced there's no regression lurking in Folty and Newk's futures and if you're an absolute believer in Gohara, Allard, or Wright as members of the 2019 rotation.

Are you that guy?

If you don't keep Julio for depth, your current choices for "wily veteran SPs" are McCarthy and Anibal. Which of those three would you prefer to keep around - especially if you plan on contending?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Outskirts Of Mobile, Alabama. Roll Tide!!!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,798 Posts
    Got an alert on my phone saying the Orioles and Diamondbacks are discussing with Machado being the conversation.
    Chopping With The Braves And Rolling With The Tide

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts

Miggy was actually still churning along pretty well this year before the biceps injury. Not elite anymore, but still a good hitter. His 2017 was likely due in large part to the back injury he suffered in the WBC. You also have Joey Votto continuing to play at a high level into his mid 30's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    Miggy was actually still churning along pretty well this year before the biceps injury. Not elite anymore, but still a good hitter. His 2017 was likely due in large part to the back injury he suffered in the WBC. You also have Joey Votto continuing to play at a high level into his mid 30's.
    Miggy will be the worst contract in MLB history and his injury this year is only a small part of that

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,287 Posts
    Miggy will be the worst contract in MLB history and his injury this year is only a small part of that
    If Miggy’s contract is the worst, Chris Davis’s is the second worst. -2 WAR this year and signed through 2022 with annual payments due to him through 2037. What in the world was Angelos thinking with that one

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    If Miggy’s contract is the worst, Chris Davis’s is the second worst. -2 WAR this year and signed through 2022 with annual payments due to him through 2037. What in the world was Angelos thinking with that one
    Miggy owed $162M AFTER this year

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Yeah Miggy's contract is easily the worst ever in history. It is almost insane how much money is left. It's not even close to Chris Davis.

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    If Harper continues to be Gorman Thomas, Jack Clark or Dave Kingman, do you feel it is risky giving him 40 mil a year?
    Last edited by AerchAngel; 06-19-2018 at 09:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AerchAngel View Post
    If Harper continues to be Gorman Thoma, Jack Clark or Dave Kingman, do you feel it is risky giving him 40 mil a year?
    Yeah I don't know if I'd touch Harper with a 60 foot pole at this point given what he will cost on name alone

Secretary of Statistics AerchAngel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    882 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Yeah I don't know if I'd touch Harper with a 60 foot pole at this point given what he will cost on name alone
    Aw HELL NAW would be my answer. One year Rob Deer, 50 bombs, 160 k's .210, then Miggy Cabrera 40 bombs, 120k's and batting .310.

Too risky for me that would take up 33% of your payroll.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,287 Posts
    Miggy owed $162M AFTER this year
    Except there’s still a good possibility that’s Miggy will provide at least some value. Davis is below replacement already and still owed a $110 million after this year.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-20-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,895 Posts
    Except there’s still a good possibility that’s Miggy will provide at least some value. Davis is below replacement already and still owed a $110 million after this year.
    This.
    Ivermectin Man

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    This.
    Yea, the Davis deal is way worse, if for no other reason than Cabrera was a generational talent to bet on, and Davis clearly wasn’t. Tough that injuries have felled Cabrera—but, like Enscheff belabors, time is rarely kind to 1Bs, even “athletic” ones like Pujols or Cabrera, who both began their careers at other positions.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts

Those hitters all have one thing in common.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Yea, the Davis deal is way worse, if for no other reason than Cabrera was a generational talent to bet on, and Davis clearly wasn’t. Tough that injuries have felled Cabrera—but, like Enscheff belabors, time is rarely kind to 1Bs, even “athletic” ones like Pujols or Cabrera, who both began their careers at other positions.
    Words to remember when the extent Freeman crowd gets too rowdy.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Words to remember when the extent Freeman crowd gets too rowdy.
    Which member of that crowd has "gotten rowdy"?

People that have mentioned an extension have talked about tacking on a couple years to his deal to keep him here as long as you've got control of Acuna/Albies/Swanson and most of the current group of Pitchers - at what point has anyone mentioned a Miggy or Davis-like contract for him in his late 30s?
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    No position group ages particularly well. 1B tends to be better than some.

I think the bigger lesson is that you are probably going to regret committing to pay a lot of money to a player in their mid and late 30s.

Or perhaps to any player at all.

In truth, Texeira, Pujols, and Cabrera aged pretty gracefully. Cabrera might still be awesome when healthy.

Fielder really got hurt before he got very far into his decline.

If you are making a decision on Freddie, you'd probably do better looking at his hitting profile and compare him to guys you think had similar body types, athleticism, work ethic. And you'd still have a pretty good chance of being wrong.