Page 24 of 143 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474124 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Trade Deadline ROSTERBATION

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesguy View Post
    I am all over deGrom, but it would take 2 premium prospects. I dont give soroka unless you think Wright is better.

Wright (or Soroka ) + Wentz (or Anderson) + filler (i would like to include Tehran)
    I'll echo what was said earlier in the thread, but trading for an ace would be a bad idea. It is the best way to make darn sure that we shrink our competitive window, and its not something I think we particularly need at the moment.

Called Up to the Major Leagues ixiXSolidXixi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    155 Posts
    Just asking... If the Braves don’t have enough money to make trades why they don’t offer Julio Teheran let say for Moustakas?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ixiXSolidXixi View Post
    Just asking... If the Braves don’t have enough money to make trades why they don’t offer Julio Teheran let say for Moustakas?
    It wouldn't make sense for the Royals, who are years away from competing. They need to get future value for Moose, not current value.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    I'll echo what was said earlier in the thread, but trading for an ace would be a bad idea. It is the best way to make darn sure that we shrink our competitive window, and its not something I think we particularly need at the moment.
    Look, I LOVE Soroka, but on his best day...he may never be as good as Degrom. That’s not saying anything against Soroka...Degrom is that good.

If they ask for a package of say Soroka, one of Allard or Wright, and one of our top position players (I would try to get them to take Jenista...he seems like the Met’s type). That’s three 1st round/1st round talents. Then throw in say some guy like a Cumberland. That’s a strong package.

That’s ALOT to give up, but does it really hurt us that bad??

Still have:
    Starters: Degrom, Folty, Newk, Gohara, Julio, McCarthy and Sanchez.

Still would have all our position players we like, Pache, Riley, Waters, Etc

Still have an absolute buttload of starting prospects.

Why wouldn’t we do that? He’s almost an automatic playoff win?!?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Look, I LOVE Soroka, but on his best day...he may never be as good as Degrom. That’s not saying anything against Soroka...Degrom is that good.

If they ask for a package of say Soroka, one of Allard or Wright, and one of our top position players (I would try to get them to take Jenista...he seems like the Met’s type). That’s three 1st round/1st round talents. Then throw in say some guy like a Cumberland. That’s a strong package.

That’s ALOT to give up, but does it really hurt us that bad??

Still have:
    Starters: Degrom, Folty, Newk, Gohara, Julio, McCarthy and Sanchez.

Still would have all our position players we like, Pache, Riley, Waters, Etc

Still have an absolute buttload of starting prospects.

Why wouldn’t we do that? He’s almost an automatic playoff win?!?!
    Sorry I'm just not too big on trading my stud 20 year old pitching prospect (and as just ONE piece of many!) who may be a great pitcher for years to come for a 30 year old pitcher who relies on power and who's arm could fall off anytime.

And we DON'T need him!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    didn't Soroka outpitch DeGrom a week ago
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-21-2018), Managuarantano's Volunteers (06-22-2018), Tapate50 (06-21-2018), UNCBlue012 (06-22-2018)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Sorry I'm just not too big on trading my stud 20 year old pitching prospect (and as just ONE piece of many!) who may be a great pitcher for years to come for a 30 year old pitcher who relies on power and who's arm could fall off anytime.

And we DON'T need him!!
    I’m not saying I would be for it. If it “did” happen, I’m not sure it would shorten our window (as was suggested). We have a ton ton of pitching prospects and at some point...some have to move.

I have to admit that a playoff rotation of Degrom, Folty and Newk is probably is about as good as any.

I would say “no thanks” if it was up to me. I will say I wouldn’t really be mad if it happened either. It’s a gamble, but it could sure pay off.
    Last edited by TheBravos; 06-21-2018 at 10:22 PM.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    trading for a #1 pitcher is the surest way to make our competitive window a good deal shorter
    And actually be competitive though.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan Black View Post
    He hasn't shown good control (7 walks in 25.2 IP), and he hits the top and middle of the zone a lot for someone who has good control.

I get that he's 20, but the reports on him were he knew how to pitch and he had good control. I'm saying I haven't seen that. His really good starts were against an anemic offense, and his other three starts were pretty terrible. Sure he has room to develop, but DeGrom is already that guy. He's already the guy you start three times during the World Series if you have to.
    You realize only 7 walks in 25+ innings is actually good don't you?

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-21-2018), Managuarantano's Volunteers (06-22-2018)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    The fact is the Yankees and Astros would have a 7 game lead on us if they were in our division. I don’t think even adding Degrom would put us over the top (unless it was Degrom and Machado and that would hurt the farm and our future). Even then...I’m not sure we would be even, but it would be much closer. 2019 is really still the year to me. No need to jump the gun. This year has been great, but I still don’t see us winning the NL. The team is just too young. That’s not a bad thing at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NinersSBChamps View Post
    And actually be competitive though.
    Guess you haven't been watching or paying attention

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,757 Posts
    The fact is the Yankees and Astros would have a 7 game lead on us if they were in our division. I don’t think even adding Degrom would put us over the top (unless it was Degrom and Machado and that would hurt the farm and our future). Even then...I’m not sure we would be even, but it would be much closer. 2019 is really still the year to me. No need to jump the gun. This year has been great, but I still don’t see us winning the NL. The team is just too young. That’s not a bad thing at all.
    Make the playoffs... Anything could happen

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,974 Posts
    That 2015 Mets team was really young too. They came a few outs away from a WS title. Anything can happen in the playoffs. Juggernauts falter and 85 win WC teams get hot and win it all.

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Guess you haven't been watching or paying attention
    Pretty much correct. I will check out a box score here and there and if time allows I will watch a bit on my phone. Sure they have a nice record, but let’s see where they are in September and if they are playing meaningful games in October. Win 90 games and do nothing in the post season will not be a good season.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Pretty much correct. I will check out a box score here and there and if time allows I will watch a bit on my phone. Sure they have a nice record, but let’s see where they are in September and if they are playing meaningful games in October. Win 90 games and do nothing in the post season will not be a good season.
    Lol

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Garmel (06-22-2018), jpx7 (06-22-2018), Managuarantano's Volunteers (06-22-2018), Ozzie Swanson (06-22-2018), Super (06-22-2018), UNCBlue012 (06-22-2018)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carp View Post
    That 2015 Mets team was really young too. They came a few outs away from a WS title. Anything can happen in the playoffs. Juggernauts falter and 85 win WC teams get hot and win it all.

And the Mets apparently never had the window they thought they would have.

I'm not saying Atlanta needs to go for it. But I don't see why you would have to feel good about winning the world series to give it a shot. If you could gets yourself to the World Series that would seem like it would be worth it. You never know what is going to happen in the future.

I probably would not give up a haul to get DeGrom though. Not quite time yet, I don't think.

Mr. Free Trade
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    514 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post

I'm not saying Atlanta needs to go for it. But I don't see why you would have to feel good about winning the world series to give it a shot. If you could gets yourself to the World Series that would seem like it would be worth it. You never know what is going to happen in the future.

I probably would not give up a haul to get DeGrom though. Not quite time yet, I don't think.
    The Mets have more financial resources than the Braves but are still on the rebuild roller coaster. Now they are talking about potentially trading both DGrom and Syndergaard which is a signal that they are going back to square one to rebuild. And it's probably the right decision for them. Their minor league system was never that great and what talent it did produce has mostly gotten hurt or underwhelmed. Their FA signings have mostly been the roster filler as opposed to core variety.

They never really had enough young talent to thrive over a long window. They had a chance to win early with young guys and went for it, failed and are now headed for the basement again. It's a bit different than the Pirates/Rays approach which has been to play at a respectable level over a longer time but with little real hope of winning the whole thing.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    Make the playoffs... Anything could happen
    You are right. The odds are against that happening, but if it does...it does. It probably just wouldn’t be smart to make win now moves. We are not the Nationals, and our window wasn’t even supposed to be open this year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,990 Posts
    It must take a lot to make you happy.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post

It's beyond all doubt that the Braves need to add at the deadline. They are contenders now. Not next year...now.

Any professional sports GM can tear down a MLB roster to acquire young talent, or trade away a farm for win now pieces. It takes true talent to determine how much of the future to give away, and which parts to give away, to improve the club now without closing the window of contention early like the Cubs appear to be doing.

I think we have identified the areas of clear need that can be filled fairly cheaply (help in the BP vs LHers, and a 3B bat that hits RHers well) that can improve the team by 1-2 wins RoS without giving up too much future value. Those moves certainly won't turn the Braves into the Astros/Yankees/BoSox/Cubs, but that improvement will come as the young players mature naturally.

Hopefully AA has done the same exercise and drawn the same type of conclusions.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 06-22-2018 at 11:11 AM.