Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FRIDAY MINORS FINAL 7/27; Anderson finally pitches

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    LOL, not only are you an expert psychologist who is able to determine the mental state of the entire team via TV, you're also a gifted scout who compared Sims to Anderson when he was going through a rough stretch.

Can someone find his Anderson = Sims quote?
    Look back. My comparison was that they were both prep righties with good FB velocity (Anderson's FB reporredly has better movement) and excellent curves who racked up Ks but struggled with control. That's it.

No one has to look back to find you're a jackass that prefers to use argumentum ad lapidem, straw man, or ad hominem fallacies instead of actual debate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Not for me Striker. I mentioned in Rome that he just blew his straight FB by low level hitters. More than that, he was a mental wreck every time a guy got a hit. I saw some mental growth being honest but it never compensated for little movement of his FB. I like him, just never had him high I guess.
    That's fair. I bought into the high K totals and hoped he could improve his command. I still think if he could miraculously figure out how to locate he could be decent. But the straight fastball is a problem.

I'm interested in hearing comps from other people. Again, I've thrown out Nick Pivetta as far as stuff goes (not minor league stats). Who do y'all compare Anderson to?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    Folks relax. This is ridiculous piling on folks for logical comments at the time.
    Ivermectin Man

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    The situation with Anderson is how little competitive mound time he's gotten over a two-plus year period. Keep in mind that he did not have a ton on innings in his first two pro seasons. He had only 39 innings after being drafted, only 83 innings last year. He's already worked 89 innings this year.
    As a high school senior, he missed half a season with pneumonia.
    The more he works, everyone seems to agree, the sharper he'll be.

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Not for me Striker. I mentioned in Rome that he just blew his straight FB by low level hitters. More than that, he was a mental wreck every time a guy got a hit. I saw some mental growth being honest but it never compensated for little movement of his FB. I like him, just never had him high I guess.
    I think Sims gets too much criticism on this board. His "straight" fastball is dominating AAA hitters this year, but I will agree with you on the mental side.

Sims track record suggests that he lacks confidence when he first faces better competition. He tries to paint corners because he doesn't completely believe in his stuff. Once he gains confidence, the walks come down (though not to a desired level) and he pitches to much better results.

I actually think having Allard in the same rotation with Sims this year has been great for Sims. Once Sims gets his head together, he has a chance to be a solid starter for someone. I had hoped he'd het a chance to prove thst in Atlanta this year to build value, but it looks like Fried will get that chance instead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    The situation with Anderson is how little competitive mound time he's gotten over a two-plus year period. Keep in mind that he did not have a ton on innings in his first two pro seasons. He had only 39 innings after being drafted, only 83 innings last year. He's already worked 89 innings this year.
    As a high school senior, he missed half a season with pneumonia.
    The more he works, everyone seems to agree, the sharper he'll be.
    I hope you're right. He was touted as having excellent command when drafted. The wildness came out of nowhere.

I will say the pick of Anderson looks far better now with so many first rounders from that draft failing hard

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    LOL, not only are you an expert psychologist who is able to determine the mental state of the entire team via TV, you're also a gifted scout who compared Sims to Anderson when he was going through a rough stretch.

Can someone find his Anderson = Sims quote?
    Said the self-proclaimed "genius" who deals blackjack for a living and hangs out on internet message boards at 4 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OcalaBrave View Post
    I think Sims gets too much criticism on this board. His "straight" fastball is dominating AAA hitters this year, but I will agree with you on the mental side.

Sims track record suggests that he lacks confidence when he first faces better competition. He tries to paint corners because he doesn't completely believe in his stuff. Once he gains confidence, the walks come down (though not to a desired level) and he pitches to much better results.

I actually think having Allard in the same rotation with Sims this year has been great for Sims. Once Sims gets his head together, he has a chance to be a solid starter for someone. I had hoped he'd het a chance to prove thst in Atlanta this year to build value, but it looks like Fried will get that chance instead.
    it's not a criticism to say his fastball is straight. It is. Dominating is also what many AAAA pitchers have done before. I'm not a hater of Sims, just watched him from rookie ball to now and I never just stat watch. He has spurts but he even admitted the mental side is an opportunity. He's not unlike many to reach the majors with good arm but not necessarily much more.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Said the self-proclaimed "genius" who deals blackjack for a living and hangs out on internet message boards at 4 AM.
    Stated by a guy who still can’t grasp that different time zones exist lol

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Stated by a guy who still can’t grasp that different time zones exist lol
    Yet the same one who realizes there ain't much happening on a Braves' message board when you're making those posts.

Just figured it out - you must be Trump and you have nothing to tweet about during those periods.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Yet the same one who realizes there ain't much happening on a Braves' message board when you're making those posts.

Just figured it out - you must be Trump and you have nothing to tweet about during those periods.
    My 5 year old is more mature than you two

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    My 5 year old is more mature than you two
    Certainly a good thing.