5,757 Posts
    SP bigger need than RP

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (06-28-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    It wouldn’t surprise me to see them go after Stroman with AA’s ties to him if Folty craps the bed his next start.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    It wouldn’t surprise me to see them go after Stroman with AA’s ties to him if Folty craps the bed his next start.
    I hope not... he's an average pitcher who can't even strikeout 7 per 9 pitching over his head. We have enough of those guys, the only difference is they haven't been as lucky.

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    SP bigger need than RP

I keep waiting for Swarzak to implode.

Dude kind looks and reminds me of Rudy Seanez. Just quietly doing his job.
    Forever Fredi

6. The Following User Says Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-27-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Individual-1 View Post
    I keep waiting for Swarzak to implode.

Dude kind looks and reminds me of Rudy Seanez. Just quietly doing his job.
    baby faced killer
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (06-27-2019)

Swallowed by Mark Bowman
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,269 Posts
    There are times where I wonder if reliever performance is legit just completely random. Swarzak looked like he was five minutes away from being out of baseball when he traded for him, and he's been an unhittable bad-ass since coming over.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MadduxFanII For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-27-2019), Tapate50 (06-27-2019)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduxFanII View Post
    There are times where I wonder if reliever performance is legit just completely random.
    Yes.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    There are times where I wonder if reliever performance is legit just completely random. Swarzak looked like he was five minutes away from being out of baseball when he traded for him, and he's been an unhittable bad-ass since coming over.
    actually the precise moment his luck turned was against the first batter he faced as a Brave...he gave up a long fly ball than just went foul of the left field foul pole...Snit was halfway up the dugout steps to pull him out of the game as the ball hooked foul...Swarzak took a deep breath and hasn't looked back since

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    Have I become a prospect hoarder? I love the idea of Wheeler, but not for that price.
    I mean I'd rather trade Gohara or Touki (who I like, but just don't think he'll make it as a starter). But Gohara's value is tanking and it's extremely unlikely they trade Touki in-season since he's a key cog in the BP.

Honestly, I'm know I'm probably alone, but I'd rather trade Wright for Wheeler straight up. Wright just hasn't impressed me at any point really, aside from a few ST starts this year. I don't really care about his ERA in AAA right now, b/c I'm sure the FO wants him specifically working on something, but the bottom line is he has hasn't dominated at any point since we drafted.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

Jaw (06-28-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    It's more likely the Braves superior coaching/analytics staff fixed a minor issue with Swarzak that was affecting his control.

His BB/9 rate is back at his usual level since joining the Braves, and his FIP/xFIP have reverted to career norms along with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    Have thought for a while now that AA might make a sneaky play for Wheeler this winter, but would he really trade for him? Certainly wouldn't mind it if it doesn't cost more than the package Carp mentions, but not sure that's not just a touch rich for me - but if it were Wentz or Allard with Jenista I don't know how anybody could complain. Getting him back home and in a race for a couple months couldn't hurt if AA planned to make a move for him this winter anyway.

Heard Stern discussing potential Mutts moves yesterday, and while I don't know that Ender would be a fit there (even if they were just taking his money), one of his "musts" was doing something about CF to get Conforto back on a corner. Just tough to see them taking Ender's money without being able to somehow get out from under what they owe Lagares next year, and I can't imagine AA would want any part of it.

There's got to be a taker for Inciarte out there - that probably needs to be one of the things at the top of the To Do list this winter IMO.

I think Ender is a good bargain. I know Padres fans feel they need a LH CF for platoon with all their RH hitters.

I dont have any confidence in Wilson, Wright, or Jenista so I am more than willing to include them. If we could get Wheeler for that package and then Smith/Dyson from SF using Wright I would be more than happy. If Wright, Wilson and Jenista could get us Giles and Stroman I would so that too.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to cajunrevenge For This Useful Post:

clvclv (06-28-2019)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I hope not... he's an average pitcher who can't even strikeout 7 per 9 pitching over his head. We have enough of those guys, the only difference is they haven't been as lucky.

Stroman has never been a big K pitcher, but in the era of launch angle and now what seems like juiced balls I'd assume teams are putting some stock in pitchers with a 60% GB rate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Stroman has never been a big K pitcher, but in the era of launch angle and now what seems like juiced balls I'd assume teams are putting some stock in pitchers with a 60% GB rate.
    I've wondered about that...if there is more value now in having a high GB rate. There are several reasons why that should be the case. As you mentioned the juiced balls and higher HR/FB rate that come with that and the emphasis on launch angle. Another factor would be more efficient infield defense due to the more widespread adoption of shifts.

"I am your retribution."

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

Chico (06-28-2019), jpx7 (06-28-2019)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I've wondered about that...if there is more value now in having a high GB rate. There are several reasons why that should be the case. As you mentioned the juiced balls and higher HR/FB rate that come with that and the emphasis on launch angle. Another factor would be more efficient infield defense due to the more widespread adoption of shifts.
    Yeah, that is true. I hadn't thought of that, but if you're defending for a ground ball increasing the likelihood of that ground ball would seem to be more productive.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

NinersSBChamps (06-28-2019)

Voted Worst Poster
    2015 (Co-Winner)
    2018 (Unanimous)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,185 Posts
    Yeah, that is true. I hadn't thought of that, but if you're defending for a ground ball increasing the likelihood of that ground ball would seem to be more productive.
    Which could be the case for Toronto. They are just in the top half of the game in defensive shifts. Around 24% of the time. I don’t have the numbers specifically for Stroman, but I imagine the Blue Jays are employing a good amount of shifts while Stroman toes the rubber. Although I have heard every rubber is too small for him. I think at this point Stroman is what he is. He’s shown an ability over a decent chunk of time. He knows how to locate and pitch effectively based on his defense.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to NinersSBChamps For This Useful Post:

Chico (06-28-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Let me propose something drastic. What we need is the Zack Attack. Zack Wheeler and Zack Greinke. Both pitch 7 innings or more in about half their starts. Wheeler shouldnt be too expensive. Someone proposed Bryse Wilson/Greyson Jenista for him. That works for me. Greinke is seen as perpetually available because of his salary. Beyond this year his contract is 2 years 70 million. I think its a good short term bet at a risky position. If we could just even out the salary this year somewhat in a trade I think we can make it work. Wheeler is from Georgia so i think we have a good **** to resign him if we make a good offer. I think this would set up the rotation to be one of the best for years to come.
    Last edited by cajunrevenge; 06-30-2019 at 04:19 AM.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cajunrevenge View Post
    Let me propose something drastic. What we need is the Zack Attack. Zack Wheeler and Zack Greinke. Both pitch 7 innings or more in about half their starts. Wheeler shouldnt be too expensive. Someone proposed Bryse Wilson/Greyson Jenista for him. That works for me. Greinke is seen as perpetually available because of his salary. Beyond this year his contract is 2 years 70 million. I think its a good short term bet at a risky position. If we could just even out the salary this year somewhat in a trade I think we can make it work. Wheeler is from Georgia so i think we have a good **** to resign him if we make a good offer. I think this would set up the rotation to be one of the best for years to come.
    I mean I’m not opposed but there’s about zero chance that will happen unless they are 150% convinced Folty is done and I don’t ever see that being the case. I don’t see any scenario where JT is taken out of the rotation either and I don’t see him being traded. I also don’t think JT would be a good bullpen piece. He doesn’t have the stuff and always struggles in the first 2 innings. I can see one of them since Folty could be working his way back most of the year but no way we would trade for 2 more starters.

I supposed JT could be traded given a deal already in place for another starter but there are a ton of moving pieces there that are just not realistic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    If it was only the K rate that’d be one thing. His other peripherals show he’s been pretty lucky. He’d be an upgrade I guess but for the price of giving up real prospects. I dunno.... he’s prob a 1 win upgrade if that... I don’t think that justifies his likely price.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    I mean I’m not opposed but there’s about zero chance that will happen unless they are 150% convinced Folty is done and I don’t ever see that being the case. I don’t see any scenario where JT is taken out of the rotation either and I don’t see him being traded. I also don’t think JT would be a good bullpen piece. He doesn’t have the stuff and always struggles in the first 2 innings. I can see one of them since Folty could be working his way back most of the year but no way we would trade for 2 more starters.

I supposed JT could be traded given a deal already in place for another starter but there are a ton of moving pieces there that are just not realistic
    The stats suggest that Teheran is a lot better first time through than any other point and that’s without him expending max effort.

If you don’t like him in the pen you should hate him in the rotation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Sign me up for a Wheeler trade or a Grienke trade given the D-bags take on significant salary