Page 12 of 68 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016-2017 Off-Season Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Is this Gondeee a reliable source of information?
    In my experience, he's rarely had any sourced reporting. The his tweet was just an assessment of the type of package that would be needed to get Sale, not any sourced reporting that this type of package was offered or asked for.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    In my experience, he's rarely had any sourced reporting. The his tweet was just an assessment of the type of package that would be needed to get Sale, not any sourced reporting that this type of package was offered or asked for.
    It's interesting that it just came up though. A while ago, it was me who mentioned that there had been prior discussions about Sale, and that it'd stand to reason that it would likely re-visit during the off-season. He fit the profile of what they'd target (favorable team-friendly contract for legitimate staff ace, pitcher in an untenable situation with current club, the Braves would have the assets to acquire, etc.). Rico agreed, while others poo pooed the idea. Meantime, it's kind of pointless to even speculate that it'd take without knowing what other GM's are involved and what they might have to offer.

Now it's getting attention with even Bowman getting in on the action. It shows that those, who apparently do this for a living and supposed access, aren't in any better positions than some of us here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    I don't know how to react because even our beat writers are getting into conversations on it. That doesn't happen often.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    Of course, this could all just be another Lester 2.0 false-flag debacle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,741 Posts
    Whether its Sale or not I get the feeling a big trade is brewing. I know the talent costs look sky high but if those teams are motivated to sell we only need the best offer. Other teams don't want to give up tons of great prospects either. I think a big move for someone like Sale is likely to happen to sell tickets just as much as it will be about improving the team.
    "Donald Trump will serve a second term as president of the United States.

It’s over."

Little Thethe Nov 19, 2020.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    He's been doing his thing for about 15 years, if not longer. Gotta respect him for that. If somebody posts something he has written here I lend it more credence than I would another random blog, but don't consider him much more than a knowledgeable fan.

Maybe dak or someone can correct me, but I think he did correctly call the prospects on a major deal (before any other outlet did) within the past year or two. Perhaps the Kimbrel trade.
    IIRC, gondee broke the Gattos trade before everyone else. He caught wind that Gattis was taking a physical in Houston. Not sure if he was first in on the prospects.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chop2chip For This Useful Post:

clvclv (11-15-2016), Hawk (11-15-2016)

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Agreed, but let's continue to discuss Sale trades for a package of Jenkins, Mallex, Ellis and Dustin Peterson. All it should take is 4 "for real" prospects!!
    Here comes captain smartass even though no one said that.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Heyward For This Useful Post:

Hudson2 (11-15-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucksie View Post
    Is this Gondeee a reliable source of information?
    As far as I'm aware, he is not connected in the way that someone like Heyman or the Braves beat guys are, but he knows more than folks like us do (whatever that means). He is also able to take in all available information and make logical and realistic conclusions based on that information, which separates him from most of the other pretenders out there peddling their blogs.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    if Coppy does trade for Sale, he'd have to sign one of the bats in FA.

Justin Turner would make a ton of sense .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,993 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Heyward View Post

Trade for Sale or Archer... sign Turner and acquire a catcher... suddenly this team is pretty interesting. Depending on who we would trade obviously

13. The Following User Says Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

Knucksie (11-15-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts

Agreed there. If he is going all in he needs to go all the way in. A team that empties the farm for Chris Sale doesn't give Adonis Garcia 500+ ABs at 3B.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    And from MLBTR chat about an hour ago:

Scott
    3:04 What do you think the Braves would have to give up to get Sale?
    Steve Adams
    3:05 Think of the single most painful package of young talent you'd reasonably be able to withstand surrendering. Now triple it.
    3:06 I mean, if I'm Rick Hahn, I'm asking for Ender and/or Dansby as starting points and then adding 3-4 prospects from there.

Sam
    3:06 Just read on MLB.com that the Braves Inquired about Sale? Is it a smart idea? is it likely they could land him? what are your thoughts?
    Steve Adams
    3:06 There are 30 teams in Major League Baseball, and I can virtually guarantee you that the only one to not ask about Chris Sale is the one that already has him.
    3:07 So while it's quasi-notable that Atlanta reached out, it's probably not as noteworthy as it seems at first glance.

So those of you clamoring for Sale, think about that package needed to acquire him, and decide if the Braves are still a team that needs an Ace after they give up that package.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    If an Albies, Newcomb, Mallex, and Soroka deal would do it then I'd be all in. Mallex is expendable to us and Sale would replace Newcomb. Albies is the only one that would sting in that trade.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Just watched "High Heat" for about 5 minutes. That's about all my ears can stand with the New Yawk accent. Braves interest in Sale was discussed extensively.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    And from MLBTR chat about an hour ago:

Scott
    3:04 What do you think the Braves would have to give up to get Sale?
    Steve Adams
    3:05 Think of the single most painful package of young talent you'd reasonably be able to withstand surrendering. Now triple it.
    3:06 I mean, if I'm Rick Hahn, I'm asking for Ender and/or Dansby as starting points and then adding 3-4 prospects from there.

Sam
    3:06 Just read on MLB.com that the Braves Inquired about Sale? Is it a smart idea? is it likely they could land him? what are your thoughts?
    Steve Adams
    3:06 There are 30 teams in Major League Baseball, and I can virtually guarantee you that the only one to not ask about Chris Sale is the one that already has him.
    3:07 So while it's quasi-notable that Atlanta reached out, it's probably not as noteworthy as it seems at first glance.

So those of you clamoring for Sale, think about that package needed to acquire him, and decide if the Braves are still a team that needs an Ace after they give up that package.
    It's not gonna cost Swanson and Ender.

And do you have to be a dickhole with every post you make?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts

Why wouldn't it cost Ender and Swanson out of curiosity? I know both values have risen since acquiring them, but we traded a far inferior pitcher for both of them..+

I have not put out any proposals really. I think Coppy is up to something, but I don't think it is as big as Sale..

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts

Dickhole? What exactly was dickish in that post? That I suggested the current Braves roster minus Ender and Dansby isn't good enough to warrant acquiring an Ace?

But I'll play along...

The most plausible hypothetical scenario I could see involves the following differences in valuation by the two clubs:

1. The ChiSox think Folty is ready to become the next Verlander. The Braves think he is ultimately destined to be a BP arm, and see him as expendable in a rotation anchored by Sale, Teheran, Dickey and Colon.

2. The Braves think Ender is a player who has peaked in value as an elite defensive CFer with a platoon level bat, and can be reasonably replaced with Mallex. The ChiSox think Ender's 2nd half indicates he is a cornerstone player that could post 4+ WAR season for the next 4 years.

In that scenario, a deal centered around Folty and Inciarte makes sense for both teams. I happen to think Inciarte is at his peak value, and should be used in a trade for a cost controlled impact guy at SP or 3B, and that Mallex could replace 80% of his production in CF. I do NOT think Folty is a guy that should be traded under any circumstance since I feel he could very well turn into Chris Sale as soon as the end of 2017, while being cheaper and under team control longer.

FWIW, I think its 75% likely the Braves sell high on Ender this offseason and go with Mallex in CF with a platoon partner like Rajai Davis or Justin Ruggiano. I think that is the best way to maximize the value to the organization of those 2 CFers. They are both starting caliber CFers, even if one has to start for another team.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-15-2016 at 06:05 PM.

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Why wouldn't it cost Ender and Swanson out of curiosity? I know both values have risen since acquiring them, but we traded a far inferior pitcher for both of them..+

I have not put out any proposals really. I think Coppy is up to something, but I don't think it is as big as Sale..
    i know every player has a price but i have a hard time seeing Swanson being dealt.

Albies i can see, i dont think Swanson is.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    i know every player has a price but i have a hard time seeing Swanson being dealt.

Albies i can see, i dont think Swanson is.
    So if you were trading Teheran, would you make a deal centered around a light-hitting 2B who just broke his elbow swinging a bat?

Now imagine you have a pitching asset at least 2x as valuable as Julio. Are you even considering a guy with a broken elbow as the centerpiece of your return for trading him away?

Voted Worst Poster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,832 Posts
    So if you were trading Teheran, would you make a deal centered around a light-hitting 2B who just broke his elbow swinging a bat?

Now imagine you have a pitching asset at least 2x as valuable as Julio. Are you even considering a guy with a broken elbow as the centerpiece of your return for trading him away?
    It's probably Albies, Inciarte and 2 pitchers.

When Julio was rumored to be dealt, Boston, i wanted Moncada or Benedinti+