Page 96 of 107 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798106 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,920 of 2133

Thread: Farewell to Wood, Peraza, Jimmy Johns, and Avilans.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    I watched the video. If it wasn't Cubans he was hitting off of, who was it then?
    *sigh* I didn't say he wasn't being pitched to by Cubans. I give up.

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    To me you absolutely have to factor in the fact that he has declining peripherals and velocity in addition to a funky delivery. I'm sorry but I think that every single baseball GM would do the same thing in trade discussions.
    His FIP last year was 3.25 vs. 3.4 this year. He's essentially 1 start from having equal peripherals.

If the funky delivery was such a concern, why did we draft him in the 2nd round?
    "Yes, I did think Aldrich was good UNTIL I SAW HIM PLAY. "- thethe

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garmel View Post
    *sigh* I didn't say he wasn't being pitched to by Cubans. I give up.
    I don't see how you can judge bat speed on a guy facing batting practice and Cuban pitching and use it as your basis vs. a guy scouting him this year in American baseball. The guy may be wrong for sure, but where would you place more stock in?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,274 Posts
    As they can with every player in baseball. We still traded guys on the upside of their career for a guy on the downside of his career and that cannot be debated.
    Upside or downside, the Braves traded 4 years of Alex Wood (who isn't likely to get better) for 6 years of Olivera. This isn't a situation where we are looking to invest past this season's, so concerning ourselves with Olivera's age 35 season doesn't really concern me. Now he could be garbage so there is something to be said concerning the risk of the unknown, but if he's a 4 WAR player (very possible) then this is trade will work itself out splendidly.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    To me you absolutely have to factor in the fact that he has declining peripherals and velocity in addition to a funky delivery. I'm sorry but I think that every single baseball GM would do the same thing in trade discussions.
    Every pitcher's velocity declines and most pitchers' K rates drop, at least for a time. These are not huge negatives against Alex Wood. The fact that we allowed them to be is, once again, an indictment of us.

If we came to the negotiating table and said, 'Look, we know Alex Wood is a big risk of injury,' then shame on us. Equating the risk of Wood with the risk of Olivera is absurd.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    This is 1900 posts of sheer buffoonery, strawman, and confirmation bias on both sides.

I think it's pretty well understood the Braves are leveraging a high degree of risk for a player with a definite higher upside than that was given up. If you are trying to quantify that in either direction, then, well, good luck to you.
    Haha what? Olivera has higher upside than Wood? Especially Wood and Peraza combined?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    YOu claim we are all dumb message board posters in one sentence then the next you can read the brain of a GM?
    No, its just what I think. I'm not claiming to be right. Am I not allowed to share my opinions here?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Upside or downside, the Braves traded 4 years of Alex Wood (who isn't likely to get better) for 6 years of Olivera. This isn't a situation where we are looking to invest past this season's, so concerning ourselves with Olivera's age 35 season doesn't really concern me. Now he could be garbage so there is something to be said concerning the risk of the unknown, but if he's a 4 WAR player (very possible) then this is trade will work itself out splendidly.
    They also traded 6 years of Peraza, Avilan, and JJ. I don't see why Wood is likely to not get better since he's 24 years old. We got slightly over 5 years of Olivera, but I don't see how he's very possibly a 4 WAR player....hell, ignoring, the majority of projections; he can't even stay on the field.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    His FIP last year was 3.25 vs. 3.4 this year. He's essentially 1 start from having equal peripherals.

If the funky delivery was such a concern, why did we draft him in the 2nd round?
    I don't know. YOu'll have to ask the people in charge at the time. It ended up being a great pick nonetheless. I'm really not too sure what that has to do with his future though.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    This is 1900 posts of sheer buffoonery, strawman, and confirmation bias on both sides.

I think it's pretty well understood the Braves are leveraging a high degree of risk for a player with a definite higher upside than that was given up. If you are trying to quantify that in either direction, then, well, good luck to you.
    Pretty accurate depiction of the situation.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

BoneThrower (07-31-2015), thethe (07-31-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Every pitcher's velocity declines and most pitchers' K rates drop, at least for a time. These are not huge negatives against Alex Wood. The fact that we allowed them to be is, once again, an indictment of us.

If we came to the negotiating table and said, 'Look, we know Alex Wood is a big risk of injury,' then shame on us. Equating the risk of Wood with the risk of Olivera is absurd.
    Whose saying thats what the Braves are doing here? What if Friedman went to them and the Braves have always felt this way as well.

I'd much rather trade someone one year too early. Again, we would have been railing the Braves for trading Hanson after year 2 but in the end anything we got back would have been a positive.

As I've said numerous times...I don't think the trade was necessarily a good deal. I just don't agree that its this disaster that its being made out to be and that Hart went out on some bender to destroy the franchise.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    They also traded 6 years of Peraza, Avilan, and JJ. I don't see why Wood is likely to not get better since he's 24 years old. We got slightly over 5 years of Olivera, but I don't see how he's very possibly a 4 WAR player....hell, ignoring, the majority of projections; he can't even stay on the field.
    And the Braves got back a top 30 pick in what is said to be a loaded draft and a pitcher with a very projecatble arm. This trade is really about Wood vs. Olivera if you ask me. But at the same time, I wouldn't have minded to hang onto Peraza.
    Natural Immunity Croc

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    I'll make this as simple as I can in terms of why I dislike the trade:

I don't care about the JJ/Avilan/Paco/Bird/pick portion of the deal. I think we did fine there, and I like the pick we got. Had the entire deal been JJ and Avilan for the pick alone, it would have been a good deal.

What I care about is the Peraza, Wood, Olivera portion, as I imagine most do. And I'm not even that concerned about Peraza being in it. I understand if front offices don't see Peraza with tons of value.

But in comparing these three:
    Age - obviously in favor of the Dodgers, which is kind of strange, given the relative position of the two teams
    Risk - in favor of the Dodgers, and I don't know how anyone can say differently
    Talent - in favor of the Dodgers overall
    Total years of control - in favor of the Dodgers

That ain't good.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,314 Posts
    I don't see how you can judge bat speed on a guy facing batting practice and Cuban pitching and use it as your basis vs. a guy scouting him this year in American baseball. The guy may be wrong for sure, but where would you place more stock in?
    Show me proof that bat speed slows down when the level of play goes up. I don't know of anyone's bat speed slowing down then they got to the Majors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I'll make this as simple as I can in terms of why I dislike the trade:

I don't care about the JJ/Avilan/Paco/Bird/pick portion of the deal. I think we did fine there, and I like the pick we got. Had the entire deal been JJ and Avilan for the pick alone, it would have been a good deal.

What I care about is the Peraza, Wood, Olivera portion, as I imagine most do. And I'm not even that concerned about Peraza being in it. I understand if front offices don't see Peraza with tons of value.

But in comparing these three:
    Age - obviously in favor of the Dodgers, which is kind of strange, given the relative position of the two teams
    Risk - in favor of the Dodgers, and I don't know how anyone can say differently
    Talent - in favor of the Dodgers overall
    Total years of control - in favor of the Dodgers

That ain't good.
    I disagree on the talent portion. There have been many talent evaulators who have seen Olivera play that think he can be an impact bat. And since all we hear about his how much more rare hitting is I think that puts talent in the corner of the Braves here.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    And the Braves got back a top 30 pick in what is said to be a loaded draft and a pitcher with a very projecatble arm. This trade is really about Wood vs. Olivera if you ask me. But at the same time, I wouldn't have minded to hang onto Peraza.
    SO you would trade Peraza, JJ, Avilan, for a draft pick, a not top 200 reliever prospect, and a promising LOOGY that is out for the year?

I certainly wouldn't trade Wood straight up for Olivera either. Maybe a cost controlled corner outfielder in his mid 20s with good projection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    of the two negative articles posted, one of them wasn't very negative at all. the SI one stated the obvious: if he can't get on the field, it will be a terrible trade. well, no ****.

Peraza's prospect light is dimming according to some. I still like what he could become, but he better hit .300 or he's not much. hitting .300 will be hard to do with his power (or lack thereof).

How can we just dismiss Wood's drop in velo? People keep saying he's doing it on purpose. Well, his velo is down, and so are his results, so maybe he should try and ramp it up again? Get back last year's results? The "purposeful" drop in velo doesn't appear to be working.

I like the players we gave up. But I also really like Olivera, and so do a lot of people. And he should be a massive bargain.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,044 Posts
    Whose saying thats what the Braves are doing here? What if Friedman went to them and the Braves have always felt this way as well.

I'd much rather trade someone one year too early. Again, we would have been railing the Braves for trading Hanson after year 2 but in the end anything we got back would have been a positive.

As I've said numerous times...I don't think the trade was necessarily a good deal. I just don't agree that its this disaster that its being made out to be and that Hart went out on some bender to destroy the franchise.
    I don't care what the Braves feel about Wood's future. Believing Wood is at risk of injury in the future is a reason to trade him; it is not a reason to take lesser value for him. If the Dodgers also feel that way, go to someone else. You just don't allow them to lessen his value because they see him as a risk going forward. You tell him he is a good #2 at 24 years old, he has been a good #2 for 3 years now, and that is his price. If they want a good #2, they will pay the price for a good #2. And if they aren't willing, you back away. It's not complicated.

No one ever said this trade destroys the franchise. But it is a bad deal and is not a good sign for possible future moves.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Oh. Are we back to evaluating deals based on years of control now?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    SO you would trade Peraza, JJ, Avilan, for a draft pick, a not top 200 reliever prospect, and a promising LOOGY that is out for the year?

I certainly wouldn't trade Wood straight up for Olivera either. Maybe a cost controlled corner outfielder in his mid 20s with good projection.
    Since Avilan/JJ don't have much value then I think if the Braves really liked the draft and this pitcher then I could see this trade being a right value swap. I think we are underselling the ceiling of this pitcher. But the liklihood of him reaching the ceiling seems low. I bet the Braves are banking that they can develop him better than other teams can.
    Natural Immunity Croc