Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: 7/5 GDT: Houston Astros (57-27) vs. Atlanta Braves (40-42); Dansby's Day Off Edition

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    July is gonna be rough boys
    Hopefully this silly notion of being anything but a seller at the deadline stops.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Eh....I think it's the hamstring problem. That's something he always deals with though. I think we have seen his low and high....he is realistically somewhere in the middle.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Hopefully this silly notion of being anything but a seller at the deadline stops.
    Yeah +1 on that...

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Eh....I think it's the hamstring problem. That's something he always deals with though. I think we have seen his low and high....he is realistically somewhere in the middle.
    I think his year to date numbers are good representation of his offensive level right now. And that plus his defense puts him at a below average player. Just no other way around it really.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    I think his year to date numbers are good representation of his offensive level right now. And that plus his defense puts him at a below average player. Just no other way around it really.
    He's dropped like 0.7 WAR since his latest hamstring. I think it's silly to just totally dismiss it. Kemp is terrible defensively at full speed... he can't lose a step or you see a plunge like we've seen. Of course, hamstrings will continue to be an issue

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    He's dropped like 0.7 WAR since his latest hamstring. I think it's silly to just totally dismiss it. Kemp is terrible defensively at full speed... he can't lose a step or you see a plunge like we've seen. Of course, hamstrings will continue to be an issue
    Then he needs to bench himself if it's that big of a deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    Then he needs to bench himself if it's that big of a deal.
    Personally I think that's the manager's job. We had the perfect time to do it right before the break. He'd have had 2-3 weeks to get healthy. I do think he looked a little better in the field tonight.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,135 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Twitker needs to do a better job of limiting Kemp's innings in the field. He has played a total of 535 innings in LF this season.

Proper defensive substitutions late in games would have saved about 50 innings in the field on Kemp's legs.

Kemp only has half of the Braves PAs as DH, so that's another 45 innings Twitker could have saved Kemp's legs.

Proper usage could have eliminated ~95 of the 535 innings Kemp has played in LF.

It would have cost the team a handful of his late game PAs, but I'd be willing to bet Kemp would be healthier and hitting better if he logged ~17% fewer innings in LF this year. I'm also willing to bet a healthy Kemp produces more over 280 PAs than a hobbled Kemp produced over 295 PAs.

This is why Twitker absolutely can NOT be the manager after this season. He has no idea how to manage the tactical side of the game.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (07-06-2017), WaitingFor2017 (07-06-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,992 Posts
    Ugh. I get so sick every time Alex Wood pitches. Dude has been amazing this year and is exactly the guy we need.

HIS ERA IS MOTHEREFFIN 1.67. HIS CAREER ERA IS 3.12. I want to kill Coppy over that trade.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Twitker needs to do a better job of limiting Kemp's innings in the field. He has played a total of 535 innings in LF this season.

Proper defensive substitutions late in games would have saved about 50 innings in the field on Kemp's legs.

Kemp only has half of the Braves PAs as DH, so that's another 45 innings Twitker could have saved Kemp's legs.

Proper usage could have eliminated ~95 of the 535 innings Kemp has played in LF.

It would have cost the team a handful of his late game PAs, but I'd be willing to bet Kemp would be healthier and hitting better if he logged ~17% fewer innings in LF this year. I'm also willing to bet a healthy Kemp produces more over 280 PAs than a hobbled Kemp produced over 295 PAs.

This is why Twitker absolutely can NOT be the manager after this season. He has no idea how to manage the tactical side of the game.
    If you have a guy like Kemp, you do the Pat Burrell thing with him like the Phillies did. If you ever have a late lead, a defensive replacement goes in for Kemp. It's that simple. And in AL parks, Kemp should just leave his glove in the clubhouse.

I agree with you on Snitker.

Gwinnett Bound
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts

Absolutely agree. Since we're stuck with him the next 2,5 years someone needs to figure out how to keep his bat productive.

Matt Adams should be learning how to play LF so he can rest kemp. If Adams can't play LF then he needs to be traded. Freddie at 3rd is not a long term solution.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,788 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UNCBlue012 View Post
    Ugh. I get so sick every time Alex Wood pitches. Dude has been amazing this year and is exactly the guy we need.

HIS ERA IS MOTHEREFFIN 1.67. HIS CAREER ERA IS 3.12. I want to kill Coppy over that trade.
    He really has been amazing. Shut down the dbacks yesterday with 10 more ks. I don't think this is a fluke anymore... I think he's elevated himself to the upper echelon of starting pitchers.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sturg33 For This Useful Post:

UNCBlue012 (07-06-2017)

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    532 Posts
    If I were Coppy, I would've called the Yankees two weeks ago at the peak of Adams' trade value. Unfortunately, he was focused on trying to get a Wild Card spot in what most fans on this board know is a lost year. The Yankees just basically released Carter, so they may be looking at Adams but his last week has lowered his value a bit.

I have not been a fan of Snitker since day one. I do believe that getting rid of him this season won't do the club much good since Ron Washington will likely take his place. Washington is basically a Snitker and Cox clone in being a player's manager and not really excelling or studying the tactical/advanced statistical side of the game. Washington was once quoted as saying he hates advanced stats and relies on his "gut". Ugh. Bud Black is doing wonders with Colorado's young pitching and Arizona's new manager from Boston is excelling with them as well -- yet we stuck with a man who manages like it's 1985.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    He really has been amazing. Shut down the dbacks yesterday with 10 more ks. I don't think this is a fluke anymore... I think he's elevated himself to the upper echelon of starting pitchers.
    At some point you have to realize that he is who he is.. and this is probably who he is. Hate we gave him away, but his value was not even close to this high when we traded him. This trade goes down as a bone headed traded that just got worse because of results.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    At some point you have to realize that he is who he is.. and this is probably who he is. Hate we gave him away, but his value was not even close to this high when we traded him. This trade goes down as a bone headed traded that just got worse because of results.
    I wish the Braves still had Alex Wood so they could trade him for something better than they got the last time.

If Wood were currently on the Braves someone would be pointing out that nothing about his career suggests he is this good and he is do for regression, that he is injury prone, that he serves no purpose on a team that can't contend, that he won't be on the team when its contention window opens, and that the Braves front office is brain dead for not having traded him two years ago for four elite prospects.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingFor2017 View Post
    If I were Coppy, I would've called the Yankees two weeks ago at the peak of Adams' trade value. Unfortunately, he was focused on trying to get a Wild Card spot in what most fans on this board know is a lost year. The Yankees just basically released Carter, so they may be looking at Adams but his last week has lowered his value a bit.

I have not been a fan of Snitker since day one. I do believe that getting rid of him this season won't do the club much good since Ron Washington will likely take his place. Washington is basically a Snitker and Cox clone in being a player's manager and not really excelling or studying the tactical/advanced statistical side of the game. Washington was once quoted as saying he hates advanced stats and relies on his "gut". Ugh. Bud Black is doing wonders with Colorado's young pitching and Arizona's new manager from Boston is excelling with them as well -- yet we stuck with a man who manages like it's 1985.
    I'm curious. Why do you think the Yankees would value a player like Adams when they just released a player like Carter.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WaitingFor2017 View Post

If Adams didn't gain value from his monstrous play, then he certainly hasn't lost value because he has struggled these last two weeks.

won't disagree on Game7.. he has even said he manages on his gut. Just two weeks ago, he pulled Newk because his gut told him he didn't want to face whoever we were playing a 3rd time. Snit is a Bobby Clone.. A guy who lead a Hall of Fame laced team to 1 WS victory. Guys like Bobby, Snit, Frediot are always going to get out classed in the playoffs, because they manage exactly the same as the regular season. I think I lost all faith in Snit when he hit and run with FF and Kemp one game. I knew at that point he was hopeless.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I'm curious. Why do you think the Yankees would value a player like Adams when they just released a player like Carter.
    Why doesn't he think the Braves have had discussions about Adams with multiple teams? We're nearing the deadline and there isn't any reason to believe they haven't touched base with every club and gotten a sense of what they were interested in.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

mfree80 (07-06-2017)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,863 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    I wish the Braves still had Alex Wood so they could trade him for something better than they got the last time.

If Wood were currently on the Braves someone would be pointing out that nothing about his career suggests he is this good and he is do for regression, that he is injury prone, that he serves no purpose on a team that can't contend, that he won't be on the team when its contention window opens, and that the Braves front office is brain dead for not having traded him two years ago for four elite prospects.
    You are correct on the last part. Wood is controlled through 2019 and the Braves were right to trade him when they did. Of course the problem was they still had the idea of contending in 2017 and didn't really maximize Wood's value which should have been pretty good at the time.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    You are correct on the last part. Wood is controlled through 2019 and the Braves were right to trade him when they did. Of course the problem was they still had the idea of contending in 2017 and didn't really maximize Wood's value which should have been pretty good at the time.
    Hey now they got their third basemen of the future, a high leverage bullpen arm, and a draft pick!

Yes, that was a bad trade.