Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lane Adams

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    And 2018 is the perfect year to find out if he is a 4th outfielder. Just like 2018 is the perfect year to give Camargo 500 PA's. It makes too much sense not too.
    Please explain how you're going to get Lane 400 plate appearances if Acuña is in Atlanta! Sorry but UNLESS Markakis is traded Lane should be a 4th OF only. That much I agree on. And yes it's time to separate keepers, but I don't like anything about a 4th OF'er starting 5 days a week!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    Please explain how you're going to get Lane 400 plate appearances if Acuña is in Atlanta! Sorry but UNLESS Markakis is traded Lane should be a 4th OF only. That much I agree on. And yes it's time to separate keepers, but I don't like anything about a 4th OF'er starting 5 days a week!
    Acuna will be in Atlanta probably sometime in mid may. Afterwards I see a 70/30 split on LF with neck getting most of the time. Adams is then the backup for CF and RF. That gets close to 400.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deester11 View Post
    The only way that happens is if they trade Nick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Lane Adams is a 4th OF’er

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Guys... come on...

If Lane Adams gets 400 at bats this season then something has gone incredibly wrong. Are we really gonna give him 400 at bats to see if last year's performance was sustainable for him? Anyone can look at his data and know that he is a fringe bench player. He seems like a great dude and I'm glad he is getting a shot to have some major league at bats, but come on...

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    You know it's slow when we have a 2 page thread about Lane Adams

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-11-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Guys... come on...

If Lane Adams gets 400 at bats this season then something has gone incredibly wrong. Are we really gonna give him 400 at bats to see if last year's performance was sustainable for him? Anyone can look at his data and know that he is a fringe bench player. He seems like a great dude and I'm glad he is getting a shot to have some major league at bats, but come on...
    Its a test season. What are the other options that make more sense?
    Natural Immunity Croc

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Signing Maybin or Kendrick to 1 year or 1+1 deals. Both are MUCH more proven players (who don't have to rely on that unsustainable BABIP for production) - Maybin can handle CF as well as Adams at the very least. If you're right about Acuna being up in mid-May you can certainly get away with Cam as the backup CF for 5-6 weeks given how many games Ender typically plays. If you signed Kendrick instead, Adams would fill as Ender's backup during the first 6 weeks, and then would cease to get ABs when Acuna comes up because the Markakis/Kendrick platoon splits anytime Ender takes a seat and you play Acuna in CF, Markakis in RF, and Kendrick in LF.

I like Lane as much as the next guy (which is to say because he's a Brave), but those who mentioned him getting 400 ABs as a terrible idea above are right.
    Last edited by clvclv; 01-10-2018 at 11:41 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I get that whole narrative that we need to see what we have with some players, but can we at least do it with guys who have some chance of being long term contributors? I get playing a lot of Camargo, Sims, Fried, Gohara, Newcomb, etc... All of those guys have a chance to be long term major league contributors. Lane's ceiling is a mediocre bench player.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BeanieAntics For This Useful Post:

clvclv (01-10-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    I get that whole narrative that we need to see what we have with some players, but can we at least do it with guys who have some chance of being long term contributors? I get playing a lot of Camargo, Sims, Fried, Gohara, Newcomb, etc... All of those guys have a chance to be long term major league contributors. Lane's ceiling is a mediocre bench player.
    I'll take a mediocare bench player at dirt cheap for a couple of years. There is a chance that he becomes slightly better than that and as a 25th man I don't see why thats a bad thing.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Baseball is a funny game. Every now and then you get a late bloomer like Tommy Pham or our own Tyler Flowers.

The concern I have with Adams is the 30% K rate last year in both AAA and the majors. Makes me think what he did last year was a bit of a mirage. In contrast, Flowers has been bringing down his K rate. Makes me think his improvement is more likely to be sustained.

There is an ex Brave I will be watching with interest in 2018. Todd Cunningham. I love the trend his strikeout and walk rates have shown the last two years in AAA. I think he was a smart signing by the Pirates to a minor league deal. He could be a very good fourth outfielder for them.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

14. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

buck75 (01-13-2018)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I'll take a mediocare bench player at dirt cheap for a couple of years. There is a chance that he becomes slightly better than that and as a 25th man I don't see why thats a bad thing.
    And 400 ab’s is still more of Lane than I want!

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    I don't think having Lane is a bad thing. I like Lane. I just don't want Lane to get 400 at bats lol

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    I don't think having Lane is a bad thing. I like Lane. I just don't want Lane to get 400 at bats lol
    Lane is perfect for the role the Braves will have him in:

Soak up meaningless PAs at the beginning of a lost season to buy the Braves another year of control over Acuna, then move into the role of 25th man on the bench or AAAA OFer.

The Braves probably don't need to gather much more info on Lane to know what they have, but he will get 200+ PAs in 2018 anyways, so he still has a chance to impress.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Enscheff For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (01-11-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Lane is perfect for the role the Braves will have him in:

Soak up meaningless PAs at the beginning of a lost season to buy the Braves another year of control over Acuna, then move into the role of 25th man on the bench or AAAA OFer.

The Braves probably don't need to gather much more info on Lane to know what they have, but he will get 200+ PAs in 2018 anyways, so he still has a chance to impress.
    Unless they are bringing in another OF outside of Acuna I don't see how he doesn't get around 400 PA's. There will also be injuries and he will be the guy that subs in. Nobody is stating he is anything more than a potential 4th OF but I think last years results should buy him some more time to show. Similar to Camargo.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,896 Posts
    It is a long shot, but I'd hope Dustin Peterson pushes for time in ATL after June or so and Neck (hopefully) gets moved.

I just don't think Lane Adams solves anything for us.
    Ivermectin Man

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,128 Posts
    Unless they are bringing in another OF outside of Acuna I don't see how he doesn't get around 400 PA's. There will also be injuries and he will be the guy that subs in. Nobody is stating he is anything more than a potential 4th OF but I think last years results should buy him some more time to show. Similar to Camargo.
    There were, on average, 686 PAs per MLB position in 2017. OFers get more, so let's round up to 700 per OFer, on average. That's 2100 total OF PAs to dole out.

Last year Ender had 710 PAs, and Markakis had 670. That leaves ~720 for all other Braves OFers.

If Acuna comes up in the middle of April, it won't be to play part time. Acuna will see 400+ PAs in 2018, and probably 500+.

That leaves 200-300 PAs for all other Braves OFers.

Tucker will get a chance, and will likely be the heavy side of the LF platoon until Acuna is called up. He will soak up a nice chunk of those available PAs.

As others have said, if Lane gets 400 PAs, something went terribly wrong in 2018.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    There were, on average, 686 PAs per MLB position in 2017. OFers get more, so let's round up to 700 per OFer, on average. That's 2100 total OF PAs to dole out.

Last year Ender had 710 PAs, and Markakis had 670. That leaves ~720 for all other Braves OFers.

If Acuna comes up in the middle of April, it won't be to play part time. Acuna will see 400+ PAs in 2018, and probably 500+.

That leaves 200-300 PAs for all other Braves OFers.

Tucker will get a chance, and will likely be the heavy side of the LF platoon until Acuna is called up. He will soak up a nice chunk of those available PAs.

As others have said, if Lane gets 400 PAs, something went terribly wrong in 2018.
    My bad - Forgot about Tucker. He will eat into that time for sure.
    Natural Immunity Croc