Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Minimum Wage

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    Criminy, man. You have enough to go on. I'm not going to start cutting and pasting labor and environmental regs.

Let's go at it from the other direction. What restrains an employer—say, for example, the owner of a coal mine—from hiring kids to work in a stuffy room filled with dangerous particulate, surrounded by guys with truncheons?
    I would hope the parents of those kids would restrain them…?

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    What a crazy concept huh? No, its better that we just force employers to employ these people at rates that don't coincide with their actual skills. What a system.

If you are over the age of 25 and do not have any mental retardation or acute learning disability and you are making minimum wage or close to it then its your fault.
    The problem is that skilled jobs are harder to come by. McDonalds is shutting down real restaurants Walmart is closing real stores, Staples is closing small computer fixing companies, etc. They take these people who can earna healthy living on their own and by using their size leverage their prices so that people shop there instead which closes the places that offer living wages and forces those people who've spent their lives learning something or opening something to switch to a low paying job.
    Stockholm, more densely populated than NYC - sturg

3. The Following User Says Thank You to zitothebrave For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (02-06-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    You do realize if child labor was legal someone would totally turn Detroit into a sweat shop and no one could stop it right? Parents can't find job but the uber cheap and replaceable children would be great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zitothebrave View Post
    You do realize if child labor was legal someone would totally turn Detroit into a sweat shop and no one could stop it right? Parents can't find job but the uber cheap and replaceable children would be great.
    Are you against letting a 12 year old work in a library for a few bucks an hour? I strongly support that.

I already said I'm against sweatshops

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    I'm ok with children working a few hours a week, I did it growing up. BUT I'm not OK with children working more than 10 max. I'm not OK with them doing labor unless they're working on a family farm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Zito, only about 10% of the US workforce works in retail. They aren't the only jobs out there.
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Zito, only about 10% of the US workforce works in retail. They aren't the only jobs out there.
    Retail is 10%, wholesale is 4% professional and business are 11.4 those are basically the industries covered.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    The problem is that skilled jobs are harder to come by. McDonalds is shutting down real restaurants Walmart is closing real stores, Staples is closing small computer fixing companies, etc. They take these people who can earna healthy living on their own and by using their size leverage their prices so that people shop there instead which closes the places that offer living wages and forces those people who've spent their lives learning something or opening something to switch to a low paying job.
    My accounting firm hires people ALL the time. People work here for a couple of years and then move on to private companies that pay more with less hours. Banks hire tellers ALL the time. Not a wonderful job but most banks will start you at 10 per hour with benefits.

There are jobs out there and if you are making minimum wage at that age then its your own fault and shouldn't be expecting someone else to bail you out.
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    I think most people can get out of minimum wage BUT there has to be minimum wage workers or Walmart and McDonalds would go out of business.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    I think most people can get out of minimum wage BUT there has to be minimum wage workers or Walmart and McDonalds would go out of business.
    I'd be fine with them going out of business. BUt, what would probably happen is that if people stopped applying they would raise their wages which is the right way for things to happen.
    Natural Immunity Croc

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Why didn't the parents of the kids in the picture restrain THEM, I wonder.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

goldfly (12-20-2015)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    I'd be fine with them going out of business. BUt, what would probably happen is that if people stopped applying they would raise their wages which is the right way for things to happen.
    No they wouldn't. Because then they'd have to raise their prices and they'd be out of a market.

Bottom line is it's time for consumerism in america to stop. If you can't afford something from a place that actually pays people, then don't have it. Anyone who buys a TV from Walmart should be fined for being a moron.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    No they wouldn't. Because then they'd have to raise their prices and they'd be out of a market.

Bottom line is it's time for consumerism in america to stop. If you can't afford something from a place that actually pays people, then don't have it. Anyone who buys a TV from Walmart should be fined for being a moron.
    LOL

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    You're quite an enthusiastic advocate for the conditions that allow sweatshops to prosper. You've expressed admiration for the brand of capitalism practiced in the US until the early 20th century. Why be so coy about embracing the results of those policies and conditions?

If you want to go ahead and embrace them as a lesser evil, please do. But quit wiggling around and evading the question.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julio3000 For This Useful Post:

goldfly (12-20-2015), jpx7 (02-06-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Julio3000 View Post
    You're quite an enthusiastic advocate for the conditions that allow sweatshops to prosper. You've expressed admiration for the brand of capitalism practiced in the US until the early 20th century. Why be so coy about embracing the results of those policies and conditions?

If you want to go ahead and embrace them as a lesser evil, please do. But quit wiggling around and evading the question.
    It's funny that you act like the job market today is the same as it was in the early 1900's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    Julio, just so I know, do you think that eliminating the minimum wage would result in children dying in sweatshops here in the states?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    LOL
    Glad you believe that eople who can't afford a TV should buy a ****ty one instead that will break and continue the debt cycle. WEEEEEEE

Atlanta Braves Fan
    Wash Nationals Fan
    Bryce Harper Fanatic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Glad you believe that eople who can't afford a TV should buy a ****ty one instead that will break and continue the debt cycle. WEEEEEEE
    There are levels to which anyone purchase anything. Should someone not buy a 1,000 dollar used car to get work bc they can't afford a 50k lexus? I can't afford expensive mustard, does that I mean I'm not allowed to buy the cheap stuff?

You are grasping for straws.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilesfan View Post
    There are levels to which anyone purchase anything. Should someone not buy a 1,000 dollar used car to get work bc they can't afford a 50k lexus? I can't afford expensive mustard, does that I mean I'm not allowed to buy the cheap stuff?

You are grasping for straws.
    Good logic bro. The problem with your analysis is that a car is often a necessity. A new TV usually isn't. And you coud buy a used TV from someone for cheap. So yeah bad analogy. Buying ****ty cheap TVs is a problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Perhaps the problem with minimum wage workers is that A) they can't pass a drug test B) have a criminal record and C) don't have an acceptible driving records. Many employers around my area that I am friends with cannot find people that meet those simple criteria to put in place for jobs as exterminators, truck drivers, and agriculture work. These are not minimum wage jobs, but simple ones that have benefits, retirement, and would net a nice salary. How would failing to meet those three criteria affect your view on the minimum wage being raise? Shouldn't it fall on people to make themselves employable for more than minimum wage jobs?

I am asking and looking for an answer... I don't have a decision on this issue yet, just contributing feedback from what I hear from Employers (Small businesses).
    What a crazy concept huh? No, its better that we just force employers to employ these people at rates that don't coincide with their actual skills. What a system.

If you are over the age of 25 and do not have any mental retardation or acute learning disability and you are making minimum wage or close to it then its your fault.
    Didn't we have an "absence of a willing labor force" discussion on here just a while back?

I also feel like no one has addressed the issue I brought this thread back with... maybe it doesn't need addressing, but that is the way employers feel (small businesses in the service industry) at the moment in our little micro economy.
    Ivermectin Man