Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Braves trade Kyle Wren to Brewers for RHP Zach Quintana

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lville21 View Post
    They've probably been planning Kyle's exit since the day Frank was fired.
    Probably so, but there was no reason to trade him for nothing. Kyle is not a great prospect, but he has at least some value. The guy we got back is no better than the proverbial bag of balls. Basically a BS trade that should not have happened.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to skillet For This Useful Post:

Hawk (11-14-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lville21 View Post
    They've probably been planning Kyle's exit since the day Frank was fired.
    Well, they planned poorly.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CyYoung31 For This Useful Post:

Braves1976 (11-15-2014), Dalyn (11-14-2014), goldfly (11-16-2014), Hawk (11-14-2014), JohnAdcox (11-15-2014), jpx7 (11-15-2014)

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    I think I will wait and see before I categorically state a trade for a 20 year old is a bust, no matter his stats at this point. I will put some trust in our scouting department on this one. Who on this board saw Eric O'Flarety's dominance when he was claimed on waivers years ago? I liked Wren a lot, and thought he would be a good add-in to a larger trade but IMO some of the criticism on this deal is a little overboard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    I guess I disagree with the prevailing feeling here. If I were him I'd want to play somewhere else too. All a player really wants to do is to play, anywhere. Better to do it in an organization where he won't hear whispers, real or imagined, about his dad. This trade is good for Kyle. Of course he's just "concentrating on playing" but how well will that concentration hold up when the comments start adding up from some player, ball boy, coach, FO person or fan, even when they are completely innocent. Probably most everyone will behave professionally but why not put the kid in a place where he won't have to deal with that?

If he were a serious prospect who could bat leadoff and pick it in the field, losing him would matter, but he isn't. Best of luck to him. I hope he makes it to the show for a season or two and steals a few bases before he becomes an assistant coach in the minors.
    Last edited by Runnin; 11-14-2014 at 09:36 PM.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Runnin For This Useful Post:

AerchAngel (11-16-2014), BedellBrave (11-14-2014), keithlaw (11-15-2014), Metaphysicist (11-16-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    I guess I disagree with the prevailing feeling here. If I were him I'd want to play somewhere else too. All a player really wants to do is to play, anywhere. Better to do it in an organization where he won't hear whispers, real or imagined, about his dad. This trade is good for Kyle. Of course he's just "concentrating on playing" but how well will that concentration hold up when the comments start adding up from some player, ball boy, coach, FO person or fan make a disparaging comment about his dad, even an innocent one. Probably most everyone will behave professionally but why not put the kid in a place where he won't have to deal with that?

If he were a serious prospect losing him might matter, but he isn't. Best of luck to him. I hope he makes it to the show for a season or two and steals a few bases before he becomes an assistant coach in the minors.
    This.

The reaction to this trade is far more ridiculous than the trade itself. The Braves traded a light hitting speed guy for a right handed pitcher with a power arm. Thanks to the previous scouting staff, the organization is full of these light hitting speed guys that were high draft picks.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KB21 For This Useful Post:

BedellBrave (11-14-2014), keithlaw (11-15-2014)

Playing the Waiting Game
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    This.

The reaction to this trade is far more ridiculous than the trade itself. The Braves traded a light hitting speed guy for a right handed pitcher with a power arm. Thanks to the previous scouting staff, the organization is full of these light hitting speed guys that were high draft picks.
    Power arm you say? The guy is averaging 6.4 K/9 so far in the rookie leagues and low minors. There is nothing power about that. Walks almost as much as he strikes out. ERA of 6.15, WHIP of 1.76. There is absolutely nothing good about any of that. He is a complete non prospect. Wren ain't much, but he is at least a marginal prospect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    This.

Since when is a short guy, who hits the low 90s, and has a terrible strikeout rate a power arm?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    I don't know if he has a power arm or not, but K-rate doesn't necessarily equate to power.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

thethe (11-14-2014)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,066 Posts
    This.

^^^ This.

Playing the Waiting Game keithlaw's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    294 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Runnin View Post
    I guess I disagree with the prevailing feeling here. If I were him I'd want to play somewhere else too. All a player really wants to do is to play, anywhere. Better to do it in an organization where he won't hear whispers, real or imagined, about his dad. This trade is good for Kyle. Of course he's just "concentrating on playing" but how well will that concentration hold up when the comments start adding up from some player, ball boy, coach, FO person or fan, even when they are completely innocent. Probably most everyone will behave professionally but why not put the kid in a place where he won't have to deal with that?

If he were a serious prospect who could bat leadoff and pick it in the field, losing him would matter, but he isn't. Best of luck to him. I hope he makes it to the show for a season or two and steals a few bases before he becomes an assistant coach in the minors.
    The whole ordeal must be gut wrenching for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by keithlaw View Post
    The whole ordeal must be gut wrenching for him.
    I hope not. If he or Frank are that upset they're in the wrong business.

They probably blame it all on B.J, anyway.

Connoisseur of Minors zitothebrave's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,463 Posts
    Can I ask, was anyone esle disappointed that we got a pitcher instead of Spock?