Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Dan Uggla, Tommy La Stella

Vencer a Los Doyers GovClintonTyree's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,029 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emk418 View Post
    We're past the point of trying to find a trade partner. Uggla deserved to be given a shot this year but it's late April and he looks as bad as ever. It's time to cut our losses and just release him. We've got a great team this year and La Stella is the type of bat this team really needs. It needs to happen soon but I doubt it will.
    I think so. And Wren will make a move. You won't see it coming, then - BAM! - off with his head. Timing is the only variable. I predict Memorial Day. Of course, Uggla could get hot. But if he's hitting .217 with erratic defense there's really no reason to keep digging that hole.

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    211 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I'm ready for Uggla to be dethroned and replaced by TLS, just so we can all watch La Stella languish in mediocrity for a few months before considering real alternatives at the position.
    IMO you're way off about TLS but even mediocrity at 2B is a big upgrade.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,898 Posts
    There is no way someone can be a downgrade on defense or offense in comparison to what Uggla is providing. Are people even watching how horrible he is?
    Natural Immunity Croc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Sorry I just completely disagree. We have a long term internal replacement that's ready. Maybe if we didn't have an internal option I would give him a little more time but it makes no sense. Cut our losses.
    Do you mean La Stella as far as long term? If so, I'd say that is an overstatement or at the very least jumping the gun. I am not saying La Stella isn't ready, he may be ready. I just don't see either he nor Pastornicky as our future at second long term. I see them both as likely placeholders till Peraza is ready, at least if we finally dump Uggla.

Further, I see Jose Peraza as our future as second, he is already in high A and doing great there too. I could see Peraza being ready to make the jump to the Majors as soon as next year (maybe a Sept. call-up in 2015). While some will surely disagree, I would remind y'all that Simmons only spent 44 games in AA before he became our starting shortstop. Peraza will likely start AA next year and could be ready later that season (similar to Simmons), IMO.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    IMO you're way off about TLS but even mediocrity at 2B is a big upgrade.
    I'm a fan of LaStella -- but don't remotely buy into the prevailing fantasy around these parts of him being some sort of 'anti-Uggla' savior. The two are comparable defensively, and while TLS might represent an incremental upgrade over Uggo with the bat that's just not enough for me to cut Dan, shake up chemistry, etc.
    Last edited by Hawk; 04-27-2014 at 11:39 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    Do you mean La Stella as far as long term? If so, I'd say that is an overstatement or at the very least jumping the gun. I am not saying La Stella isn't ready, he may be ready. I just don't see either he nor Pastornicky as our future at second long term. I see them both as likely placeholders till Peraza is ready, at least if we finally dump Uggla.

Further, I see Jose Peraza as our future as second, he is already in high A and doing great there too. I could see Peraza being ready to make the jump to the Majors as soon as next year (maybe a Sept. call-up in 2015). While some will surely disagree, I would remind y'all that Simmons only spent 44 games in AA before he became our starting shortstop. Peraza will likely start AA next year and could be ready later that season (similar to Simmons), IMO.
    I wonder if one of La Stella, Peraza or Pastornicky will eventually move to third.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (04-29-2014)

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    We've got a handful of armchair accountants here too. The new buzz term is "sunk cost."

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Knucksie For This Useful Post:

Hawk (04-27-2014)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    I wonder if one of La Stella, Peraza or Pastornicky will eventually move to third.
    Peraza is the only one of the three that could do well there. I know Pastornicky can play short, but playing it doesn't make one good at it. He doesn't have the arm to play short regularly, so the same would be true for third. La Stella is considered below average defensively at second, though he may be better than Uggla (hard to be worse right?). And according to what I have heard third isn't seen as option for him either.

To sum it up, Peraza is the only one of the three that seems like a real option for third. He's a true shortstop so he can play second, short and third with no problem. But Peraza and Simmons would make an exciting and impressive DP combo, IMO. So it would be hard to pass up starting him at second once he's ready.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Peraza looking like the long term answer at 2b as of right now. No?

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,941 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I'm a fan of LaStella -- but don't remotely buy into the prevailing fantasy around these parts of him being some sort of 'anti-Uggla' savior. The two are comparable defensively, and while TLS might represent an incremental upgrade over Uggo with the bat that's just not enough for me to cut Dan, shake up chemistry, etc.
    This is where I'm at. I think La Stella could be better, but I don't know that. Braves replaced Uggla with Eliot Johnson down the stretch last year, so I don't doubt they will make a move if they believe they have to.

And everyone here knows how little I think of Uggla as a baseball player.

PS--I don't know how Peraza will fill out physically and if he could project to 3B. 3B has to be our weakest position in the minors right now.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    La Stella is low strike out guy and that should translate to the major league level. He also walks a bit which will help as well. If La Stella's batted ball profile is anything resembling an average major leaguer then he will be a massive upgrade over Uggla. It's getting close to the point that I would be done with Uggla. I originally wanted to give him a month and was encouraged by his spring training but if nothing is done by memorial day i will be disappointed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    Yep, Peraza had another three hit game today (including a double) and stole another base too (Peraza has 12 stolen bases so far this year). Peraza is hitting .330 so far in High A. He's also very good defensively so he's looking like a very solid prospect.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    TLS, or move TLS to 3B and Peraza to 2B.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    Peraza is the only one of the three that could do well there. I know Pastornicky can play short, but playing it doesn't make one good at it. He doesn't have the arm to play short regularly, so the same would be true for third. La Stella is considered below average defensively at second, though he may be better than Uggla (hard to be worse right?). And according to what I have heard third isn't seen as option for him either.

To sum it up, Peraza is the only one of the three that seems like a real option for third. He's a true shortstop so he can play second, short and third with no problem. But Peraza and Simmons would make an exciting and impressive DP combo, IMO. So it would be hard to pass up starting him at second once he's ready.
    Just wondering what we might do if both Peraza and La Stella pan out. Peraza to third or center would be the most logical options.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    Just wondering what we might do if both Peraza and La Stella pan out. Peraza to third or center would be the most logical options.
    Who has the stronger arm? Either way up the middle or the left side would be amazing defensively is Peraza can make it. I think we will be lucky if one of them pans out but teams never have problems finding good players places to play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,533 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    Who has the stronger arm? Either way up the middle or the left side would be amazing defensively is Peraza can make it. I think we will be lucky if one of them pans out but teams never have problems finding good players places to play.
    Peraza has the arm. Also speed. If short and second are spoken for, he has the versatility to move elsewhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,420 Posts
    Uggla OPS higher than Prado. Oh well, so much for that idea

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    557 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    There is no way someone can be a downgrade on defense or offense in comparison to what Uggla is providing. Are people even watching how horrible he is?
    Lmao apparently not! They seemed more fixated on the fact that LaStella his horrible defensively and half of them have never seen him play.

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,758 Posts
    IMO, our best options for 2b internally are:

1. TLS
    2. Uggla
    3. Pena
    4. Pastornicky

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received