Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Swanson and Albies

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts

Swanson and Albies

Not to add another topic with these guys, but I think the decision on who's playing SS has to come pretty soon, like in a month or two.

Here's how I see this thing unfolding, if Swanson keeps playing well at AA, in a month or two he's going to get called up to join Albies in the infield; at that point the Braves should make the decision on who's going to SS and who's staying at 2B.

Then you let the two of them play together and develop that familiarity at AAA for a month or two before potentially calling one or both of them up around September.

I'm guessing the Braves already know which one is going to be the SS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Not to add another topic with these guys, but I think the decision on who's playing SS has to come pretty soon, like in a month or two.
    What's the hurry. Seems to me we can wait until spring training. In fact I would want them to play a few weeks in AAA next year on service time grounds. I suspect the club already has an idea. But we can get some additional information by having them alternate positions while playing together in Gwinnett for a couple months this year and a few weeks next year.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-10-2016), Preacher (05-10-2016)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    What's the hurry. Seems to me we can wait until spring training. In fact I would want them to play a few weeks in AAA next year on service time grounds. I suspect the club already has an idea. But we can get some additional information by having them alternate positions while playing together in Gwinnett for a couple months this year and a few weeks next year.
    I completely in every way agree with you.

I just don't think the club does, I think they feel a strange need to get these players up as soon as possible.

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    I completely in every way agree with you.

I just don't think the club does, I think they feel a strange need to get these players up as soon as possible.
    Yep, I don't get it either. It feels shortsighted because this current team sucks.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-10-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,288 Posts
    If we are dead set on having both of them in the opening day lineup next year, then call them both up as soon as the Super 2 deadline passes. They provide more value in Atlanta, then Gwinnett, since it won't impact Super 2 or years of control.

Personally, I would prefer to keep them both down until May of next year, but I think there is a business reason that keeps that from being possible.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Yep, I don't get it either. It feels shortsighted because this current team sucks.
    Ozzie has made it clear he wants to be in the MLB while a teenager.. If the club decides to dick around with him just to save an arb year, then you run the risk of pissing him off for future extension. I would rather promote when they are ready and just buy them out of a few FA years. I don't think locking up Ozzie through his prime years would be a bad move at all..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chop2chip View Post
    If we are dead set on having both of them in the opening day lineup next year, then call them both up as soon as the Super 2 deadline passes. They provide more value in Atlanta, then Gwinnett, since it won't impact Super 2 or years of control.

Personally, I would prefer to keep them both down until May of next year, but I think there is a business reason that keeps that from being possible.
    What is the business reason.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    Ozzie has made it clear he wants to be in the MLB while a teenager.. If the club decides to dick around with him just to save an arb year, then you run the risk of pissing him off for future extension. I would rather promote when they are ready and just buy them out of a few FA years. I don't think locking up Ozzie through his prime years would be a bad move at all..
    If a guy who is 19 years old for eight more months gets pissed that we won't put him in the big leagues, then he has bigger issues to worry about.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-10-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    If a guy who is 19 years old for eight more months gets pissed that we won't put him in the big leagues, then he has bigger issues to worry about.
    No it is about respect. I personally don't want a Bryant situation, when we could easily buy him out of FA for pennies on the dollars if we strike early enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    No it is about respect. I personally don't want a Bryant situation, when we could easily buy him out of FA for pennies on the dollars if we strike early enough.
    Bryant was 23 years old when that happened. There wasn't much more room for development in the minors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    I have not seen anything to indicate that waiting until next year would affect the club's future dealings with either player.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-10-2016)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    And I might note that we had no trouble signing Freeman to a long term deal and he played almost a full year in AAA. We were not able to sign his contemporary who skipped AAA. Not saying that this is anything definitive or that there weren't other factors. But there is no evidence in this situation that waiting until next year will affect the future business relationship with either player.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-10-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,288 Posts
    What is the business reason.
    So, your bosses bosses just spent a few hundred million dollars on a new stadium. There may be a considerable amount of pressure (if much choice at all) from them to make sure the opening act is U2 and not a cover band.

GMs speak about this external marketing pressure that constrains their decision making all the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    So, your bosses bosses just spent a few hundred million dollars on a new stadium. There may be a considerable amount of pressure (if much choice at all) from them to make sure the opening act is U2 and not a cover band.

GMs speak about this external marketing pressure that constrains their decision making all the time.
    If I were the boss I would care about the bottom line. And not just for one particular accounting period.

In terms of the stadium situation, the novelty aspect will propel attendance for a while. Whether Albies and Swanson come up April 1 or May 1 will have minimal effect on revenues.
    Last edited by nsacpi; 05-10-2016 at 12:31 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-10-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    And I might note that we had no trouble signing Freeman to a long term deal and he played almost a full year in AAA. We were not able to sign his contemporary who skipped AAA. Not saying that this is anything definitive or that there weren't other factors. But there is no evidence in this situation that waiting until next year will affect the future business relationship with either player.
    one thing <> to the other..

not saying we put him in the bigs just to make 'fans' happy. just if he proves he is ready at 19.. then you have a special player and bring his ass up and buy him out of FA... don't be a dick and try to control everyone's arb clock.. Show you respect his wishes and reward him for working his ass off to make said dream/goal happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    The club has put Albies on a very fast track. It boggles my mind that there are those around here who think he will feel disrespected if he has to wait a few months after his 20th birthday to make the majors. And furthermore that those feelings of disrespect will affect his future dealings with the club.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nsacpi For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (05-10-2016), Tapate50 (05-10-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,288 Posts
    If I were the boss I would care about the bottom line. And not just for one particular accounting period.

In terms of the stadium situation, the novelty aspect will propel attendance for a while. Whether Albies and Swanson come up April 1 or May 1 will have minimal effect on revenues.
    I don't know their revenue models, so I won't speak to that. In fact, I doubt it would have much to do with bottom line revenue. It makes baseball sense to keep both of them down until May, but I don't think the powers at be are all that interested in our opening day double play combo consisting of Jace Peterson and Daniel Castro.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    I don't know their revenue models, so I won't speak to that. In fact, I doubt it would have much to do with bottom line revenue. It makes baseball sense to keep both of them down until May, but I don't think the powers at be are all that interested in our opening day double play combo consisting of Jace Peterson and Daniel Castro.
    In which case we can re-sign Aybar. The price won't be prohibitive.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    The club has put Albies on a very fast track. It boggles my mind that there are those around here who think he will feel disrespected if he has to wait a few months after his 20th birthday to make the majors. And furthermore that those feelings of disrespect will affect his future dealings with the club.
    This is only an issue if he has "proven" that he is ready, and is still kept down purely for service time purposes. Now when has someone "proven" that they are ready? That is a little subjective. If he wants to be up at 19, but is clearly not ready, then okay. But, if he is held back even though he is clearly ready, then I can see him being disgruntled.

The subjective judgment about when he is actually ready is where there might be disagreement. It should not be ONLY for service time.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,288 Posts
    In which case we can re-sign Aybar. The price won't be prohibitive.
    I think you are missing the point

(that's not to say you aren't right because I agree with you 100% from the baseball ops angle)