Page 66 of 109 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,320 of 2170

Thread: Megathread: Braves lose Maitan, Bae and 10+ plus International Sanctions.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Past summer I would be “ok” with. Fines also. Fines make sense. Fines discipline the owners. Taking picks and signings away almost disciplines the fans as much as the team. I hope they get this right. I’m afraid they will not.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonCowboy View Post
    Further this goes along, the more I believe Hart will be gone.
    Coppy was gone the moment this started. If Hart isn't gone by now I would put my money on him staying.

Other teams were also under investigation, yet none of them fired anyone.

The only person who loses their job over this is probably going to be Coppy, and he wasn't fired because of shady international deals. He was fired to buy the rest of the dinosaurs another year.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBravos View Post
    Past summer I would be “ok” with. Fines also. Fines make sense. Fines discipline the owners. Taking picks and signings away almost disciplines the fans as much as the team. I hope they get this right. I’m afraid they will not.
    If I had to bet, I would bet on the Braves losing some of the most recently signed guys, a fine, and no new international signings for 1-2 years.

Boras' Client
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    406 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    If I had to bet, I would bet on the Braves losing some of the most recently signed guys, a fine, and no new international signings for 1-2 years.
    I would ok with that. Hopefully 1 year (and not 2) on the International signings. That’s probably just being hopeful though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    If the domestic draft infractions turn out to be true loss of draft picks also could happen.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Bowman is saying it's likely we'll lose a couple players.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    I think at minimum we are looking at a fine and losing the international picks that were shady this past summer.
    The interesting thing about this is that that might not include Maitan. He's the sexy name everyone expects to be involved if we do lose players, but in the end we did outbid everybody for him - that has to be taken into account in the end. MLB likely doesn't want to set the precedent that these kids and their reps can play in the gray areas and get huge signing bonuses from one team that gets them in trouble, cash the check, and then become free-agents and start another bidding war for their services.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I think the bigger reason we won't lose Maitain, as other have pointed out, is the MLB doesn't want him to become a FA with teams being able to use any amount of $$ they want. MLB can't have that happen with this kind of prospect.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    The interesting thing about this is that that might not include Maitan. He's the sexy name everyone expects to be involved if we do lose players, but in the end we did outbid everybody for him - that has to be taken into account in the end. MLB likely doesn't want to set the precedent that these kids and their reps can play in the gray areas and get huge signing bonuses from one team that gets them in trouble, cash the check, and then become free-agents and start another bidding war for their services.
    That's not accurate. Coppy: "There was a team that offered Kevin Maitan close to $10 million at the (July 2) deadline,” Coppolella said. “And he wanted to be a Brave because we had formed a bond with his family, and we were able to sign him. … He liked what we were building here. So, for us, we have a lot of pride in what we’ve done. I wish we had more time. I wish we had more money. But, you know, we feel really good about where we’re headed.”

http://www.ajc.com/sports/baseball/l...ynrs0u7IJqlsK/

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    That's not accurate. Coppy: "There was a team that offered Kevin Maitan close to $10 million at the (July 2) deadline,” Coppolella said. “And he wanted to be a Brave because we had formed a bond with his family, and we were able to sign him. … He liked what we were building here. So, for us, we have a lot of pride in what we’ve done. I wish we had more time. I wish we had more money. But, you know, we feel really good about where we’re headed.”

Someone else jumped in during the last month (I think it was the Nationals) with a well-publicized offer that would back up Coppolella's statement.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post

The point is still the same - MLB doesn't want to establish a precedent where a 16 year old international signing gets a huge bonus and then becomes a free-agent who can sign with anyone (even teams who weren't allowed to bid on him during a particular signing period) and go take that money as well. If you allow that, they'll all wind up with the Yankees/Dodgers/Cubs with the Padres'/Braves'/Reds' money in their pockets to boot.

There was talk about the Cardinals making a higher offer at one point that caused him to waver for a bit and made us bump our offer as well IIRC.
    Last edited by clvclv; 10-27-2017 at 10:30 AM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    https://twitter.com/jcrasnick/status/923958650988908544

Braves denied permission to speak with Moore. Would think Hart is gone if that’s the case.

Co-Owner, BravesCenter
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,446 Posts
    That's interesting. In one way, a bullet dodged. In another, more proof that David Glass is an insufferable ass.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    265 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    That's interesting. In one way, a bullet dodged. In another, more proof that David Glass is an insufferable ass.
    Reading between the lines- Hart’s gone JS and his insufferable influence stays. I don’t particuarly want Moore either way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    696 Posts
    Yeah, it's becoming more and more clear each day that Hart is out. Would be huge surprise if he survived this. Big question now is, can the Braves attract an experienced and talented GM to defect by dangling a president of baseball ops title and a top farm system.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    Yeah, it's becoming more and more clear each day that Hart is out. Would be huge surprise if he survived this. Big question now is, can the Braves attract an experienced and talented GM to defect by dangling a president of baseball ops title and a top farm system.
    Yeah, I don't think interest will be an issue. They'll be coming into a great system that will soon be winning games and making them look good.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahomabrave View Post
    Reading between the lines- Hart’s gone JS and his insufferable influence stays. I don’t particuarly want Moore either way.
    This could end up being best case scenario if Hart is out and Moore stays put. It would force them to open up the search more, although it'll probably end up being some old guy who thinks analytics are the devil.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

nsacpi (10-27-2017)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,760 Posts
    Bobby for Interim GM for a year. He can mend the bridge and go back to the dugout to replace Snitker.
    Forever Fredi

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dak View Post
    Would certainly be interested to hear what Jed Hoyer, Matthew Silverman, or Neal Huntington had to say if asked.

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    345 Posts
    Come on down Jonathon Schueholz! Welcome to the big chair.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Millwood1Hitter For This Useful Post:

CJ9 (10-27-2017), Hawk (10-27-2017)