Austin Riley 1-5, 2B, K, E

Alex Jackson 0-2, K, HBP

Jackson left game for pinch-runner after being HBP. injury not known

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    4 errors in 8 games for Riley. He's looking smooth over there and playing plus defense according to BA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    4 errors in 8 games for Riley. He's looking smooth over there and playing plus defense according to BA.
    Dansby was an error machine this year, but overall he was a good SS. Hard to read much on riley’s defense from an error count at the afl imo

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,133 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Dansby was an error machine this year, but overall he was a good SS. Hard to read much on riley’s defense from an error count at the afl imo
    Yes, I'm sure Riley's range at 3B covers up his error issues in the same way Swanson's range at SS covered up his.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Yes, I'm sure Riley's range at 3B covers up his error issues in the same way Swanson's range at SS covered up his.
    Of all people, you know errors <> defensive ability.

footwork, arm strength, range, reflex, route, instincts, etc are all part of the equation. a few silly errors doesn't make him a bad defender just like going 25 games without an error doesn't makes him a good defender. Stop being silly.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post

footwork, arm strength, range, reflex, route, instincts, etc are all part of the equation. a few silly errors doesn't make him a bad defender just like going 25 games without an error doesn't makes him a good defender. Stop being silly.
    Errors don't make a player a bad defender per se, but 4 in 8 games for a non-rangy 3B is definitely not a good sign.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,370 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    Errors don't make a player a bad defender per se, but 4 in 8 games for a non-rangy 3B is definitely not a good sign.
    I have no clue what type of defender he is. But if scout(s) say he looks good over there, then I will take that over a few bad games. I have a feeling he is avg to below avg defender, but I really don't know because I haven't seen him nor have I read much scouting on him. Errors could be caused by a lot of different factors. Hell, a good 1B saves a lot of errors alone.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    In 2015, he had 16 errors in 53 games (.302)
    In 2016, he had 30 errors in 122 games (.246)
    In 2017, he had 20 errors in 127 games (.157)

I think this shows a positive trend and is a much better representation of his error rate than 8 games, but hey, you and enscheff can continue to go full freak out

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts

Its true that fielding % and errors are a terrible way to judge defense generally, but I think Enscheff has a point. If Riley was known for his excellent range, footwork, instinct, and reflexes then the errors wouldn't be a big deal. Since all of these things have been heavily scrutinized in Riley's defense, then he HAS to be sure handed to even come close to competence. The 4 errors in 8 games calls that into question as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Its true that fielding % and errors are a terrible way to judge defense generally, but I think Enscheff has a point. If Riley was known for his excellent range, footwork, instinct, and reflexes then the errors wouldn't be a big deal. Since all of these things have been heavily scrutinized in Riley's defense, then he HAS to be sure handed to even come close to competence. The 4 errors in 8 games calls that into question as well.
    Yeah, use the 8 game sample rather than the 127 game sample this season. For you stat guys that complain about SSS, you sure love to use SSS

11. The Following User Says Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (10-31-2017)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I have no clue what type of defender he is. But if scout(s) say he looks good over there, then I will take that over a few bad games. I have a feeling he is avg to below avg defender, but I really don't know because I haven't seen him nor have I read much scouting on him. Errors could be caused by a lot of different factors. Hell, a good 1B saves a lot of errors alone.
    I don't disagree. And he could just be tired. It's a very SSS (which enscheff hates until one benefits him). My point was that errors are usually excused for rangy defenders, which I'm fairly certain Riley is not considered.
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    In 2015, he had 16 errors in 53 games (.302)
    In 2016, he had 30 errors in 122 games (.246)
    In 2017, he had 20 errors in 127 games (.157)

I think this shows a positive trend and is a much better representation of his error rate than 8 games, but hey, you and enscheff can continue to go full freak out
    Whoa dude. I went full freak out? I think his defense is probably fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    I don't disagree. And he could just be tired. It's a very SSS (which enscheff hates until one benefits him). My point was that errors are usually excused for rangy defenders, which I'm fairly certain Riley is not considered.
    I find it hilarious enscheff hates the idea of Riley getting some positive hype (and an impressive rating at BA) so much that he uses this SSS to tear down Riley.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    Whoa dude. I went full freak out? I think his defense is probably fine.
    Calm down! Quit freaking out!

Ok, maybe I was the excited one haha

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Yeah, use the 8 game sample rather than the 127 game sample this season. For you stat guys that complain about SSS, you sure love to use SSS
    This is a bit of a strawman. I wasn't using an 8 game sample size to illustrate he is poor defender. I was saying that, given the concerns about his range, reaction, etc., that he has to be sure handed in order to be a competent defensive 3rd baseman, and even then he would be below average. And this "positive" trend that you spoke of led to a Fielding % of .939, which is definitely not a positive in any way. Granted fielding position is a poor measurement. The problem is that even the better measurements aren't super high on Riley's defense. So, yeah, 4 errors in 8 games is not a positive sign.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    This is a bit of a strawman. I wasn't using an 8 game sample size to illustrate he is poor defender. I was saying that, given the concerns about his range, reaction, etc., that he has to be sure handed in order to be a competent defensive 3rd baseman, and even then he would be below average. And this "positive" trend that you spoke of led to a Fielding % of .939, which is definitely not a positive in any way. Granted fielding position is a poor measurement. The problem is that even the better measurements aren't super high on Riley's defense. So, yeah, 4 errors in 8 games is not a positive sign.
    How many of his errors were fielding and throwing?

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    To put a .939 fielding % into perspective, that is the same as Nick Castellanos' in his time at 3rd base this past season. In previous seasons his was a good bit better than .939, but he was still a pretty awful defender. Other than what scouts say using the "eye test", there is really not a whole lot to indicate Riley will be anything but a poor defensive 3rd baseman without some significant improvements.

Arbitration Eligible
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    How many of his errors were fielding and throwing?
    I'm not sure, fangraphs doesn't keep track of that for minor leaguers to my knowledge. Maybe there is somewhere you could find it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,704 Posts
    I'm not sure, fangraphs doesn't keep track of that for minor leaguers to my knowledge. Maybe there is somewhere you could find it
    I think it’s pretty relevant. If a good percentage are throwing, then there’s not really any reason to worry considering his arm is considered great.

ETA... pretty crazy you and enscheff consider this awful, but haven’t seen him at all out there. The reports from the ones that have seen him were good
    Last edited by msstate7; 10-31-2017 at 11:51 AM.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    I find it hilarious enscheff hates the idea of Riley getting some positive hype (and an impressive rating at BA) so much that he uses this SSS to tear down Riley.
    It is odd. And we're not allowed to talk about him or be excited about him; we must immediately be talked down to and ridiculed for thinking he may be a decent defender. Bizarre.