Thread: Braves Sign Will Smith

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Martin shouldn’t cost a whole lot so it’s possible. Who wants to guess on the next domino to fall?
    Moose or JD, but i have no idea what AA is planning on doing.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    MLB trade rumors says the Braves will lose the 3rd highest pick... not second. Sounds like there needs to be some clarification
    There has been a lot of confusion over whether or not the Braves are a revenue sharing recipient, which is odd.

I really hope AA didn't give up the Braves 2nd pick for the right to pay market rate on a 30 year old BP arm over 3 years.

This is, by far, my least favorite move of the AA era, and I was not a fan of the MM trade at all. The Braves should be making the next Will Smith out of their collection of arms, not paying FA prices for one.
    Last edited by Enscheff; 11-14-2019 at 07:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,048 Posts
    This makes me think we have more money to play with than is being projected.

Voted Worst Poster
    '13, '14, '15 (Co-Winner)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,831 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by striker42 View Post
    This makes me think we have more money to play with than is being projected.
    It has to be, or this move makes zero sense. Will Smith should be our 4th most important addition, not top 2-3.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    There has been a lot of confusion over whether or not the Braves are a revenue sharing recipient, which is odd.

I really hope AA didn't give up the Braves 2nd pick for the right to pay market rate on a 30 year old BP arm over 3 years.

This is, by far, my least favorite move of the AA era, and I was not a fan of the MM trade at all. The Braves should be making the next Will Smith out of their collection of arms, not paying FA prices for one.
    I am not a fan of giving up the 3rd highest pick to pay a reliever market or even slightly better than market price. With sanctions, we should only be giving up picks for impact offensive players. Pitchers are to risky and our whole rebuild was centered around pitching.

I hope AA has more up his sleeve. I love the idea of a lock down pen. But not at the expense of watching Neck hitting fourth.
    Coppy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Random thoughts in trying to justify this.

AA is confident about Newk starting and preferred Newk+Smith over random $13m SP+RP Newk
    or
    This and restructuring the Markakis and Flowers contracts point to a spending spree
    or
    Newk is going to be in a trade and AA wanted a solid LHRP to replace him

Otherwise I don't get it. Very surprising move.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,361 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    Random thoughts in trying to justify this.

AA is confident about Newk starting and preferred Newk+Smith over random $13m SP+RP Newk
    or
    This and restructuring the Markakis and Flowers contracts point to a spending spree
    or
    Newk is going to be in a trade and AA wanted a solid LHRP to replace him

Otherwise I don't get it. Very surprising move.
    Good thought on Newk in a trade. Plausible imo.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Welcome to Miam.... I mean Atlanta.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

Tapate50 (11-15-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,985 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Wonder if we DFA Greene to save the 6-7 million he’s due. I’m not really a huge Greene fan at all, so I’d be fine with it.
    I would think Greene has enough value to trade him.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Carp For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-15-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    Same. Once the seal is broken, it’s much less of an impediment to signing more QO guys. Ozuna would be nice.
    Assuming they don't sign Donaldson, they'd be on track to have a more or less normal draft. I don't think making it a short handed draft necessarily follows.

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chosen One View Post
    26 mill on Melancon and Smith.

Zaidi must have pics of AA.
    Certainly interesting to say the least - guess I was right about them being serious about giving Newk an honest shot at the #5 slot and AA blowing smoke when he said he was happy with the pen.

Also raises plenty of questions no one here can answer - the main one being "Is Liberty finally following through on McGuirk's promises that payroll would go up once the increased revenue from the new park started to roll in?" We all saw the story about the increased revenues - whether anyone's willing to read anything into what that means or not. Maybe the guesses about the preseason payroll being capped at ~ $130 million are wrong, who knows?

We "know" they're not likely to stand pat and give 3B to Riley - somebody has to hit behind Freddie, even if it's not a RH 3B. Does that mean they think they're close with Moose and/or they're going to trade for Contreras or sign or trade for another legitimate bat to split Freddie and Moose up? There's pretty much no way they go back to having Acuna hit behind Freeman after what happened last year when he was moved back to the top of the order - regardless of what the numbers say.

The Smith signing puts payroll at ~ $100 million with 3B, your 2nd C, one SP, the last spot in the pen, and the 26th-man spot yet to fill. If you sign Donaldson and the "cap" really is $130 million, that leaves you $5 million for a SP, backup C, a RP and another bench option. That's just not happening unless payroll is going up or AA's making at least one blockbuster (if not two).
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    If the payroll is 140 or they have a deal for cost controlled or minimum level hole filler the math could work.

Called Up to the Major Leagues
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    153 Posts
    Greene did a credible job closing for Detroit, not so good for Braves. Still some team should have need of closer or at least upgrade at affordable price. If we believe in Pache coming soon (mid season) then Inciarte is surplus. If AA gets another OFer, Inciarte is still surplus. Trade Ender and Greene and Smiths pay is off set. Both would be assets to Detroit and Im sure there are other teams with similar needs.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PawPawMaxwell View Post
    Greene did a credible job closing for Detroit, not so good for Braves. Still some team should have need of closer or at least upgrade at affordable price. If we believe in Pache coming soon (mid season) then Inciarte is surplus. If AA gets another OFer, Inciarte is still surplus. Trade Ender and Greene and Smiths pay is off set. Both would be assets to Detroit and Im sure there are other teams with similar needs.
    Greene was fine for Atlanta. I don't see why you'd sign Smith to trade or non-tender Greene, but he ought to be pretty easy to move if necessary.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-15-2019)

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcack77 View Post
    If the payroll is 140 or they have a deal for cost controlled or minimum level hole filler the math could work.
    The math "could work", but what kind of deal are they looking at that upgrades the rotation without absolutely backing up the truck? What inexpensive SP is honestly available that doesn't cost you multiple guys from our Top 5-7 prospects?

Maybe they're sold enough on Soroka/Fried/Folty at the front of the rotation that they're willing to try to make the pen bulletproof, but does anyone really believe that's what's going to happen? If Newk/Wright/Wilson/Weigel/Anderson/etc. can't get through a lineup twice, is AA honestly going to let them have the #4 and #5 slots?
    Last edited by clvclv; 11-14-2019 at 09:21 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,899 Posts
    Braves are making more money than most could have thought. The drop in their KPI figure is an accounting exercise. Operating cash flows are strong which is the best predictor of future spending. Ownership sees the benefit of having a good team. The area around the stadium [25 mile radius] is growing and they want to tap that future market with a product that draws people in from day 1.

Bring Bumgarner in and sign Grandal. Fill third base internally and wait for Pache/Waters to take OF spots.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethe View Post
    Braves are making more money than most could have thought. The drop in their KPI figure is an accounting exercise. Operating cash flows are strong which is the best predictor of future spending. Ownership sees the benefit of having a good team. The area around the stadium [25 mile radius] is growing and they want to tap that future market with a product that draws people in from day 1.

Bring Bumgarner in and sign Grandal. Fill third base internally and wait for Pache/Waters to take OF spots.
    I was nodding my head until I disagreed with everything you said in the last paragraph.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (11-15-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts

5.29 road era Bumgarner?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts

Would this even be "ideal"? If Grandal is your RH bat to hit behind Freddie, Snit likely hits Markakis 5th and Riley/Camargo 6th. Do they really believe that MadBum is an $18 million upgrade over the in-house options for the #5 spot in the current rotation?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    Since we're big spenders now, might as well sign Cole and Rendon.
    thank you weso1!

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to weso1 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (11-15-2019), clvclv (11-14-2019), jpx7 (11-15-2019)