Page 19 of 35 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 DRAFT Signing Tracker ... FINAL, JULY 15

Still Playing the Waiting Game bravos4evr's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    135 Posts
    because it had the audacity to suggest that the Johns may not have had infallible foresight.
    you DO understand that we can like the way the draft turned out while also lamenting the stupid decision to sign Markakis and the short sightedness of trading for Olivera right? It's not an "all or nothing" proposition.
    "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"- Tom Waits

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bravos4evr For This Useful Post:

Preacher (06-21-2016)

I <3 Ron Paul + gilesfan sturg33's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,756 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
    you DO understand that we can like the way the draft turned out while also lamenting the stupid decision to sign Markakis and the short sightedness of trading for Olivera right? It's not an "all or nothing" proposition.
    That's the thing... in a vacuum, I am a fan of the draft. I think it could have been better with Lewis over Anderson.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg33 View Post
    I don't know if the Braves felt they could have made the money work. What started this debate was when I said "it looks like we would have been able to get all 3 of them in hindsight" and that apparently set the board on fire because it had the audacity to suggest that the Johns may not have had infallible foresight.
    Nope, but you don't really know. It's not about claiming they have infallible foresight. They brought him in, worked him out. Maybe they talked to him and his agent and got a gauge on what he'd want if drafted at 3? Makes sense, right?

My preference was Lewis over Anderson. Why? Because Anderson was mid-first round talent according to the evaluators, while Lewis was a top 3rd first round talent.
    But was he really? He went 11 - and if we're certain it wasn't because of money - then he was probably rated right around where Anderson was by most teams. It seems to me the league viewed Lewis differently than the evaluators did.

I've seen video of both. I'm not an evaluator, but based on the scouting reports I preferred Lewis to everyone in the draft. Why this is so controversial - I'll never understand. But it seems that if we don't auto applaud the moves we're called trolls and haters.
    As I've stated, that's not all that controversial. I had the same preference (provided the money was the same, which I personally suspect it wasn't). In a vacuum I'd have like Lewis as well. It's the being so sure about things we can't be sure about that is silly, not the preference itself.

Moniak is probably less risky and has a higher floor than Lewis. That's my opinion. I can't tell you why Lewis didn't go first. Perhaps Philly wanted the safer bet and toolsier hitter that they could develop and didnt want to take a risk on a small school kid. That's fair.
    I'm not sure how Moniak would be considered less risky than Lewis, or how he has a higher floor. And I'm not sure what you base that on. Does that mean you would've taken Moniak over Lewis?

to be honest i'm very tired of these hostile conversations and constant jabs (and realize I'm very much responsible for much of it). so i'm gonna stop with the snide remarks and shots and just try and discuss.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to yeezus For This Useful Post:

Preacher (06-21-2016)

Director of Minor League Reports rico43's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    This thread has been the source of some of the most real-reasoned debate I've read anywhere in Chopland. The arguments about Lewis, even with the failed tryout which we know NOTHING about -- there reamain two separate schools of thought about how the draft went.

The first time around, it was very enlightening, and made me happy a few more fans were looking into the inner workings on how you build a farm system/roster.

The second time around, extra layers of reasoning and expanding the debate were brought out on both sides.

The third time around, the debate began to get a little repetitive.

Then there was the fourth time, the fifth time, the sixth time, the seventh time ... OK. Stop debating it already. All the good points on both sides have been made. Until Lewis begins his pro career, and Anderson begins throwing, there is nothing new under the sun, nothing to advance the debate. We've heard all along that the Braves and Anderson had an agreement in place. And now comes the huge stat from gondeee that the Braves have given more pitchers $1 M-plus bonuses this year than in the previous four drafts.

There is a plan at work. Agree or disagree with it. But it is folly to say or assume the Braves don't know what they're doing.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-21-2016)

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    I was leery about Lewis because 1) he played against rather subpar competition compared to guys like Senzel and Ray 2) Lewis's home ballpark is one of the most hitter friendly parks in college baseball, especially inflating power numbers.

For those reasons, I thought he probably isn't as good as his batting line would make you think. I know he did pretty well in the cape cod league but I'm still not convinced about his bat being top of first round level. We'll see I guess but I personally think Senzel will be a much better hitter at the major league level.

There is a reason why Lewis was passed on by the first ten teams. I am happy with our haul, really excited about our three elite high school arms.

Remember, we are getting Maitan along with four other projected international signees bats (hopefully we sign all the guys we are linked to). We also have promising recently signed international bats in Pasche, Cruz,Yepez and Acuna. We are starting to get hitters too.
    Last edited by Pachoo; 06-21-2016 at 06:17 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Pachoo For This Useful Post:

clvclv (06-21-2016)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    I don't know if the Braves felt they could have made the money work. What started this debate was when I said "it looks like we would have been able to get all 3 of them in hindsight" and that apparently set the board on fire because it had the audacity to suggest that the Johns may not have had infallible foresight.

If they didn't think they could sign Lewis - or they LEGIT wanted Anderson more - fine. I don't know. I'm just saying in hindsight, I'm fairly certain we could have made the money work.

My preference was Lewis over Anderson. Why? Because Anderson was mid-first round talent according to the evaluators, while Lewis was a top 3rd first round talent. Because the Braves system has no hitters and Lewis was potentially the top bat in the draft. Because the bust rate of hitters is lower than that of pitchers. Because I'd like to get some offensive talent that can get to the major leagues soon, and Lewis is closer.

I've seen video of both. I'm not an evaluator, but based on the scouting reports I preferred Lewis to everyone in the draft. Why this is so controversial - I'll never understand. But it seems that if we don't auto applaud the moves we're called trolls and haters.

Moniak is probably less risky and has a higher floor than Lewis. That's my opinion. I can't tell you why Lewis didn't go first. Perhaps Philly wanted the safer bet and toolsier hitter that they could develop and didnt want to take a risk on a small school kid. That's fair.

It seems pretty clear to me that the Braves passed on Lewis because they were not sold on him as a player. I don't think it had much to do with his signing demands. They might end up regretting it along with 11 other teams, but seems like it will be an evaluation miss if that turns out to be the case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Jim Callis has tweeted that Mooney has signed for a big, fat $5,000 bonus.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

clvclv (06-21-2016), jpx7 (06-21-2016), KB21 (06-21-2016)

Where's My Cup of Coffee?
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rico43 View Post
    Atta boy Mooney!

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    wow.. .we all need to chip in and send him a gift card to Outback or something.. Anthony in play!!!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

clvclv (06-21-2016), Coach_Chris (06-21-2016)

High School Draftee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    That is awesome news. Hyssong is also signed for $10k leaving only Neslony as the lone top ten pick left unsigned. We already know that Neslony will sign as soon as the college world series is over, probably for $10k as well. I believe this means that we will stay under the over 5% penalty even if Ian Anderson signs for the full $4 Millon exactly.

Hopefully Anderson signs for $3.825M so we can offer Josh Anthony $275k. Hopefully Anderson signs for $3.6 or $3.7M so we can also sign Shumpert.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pachoo View Post
    That is awesome news. Hyssong is also signed for $10k leaving only Neslony as the lone top ten pick left unsigned. We already know that Neslony will sign as soon as the college world series is over, probably for $10k as well. I believe this means that we will stay under the over 5% penalty even if Ian Anderson signs for the full $4 Millon exactly.

Hopefully Anderson signs for $3.825M so we can offer Josh Anthony $275k.

I think we might still be able to if Neslony signs for 10K. Callis tweeted that a guy I had at 275K signed for 150K.. that was another 125K going back into pot. 275 - 100k (allowable) is only 175K. I think we can find 50K somewhere in there..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    232 Posts
    [QUOTE=Pachoo;318650]That is awesome news. Hyssong is also signed for $10k leaving only Neslony as the lone top ten pick left unsigned. We already know that Neslony will sign as soon as the college world series is over, probably for $10k as well. I believe this means that we will stay under the over 5% penalty even if Ian Anderson signs for the full $4 Millon exactly.

Hopefully Anderson signs for $3.825M so we can offer Josh Anthony $275k. Hopefully Anderson signs for $3.6 or $3.7M so we can also sign Shumpert.[/QUOTE]

If I had to guess, that is in play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,448 Posts
    Reported by multiple sources Tuesday that 26th rounder Alan Crowley, a catcher, has signed and has been placed on the GCL roster. Somebody has to catch all these stud pitchers, after all. No bonus amount mentioned.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to rico43 For This Useful Post:

buck75 (06-22-2016)

Making Atlanta Great Again!
    #MAGA!

Promises MADE, Promises KEPT!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,746 Posts
    I have updated the first post with a brand new table/chart with all the picks so it's a bit easier on the eyes to read.
    Forever Fredi

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Chosen One For This Useful Post:

bravescountry (06-22-2016), bravesfanMatt (06-22-2016), buck75 (06-22-2016), dak (06-22-2016), jpx7 (06-22-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Fredi View Post
    I have updated the first post with a brand new table/chart with all the picks so it's a bit easier on the eyes to read.
    Excellent work... two corrections

1. Wentz was 3.05
    2 Round 15 BECHERER signed for 150K per Callis..

Arizona Fall Leaguer
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    We only have Anderson and Neslony to sign in the top 10..
    Assuming we can sign Neslony for CHEAP.. the goal would be to get Anderson to sign for anywhere from $3.5 million - $3.7 million.
    If so, both Josh Anthony and Nick Shumpert are in play for overslot deals without going over the 5% threshold. :)

Anytime Now Frankie...
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Ryan O'Malley is listed on the Danville roster (posted by Julio on today's minors thread).
    Last edited by buck75; 06-22-2016 at 08:07 AM.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to buck75 For This Useful Post:

rico43 (06-22-2016)

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    I thought this was a well written article. It lays out our shot at getting our last two prep players we want.

http://www.talkingchop.com/2016/6/22...ol-update-6-22

A Chip Off the Old Rock Julio3000's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by buck75 View Post
    Ryan O'Malley is listed on the Danville roster (posted by Julio on today's minors thread).
    [MENTION=253]CJ9[/MENTION] made that valuable contribution, I just reposted it in the current day MiL thread.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Did Shumpert sign? I haven't seen anything, but he has a check. I assume that is a mistake, but wanted to check in case I missed something.