Page 82 of 92 FirstFirst ... 32728081828384 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,640 of 1828

Thread: 2019 MLB Draft Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,988 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weso1 View Post
    Anybody want to do a quick day 2 analysis for us folks that don't follow this. A grade will do.
    Not an expert on all the players by any means but I really like what we did on day 2. Seems like we got 3-6 really interesting high upside wild cards from some unlikely places along with some raw athlete guys. I'd give Day 2 a solid B+

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zbhargrove For This Useful Post:

Jaw (06-04-2019), jpx7 (06-04-2019), weso1 (06-05-2019)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    Not an expert on all the players by any means but I really like what we did on day 2. Seems like we got 3-6 really interesting high upside wild cards from some unlikely places along with some raw athlete guys. I'd give Day 2 a solid B+
    I’d largely agree, even though I know next to nothing outside of cursory reading-up. Today’s strategy also helps make sense of yesterday: it really seems like they plan to spread their pool out, hopefully into tomorrow as well, and along those lines pursued some unconventional diamonds in the range you’d expect heavy senior-sign picks.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (06-05-2019), Jaw (06-04-2019), weso1 (06-05-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanieAntics View Post
    Talking Chop was speculating that we drafted Philip specifically because we don't want to sign him so we can't get the 61st pick next year. That'd be pretty odd, but I think its pretty clear at this point that the Braves were not huge fans of this draft class.
    I listened to their draft preview podcast yesterday. I thought they had gotten better, but they combined a surprising lack of knowledge with an annoying sense of self importance. It wasn't very good.
    Go get him!

Founding member of the Whiny Little Bitches and Pricks Club

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaw For This Useful Post:

rico43 (06-05-2019)

10 yr, $185 million Extension
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    I listened to their draft preview podcast yesterday. I thought they had gotten better, but they combined a surprising lack of knowledge with an annoying sense of self importance. It wasn't very good.
    The self importance thing kills me with them. It honestly makes it impossible for me to listen.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ9 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (06-05-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaw View Post
    Wouldn't not signing Philip also lose the slot money?
    i thought i’d they offered him 40% it’s fine?
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    i thought i’d they offered him 40% it’s fine?
    They are required to offer 40% of slot, no matter what, in order receive a compensatory selection the next year. They lose the slot money, no matter what, if they don’t sign the player at that slot.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpx7 For This Useful Post:

50PoundHead (06-05-2019), Jaw (06-05-2019), Super (06-05-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Dana Brown on the 5th round OF we took that Baseball America reported most teams hadn't heard of: “We were shocked when Paolini was still available, and that’s why we grabbed him.”

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ9 View Post
    Dana Brown on the 5th round OF we took that Baseball America reported most teams hadn't heard of: “We were shocked when Paolini was still available, and that’s why we grabbed him.”
    Looking at Paolini's Perfect Game page, he did play in a few showcases, so it is surprising that he wasn't listed by someone somewhere. It's not like Connecticut is a baseball hotbed, so one would think that if he were one of the better players in that state, he would have shown up somewhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Looking at Paolini's Perfect Game page, he did play in a few showcases, so it is surprising that he wasn't listed by someone somewhere. It's not like Connecticut is a baseball hotbed, so one would think that if he were one of the better players in that state, he would have shown up somewhere.
    If he really is a five tools prospect the Braves did well to use a 5th round pick on him.
    "I am a victim, I will tell you. I am a victim."

"I am your retribution."

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nsacpi View Post
    If he really is a five tools prospect the Braves did well to use a 5th round pick on him.
    Depends on where the tools were purchased. Craftsman? Yes! Off-brand? Hard to say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 50PoundHead View Post
    Depends on where the tools were purchased. Craftsman? Yes! Off-brand? Hard to say.
    Apparently he has the speed and arm to play center. That's where Elon was expecting him to play.

My bias is to draft players who are playing short or center with the understanding they will eventually move to a less demanding position. The idea is if they start out at short or center they will be above average defensively at the less demanding position. Also I don't have a problem drafting a player whose most likely path to the majors is as a bench player. These days bench players have to be able to cover multiple positions.

This year we have drafted Shewmake and Philip, who potentially can play any position other than pitcher and catcher, and Harris and Paolini, who have the arm and range to play anywhere in the outfield. As I said I have a bias for those kinds of players (though more so for later rounds, which is why I have more reservations about picking Shewmake than the others. First round picks to me should be mainly about upside).
    Last edited by nsacpi; 06-05-2019 at 08:58 AM.

"I am your retribution."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,360 Posts
    Apparently he has the speed and arm to play center. That's where Elon was expecting him to play.

My bias is to draft players who are playing short or center with the understanding they will eventually move to a less demanding position. The idea is if they start out at short or center they will be above average defensively at the less demanding position.
    sooo overslot?
    "Well, you’ll learn soon enough that this was a massive red wave landslide." - thethe on the 2020 election that trump lost bigly

“I can’t fix my life, but I can fix the world.” - sturg

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts

My bias is to draft players who are playing short or center with the understanding they will eventually move to a less demanding position. The idea is if they start out at short or center they will be above average defensively at the less demanding position. Also I don't have a problem drafting a player whose most likely path to the majors is as a bench player. These days bench players have to be able to cover multiple positions.

This year we have drafted Shewmake and Philip, who potentially can play any position other than pitcher and catcher, and Harris and Paolini, who have the arm and range to play anywhere in the outfield. As I said I have a bias for those kinds of players (though more so for later rounds, which is why I have more reservations about picking Shewmake than the others. First round picks to me should be mainly about upside).
    I agree on the versatility angle. I may have to spring for a one-month subscription to PG to see if and where they had Paolini ranked. Their 500 ranking is a better gauge than what is found on the other sites seeing that they themselves run the showcases.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7,536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    sooo overslot?
    I think most of the guys we picked on day 2, including Paolini, will get bonuses a bit over slot.

"I am your retribution."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,701 Posts
    So what makes a successful draft? How many mlb players?

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,362 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    So what makes a successful draft? How many mlb players?
    A good balance of carbonation and not too much head when served.
    Coppy

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bravesfanMatt For This Useful Post:

Jaw (06-05-2019), jpx7 (06-05-2019), pfiggy (06-06-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

I only give SS/CF guys a premium if their bat figures to play away from that defense-first position.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

Jaw (06-05-2019), jpx7 (06-05-2019)

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,151 Posts

As far as I can tell the basis for believing he is a five tool player is basically the college coach that recruited him saying nice things about him. I'll hold before taking that one at face value.

Elon has considerably lower standards for what plays at various positions than major college programs and certainly the major leagues.

Hessmania Forever
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jpx7 View Post
    I’d largely agree, even though I know next to nothing outside of cursory reading-up. Today’s strategy also helps make sense of yesterday: it really seems like they plan to spread their pool out, hopefully into tomorrow as well, and along those lines pursued some unconventional diamonds in the range you’d expect heavy senior-sign picks.
    I'm surprised there wasn't a true senior drafted. DeVito is classified as a senior academically, but has a year of eligibility left. I have no idea how the pool will be allocated. There doesn't appear to be any post-Round 10 wildcards coming because I don't know if they could scare up enough dough to land someone who classified as a difficult sign.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to 50PoundHead For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (06-05-2019)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,492 Posts
    Round 11 starts at 12 pm today. Interested to see if we take some high schoolers early and try to go overslot or stay with the college approach.