Thread: Help

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Help

I understand what FV and WAR are, but I want to get a better understanding as to what leads into those rating systems as well as other measurements like fWAR, UZR, Outs Against Average, etc. Is there a book or website that’s better than the others? For those of you who know, what would you suggest? Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by brian22; 01-04-2018 at 04:03 PM.

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,856 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brian22 View Post
    I understand what FV and WAR are, but I want to get a better understanding as to what leads into those rating systems as well as other measurements like fWAR, UZR, Outs Against Average, etc. Is there a book or website that’s better than the others? For those of you who know, what would you suggest? Thank you in advance.
    UZR: https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-...hs-uzr-primer/

Outs Above AVerage: http://m.mlb.com/glossary/statcast/outs-above-average

fWAR: https://www.fangraphs.com/library/misc/war/

A brief rundown of what you mentioned here.

fWAR is just Fangraphs version of WAR. Currently there are 2 main versions. bWAR (baseball-refernece) and fWAR. So it just depends on which site you use. The main difference (for position players) is how each site calculates defense. There are 2 public advanced defensive stats that measure an overall players defensive rating. That's UZR and the DRS. Both try to determine how many runs a player has saved (or cost) than the average player at his position. Fangraphs uses UZR (ultimate zone rating) and Baseball-Ref uses DRS (defensive runs saved). So that's why you can sometimes see vast differences between the two sites depending on how a particular rating treats a player defensively. Both sites essentially have the same baseline on offense.

Outs Above Average is part of the next step for defense. It's based on statcast data (which is the best that we can possibly get right now). The only thing is that it's currently only available for outfielders and only determines a players range on balls in the air. So while it's a good stat it doesn't tell the whole picture (yet). Mainly what would still be missing is how a players arm, any errors they may commit, and cutting balls off in the gap. It's a huge step in the right direction.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (01-05-2018), Julio3000 (01-05-2018), The Chosen One (01-05-2018)

Spring Training Invitee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Thank you! I’ve got some reading ahead of me today.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to brian22 For This Useful Post:

The Chosen One (01-05-2018)