Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MONDAY MINORS FINAL 8/13/18: One-hit mastery x 2

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    239 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherders View Post
    Allard's only 20. I think there is time to make him into something. Remember, Mike Minor was kind of a junkballer early in his minors career and then got some velo later on.
    It's more like he was thought of as a junk baller, but suddenly his stuff shot up his first year in the minors.
    Aggression with prospects is fine, but being stupid is not. There should be a way to find a happy medium between a Pirates like idea of being overly cautious with prospects and going stupidly fast with prospects.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to GeorgiaGirl For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-14-2018)

Approaching Buddy Hernandez Territory
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    93 Posts
    Right, the Braves made mechanical adjustments to Minor's delivery and he had increased velocity almost immediately. His strikeout numbers were absurd. This is who Allard is.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to atl717 For This Useful Post:

jpx7 (08-14-2018)

Very Flirtatious, but Doubts What Love Is. jpx7's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,829 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    And/or made it just improvements. Not changing him. It is just like when I added shutters to my double wide. I didn’t change it really just improved it. Or that spoiler kit for my 89 civic. Still a civic. Just rockin cool now.
    Speaking of “improvements”: pretty good article from The Guardian this week on the community blight of [MENTION=59]Enscheff[/MENTION]’s favorite, the Dollar General, which sells itself to towns as an improvement, but actually further chokes them down into destitution and irrelevance, diminishing them faster than Allard’s prospect status.
    Last edited by jpx7; 08-14-2018 at 02:18 PM.
    "For all his tattooings he was on the whole a clean, comely looking cannibal."

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Allard apologists are going to defend him until they are blue in the face because they can’t admit they were wrong about him. At this point all we can do is hope he beats the odds and adds significant velocity.

Steve Harvey'd
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,353 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Allard apologists are going to defend him until they are blue in the face because they can’t admit they were wrong about him. At this point all we can do is hope he beats the odds and adds significant velocity.
    I doubt he ever does. But here is my theory. High school he killed it. Hitting mid 90s. Back problems cause major surgery. Comes back and is drafted and back is hurt again. Minor back surgery. Comes back and coaches tweek delivery to relieve pressure on back at the cost of velocity.

I think if he ever wants to be successful, he needs to find that velocity he once had. Even at the risk it could have on health. His other stuff is not good enough to carry a hittable fastball.
    Coppy

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanMatt View Post
    I doubt he ever does. But here is my theory. High school he killed it. Hitting mid 90s. Back problems cause major surgery. Comes back and is drafted and back is hurt again. Minor back surgery. Comes back and coaches tweek delivery to relieve pressure on back at the cost of velocity.

I think if he ever wants to be successful, he needs to find that velocity he once had. Even at the risk it could have on health. His other stuff is not good enough to carry a hittable fastball.
    Allard was mid-90s for 1 single innings in a showcase game. The Braves bit based on that bump in velocity.

Allard was always low-90s. The hope was he would grow into more. He didn't. He probably won't.

12:18
    Kiley McDaniel: Allard was 90-93 as an amateur and was 92-96 for one inning in the PG All American game in August before the draft. He’s basically been 88-94 every outing of his life except for that one, but he was an athletic 16-year-old with three pitches and feel so, despite not being projectable, some thought he would mature into more velo. The back issue didn’t help, but that was always a bit optimistic. This is about what he is.

Awaiting a Promotion chipchildress's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    damn, that was some nice rational thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enscheff View Post
    Allard was mid-90s for 1 single innings in a showcase game. The Braves bit based on that bump in velocity.

Allard was always low-90s. The hope was he would grow into more. He didn't. He probably won't.

12:18
    Kiley McDaniel: Allard was 90-93 as an amateur and was 92-96 for one inning in the PG All American game in August before the draft. He’s basically been 88-94 every outing of his life except for that one, but he was an athletic 16-year-old with three pitches and feel so, despite not being projectable, some thought he would mature into more velo. The back issue didn’t help, but that was always a bit optimistic. This is about what he is.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chipchildress View Post
    damn, that was some nice rational thinking.
    An obsessed fan following me around the forums...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    **** yeah. the only place for rational thought here, i figured i'd better stay close.

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6,108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chipchildress View Post
    **** yeah. the only place for rational thought here, i figured i'd better stay close.
    How many Bud Lights from the dollar store did you suck down so far tonight hero?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    POST MORE!