Results 4,661 to 4,680 of 11579

Thread: 2018 Offseason And Targets

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zbhargrove View Post
    What? His quote was “I don’t care what anyone says, we are still in the running for Bryce Harper. A lot of people don’t know this but he loves Atlanta."

But keep on doing the clv
    If you're listening to Frenchy word-for-word when he's giving interviews, you're grasping for straws, and you know it.

He stated that was his feeling, and didn't quote a single source. If you were listening to the interview you knew that too. It was like he was talking to someone he saw in a Wal Mart parking lot.

What's next, Chip as the insider?

Of course the bigger question is what is anyone doing listening to XM anyway? You're aware His Highness has called those people idiots, right? Better redact your post before you're considered part of that group.
    Last edited by clvclv; 12-19-2018 at 04:49 PM.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clvclv View Post
    If you're listening to Frenchy word-for-word when he's giving interviews, you're grasping for straws, and you know it.

He stated that was his feeling, and didn't quote a single source. If you were listening to the interview you knew that too. It was like he was talking to someone he saw in a Wal Mart parking lot.

What's next, Chip as the insider?

Of course the bigger question is what is anyone doing listening to XM anyway? You're aware His Highness has called those people idiots, right? Better redact your post before you're considered part of that group.
    I don't think there's any chance in hell we get Harper... I'm just pointing out how wrong you were. You said Frenchy didn't mention we were still in the running... when I gave you the direct quote him saying "we are still in the running." I just think it's funny you are attributing what was said when you obviously didn't hear it. I'm not using it as a source I'm just pointing out once again that you just post whatever comes to your brain, wrong or right. And then when proven wrong you have a half hearted attempt to shame me lol
    Last edited by zbhargrove; 12-19-2018 at 05:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Someone asked me if the Dickey trade was an example of what I meant by saying that AA usually made good trades. I ignored that question for obvious reasons. But I will say that AA's trade for Donaldson and his finding a taker for Vernon Well's and all that money he was owed, were two of the most impressive trades I have seen made by any GM. The Vernon Wells trade was just insane, AA did what shouldn't have been possible.

Anytime Now Frankie... tululush's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    180 Posts
    I quickly grabbed this from the first article on google. But this is from that article referring to the Vernon Wells trade.

“Three years ago today, Alex Anthopoulos did the impossible (well I guess not the impossible, but surely the improbable) by trading Vernon Wells (and $5 million) to the Angels for Mike Napoli and Juan Rivera.

Our reaction to the trade? Well:

Disbelief. And then, well, joy. Reaction from the rest of the Jays blog roll and the rest of the media was much the same.

The timing of the trade was beautiful. In 2010 Vernon earned $15,687,500, he had a really good season and was well worth the money. In 2011 he made $26,187,500 (who was the one that decided on such strange numbers?). We paid $5 million of that, and he was terrible. Last year he made $21 million and next year he gets the same to not play baseball for the Yankees. The Angels are playing $18.6 million of that $21.“

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,967 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    Someone asked me if the Dickey trade was an example of what I meant by saying that AA usually made good trades. I ignored that question for obvious reasons. But I will say that AA's trade for Donaldson and his finding a taker for Vernon Well's and all that money he was owed, were two of the most impressive trades I have seen made by any GM. The Vernon Wells trade was just insane, AA did what shouldn't have been possible.
    Clv was a big fan of the Dickey trade... he defended it in novels

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,642 Posts
    Clv was a big fan of the Dickey trade... he defended it in novels
    When he says something, the safe bet is the opposite is true. He said after the Brantley signing ''That contract makes me wonder if AA has any money left.''

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    AA, for love of God, please sign/acquire someone soon... this Dickey trade talk is driving me insane

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to msstate7 For This Useful Post:

buck75 (12-19-2018), CrimsonCowboy (12-19-2018), Freshmaker (12-19-2018), JohnAdcox (12-20-2018), jpx7 (12-19-2018), Managuarantano's Volunteers (12-19-2018), salmagundy (12-19-2018), UNCBlue012 (12-20-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    AA, for love of God, please sign/acquire someone soon... this Dickey trade talk is driving me insane
    Do I need to explain expected surplus value again?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

Managuarantano's Volunteers (12-19-2018), msstate7 (12-19-2018)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Please!
    It’s been dreadful lately

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,123 Posts
    Clv was a big fan of the Dick
    Fixed...bwahahaha

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hudson2 View Post
    Fixed...bwahahaha
    IQ level here is dropping daily. AA has to make some news ! SOON!
    Ivermectin Man

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Here's my somewhat realistic, depending on moves made by us and other teams list of outfielders I could see happening. It's listed by projected WAR, although Frazier's is schewed as they don't have him getting any at bats in that outfield.

Marcell Ozuna 3.7 (This would depend on them going after a big name and needing to clear payroll and a job)
    Starling Marte 3.4 (Hard to see this happening because of his value to them while Polanco is out)
    AJ Pollock 3.1 (Possible, pending years)
    Mitch Haniger 3 (Possible, pending prospect capital)
    Travis Shaw 2.8 (would depend on who they acquire, but I think they had him on the block at the deadline, also think he could play LF for a season and mvoe to 3B when Donaldson leaves)
    Joc Pederson 2.7 (very reasonable acquisition)
    Max Kepler 2.7 (GM has been making value moves, so he may be holding on to Max seeing the breakout possibility)
    Whit Merrifield 2.7 (Dayton should trade him. He's an idiot if he holds on to him)
    David Peralta 2.6 (Should also be traded and a likely acquisition)
    Chris Taylor 2.4 (If available, would be a good addition)
    Corey Dickerson 2 (not much of an upgrade, but he'd be in his contract year where he could miraculously have a career year)
    Ian Happ 1.5 (I'd really like Happ, but with the Russell situation they may keep him for his versatility. Would be a great buy low situation though)
    Clint Frazier 0.2 (I'd like Frazier, but more as a replacement for Duvall teamed up with a guy like Joc and not the answer to LF)
    Last edited by Chico; 12-20-2018 at 09:28 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Chico For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-20-2018)

Sabermetric Slut
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,837 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Here's my somewhat realistic, depending on moves made by us and other teams list of outfielders I could see happening. It's listed by projected WAR, although Frazier's is schewed as they don't have him getting any at bats in that outfield.

Marcell Ozuna 3.7 (This would depend on them going after a big name and needing to clear payroll and a job)
    Starling Marte 3.4 (Hard to see this happening because of his value to them while Polanco is out)
    Travis Shaw 2.8 (would depend on who they acquire, but I think they had him on the block at the deadline, also think he could play LF for a season and mvoe to 3B when Donaldson leaves)
    Max Kepler 2.7 (GM has been making value moves, so he may be holding on to Max seeing the breakout possibility)
    Whit Merrifield 2.7 (Dayton should trade him. He's an idiot if he holds on to him)
    Corey Dickerson 2 (not much of an upgrade, but he'd be in his contract year where he could miraculously have a career year)
    Ian Happ 1.5 (I'd really like Happ, but with the Russell situaiton they may keep him for his versatility. Would be a great buy low situation though)
    Clint Frazier 0.2 (I'd like Frazier, but more as a replacement for Duvall teamed up with a guy like Joc and not the answer to LF)
    You forgot Nick Markakis: 1.2

17. The Following User Says Thank You to thewupk For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-20-2018)

NL Rookie of the Year
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thewupk View Post
    You forgot Nick Markakis: 1.2
    That was on purpose :)

NL Rookie of the Year CrazyTrain's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Braves1976 View Post
    Coppy fleeced the d-backs for Ender and Swanson and he might be the worst executive in the history of the sport. Even a blind mouse finds the cheese once in a while.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyTrain For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-20-2018)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,881 Posts
    I’d hate to cough up a pick, but AJ Pollocks going rate has to have dropped a bit. 4 years get it done? 4/60? Think any chance he takes 3?
    Ivermectin Man

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    I’d hate to cough up a pick, but AJ Pollocks going rate has to have dropped a bit. 4 years get it done? 4/60? Think any chance he takes 3?
    I'd bite at that

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    I don't think there's any chance in hell we get Harper... I'm just pointing out how wrong you were. You said Frenchy didn't mention we were still in the running... when I gave you the direct quote him saying "we are still in the running." I just think it's funny you are attributing what was said when you obviously didn't hear it. I'm not using it as a source I'm just pointing out once again that you just post whatever comes to your brain, wrong or right. And then when proven wrong you have a half hearted attempt to shame me lol
    Did you even read the post before trying to climb my *ss? You keep whining about reading comprehension, how did you misunderstand...

"He actually didn't say we were "in on him" - it was one of those "we've all been told that they've got more money than they've spent, and from some reports I've read - significantly more money - so I'm not ready to rule it out" deals."

He did mention (as someone pointed out earlier) that he thinks that Harper and Freeman have become "buddies" for what that's worth, and said that Bryce "loves Atlanta" - although I have no clue where he's been told that since he didn't say that came directly from Harper.

As for your specific "we are still in the running", absolutely. Atlanta and 29 other teams until he signs.
    Has there EVER been a statement and question a certain someone should absolutely never have made and asked publicly more than...

Kinda pathetic to see yourself as a message board knight in shining armor. How impotent does someone have to be in real life to resort to playing hero on a message board?

"What is a clvclv"
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,628 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tapate50 View Post
    He obviously knows he's not getting the Cain contract, and given the fact that Brantley settled for two years it's tough to see him drawing a line in the sand at 4 to be honest. Somebody's probably going to go there, but they'll regret it.

If he'd take the shorter deal, I wouldn't mind stepping up the AAV - say 3/$54 million?

It's OVER 5,000!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post

Ian Happ 1.5 (I'd really like Happ, but with the Russell situaiton they may keep him for his versatility. Would be a great buy low situation though)

I would say the most realistic winter acquisitions here are:

Pollock -- Braves were not willing to go 16 AAV on Brantley or Cutcheon. Pollock expected to exceed both in years in AAV. Draft pick attached as well and injury prone. This doesn't feel likely.

Merrifield -- Not an ideal fit as a LF, but versatile as hell and his OBP would seem to be a fit somewhere. Royals should be happy with what the Braves could offer, but the question is whether they are realistic about his trade value. If they value him like a breakout 5 WAR guy with lots of control, this deal does not make sense for Atlanta. If they are more realistic, it could be workable.

Peralta - Diamondbacks should be happy with what Braves have and don't have much incentive to keep him. But Braves did not like the price when they checked in. Watch him though.

Puig - you didn't mention him, but I don't think the Braves match up particularly well with the Dodgers as far as the return for the other guys. Seems like they would want something that upgraded the MLB team and it's difficult to see the Braves parting with the assets that would do that for them. But maybe the Dodgers would be happy to shed Puig's salary and take on a longer term asset in something of a dump.

Frazier - Yankees don't really have a spot for him, though I suppose they could hold him and move Gardiner. For either, they might be willing to take controllable pitching that could help their pen.

In-Season Deadline:

Corey Dickerson seems pretty obviously destined to move. The Pirates are not going to be in it. I could see them make this move in the winter, but don't see any obvious options for replacing him. I think the Pirates don't want to concede after making those odd moves at last year's deadline.

Sterling Marte - but when they do, might as well move Marte and/or Polonco if the market is right.

Ozuna - I consider him a long shot to be available, but if Cards fall out of it, they might see some reorganizing trades as something to do. Goldy, Carpenter, and maybe Ozuna might fit into that. But Ozuna's deal is pretty good and the Cards probably aren't going to be looking at full tear down.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Southcack77 For This Useful Post:

JohnAdcox (12-20-2018)